Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Does chrome cast have RTE Player & 3 Player

• 19-07-2018 7:17am

My tv doesn’t have apps and would like to watch the RTÉ and tv3 on my tv thanks to catch up on the soaps

If I bought one will I be able to get what I’m looking for?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,751 ✭✭✭Ste-

Nope they don't.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,569 ✭✭✭mugsymugsy

Ste- wrote: »
    Nope they don't.

I can watch rte player cast from my iPad to my Chromecast that is plugged into USB port on my TV.

Can't remember about 3 player

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

You can cast video that's playing on your device's screen to the TV. Not quite the same thing as built in Chromecast though.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,100 ✭✭✭ectoraige

And it's not a case of Chromecast not having RTE or TV3 - it's a case of RTE and TV3 not supporting Chromecast.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,168 ✭✭✭Ursus Horribilis

ectoraige wrote: »
    And it's not a case of Chromecast not having RTE or TV3 - it's a case of RTE and TV3 not supporting Chromecast.

I read ages ago that RTE was going to revamp its player and add Chromecast compatibility to it. That never seems to have happened.

• Advertisement

• Ah seriously lol thanks for the replies

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭degsie

Chromecast doesn't 'have' anything. You cast 'things' to it, it they allow.

• Registered Users Posts: 955 ✭✭✭Poncke

degsie wrote: »
    Chromecast doesn't 'have' anything. You cast 'things' to it, it they allow.

This

• Registered Users Posts: 1,859 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

I read ages ago that RTE was going to revamp its player and add Chromecast compatibility to it. That never seems to have happened.

They did on iOS, but not Android for some reason.
    But it has never worked right for me - the bottom and right of the image is cut off.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,541 ✭✭✭duridian

They did on iOS, but not Android for some reason.
    But it has never worked right for me - the bottom and right of the image is cut off.

Yep. Chromecasting from RTE Player on iOS did the exact same when I tried it a while back. Even though Chromecast is a Google thing RTE have never had it in Android Player app.
    Not missing much anyway. RTE is like one of those never ending CCTV tapes they used to have before the hard drive recorders became the norm. Leave it on for a few hours and the same things will just wind around again and get played. :p

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 39 mhaise

duridian wrote: »
    Yep. Chromecasting from RTE Player on iOS did the exact same when I tried it a while back. Even though Chromecast is a Google thing RTE have never had it in Android Player app.
    Not missing much anyway. RTE is like one of those never ending CCTV tapes they used to have before the hard drive recorders became the norm. Leave it on for a few hours and the same things will just wind around again and get played. :p

Anything that you have on your phone can be cast to a TV. Chromecast as mentioned above doesn't have any apps in it. It just receives whatever is on your device.

Just to see how RTE Player comes up on the TV I have RTE Player on my Android phone I tested it out just now, my phone screen was mirrored EXACTLY as how it was on my phone screen.

If I held the phone in Portrait Mode then that is what I'd see on the screen. When I changed to Landscape Mode my phone and TV were the same.

Of course you have to have RTE Player on your phone to cast it, download RTE Player or 3 Player or any other similar app that you want to cast to your TV.

I sometimes also use your TV as a large phone monitor to show PowerPoint presentations on a TV or you can work on a Word, Excel documents or what ever you want.

You can cast YouTube videos, Photos etc. In other words if you have it on your phone screen you can view a larger version of it on your TV

In effect with Chromecast it turns your 'dumb' TV into a 'smart' TV. I've been using it for years on both Android and IOS, also on Windows and Apple iMac.

If you have the Mobdro app on your phone it gives you TV Channels, News, Shows, Movies, Music, Gaming, Tech or many more categories and the great thing about it is that IT'S FREE :)

• Registered Users Posts: 237 ✭✭tonkpills

I use https://itunes.apple.com/ie/app/mirror-for-chromecast/id1196258230 for any apps on my phone that doesn't support Chromecast natively. Used it for TV3 Paramedics, worked fine but might need to close it and reopen it after a few episodes as a bit of audio lag was introduced. Essentially it bolts onto the screen recording where Mirror Chromecast will appear as a broadcasting device.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,806 ✭✭✭ Laylah Acidic Soberness

mhaise wrote: »
    Chromecast as mentioned above doesn't have any apps in it.

Not quite.

As you've outlined, you can mirror the content on your device to the Chromecast, job done.

But most big media apps (e.g. Netflix, Youtube) have a dedicated app that runs on the Chromecast. This is not an app you install yourself but it is an app that Nextflix/Youtube have developed and that runs on the Chromecast device.

If for example you ever stream from Android Netflix to your Chromecast you'll noticed that:
    1. When you launch Netflix & connect it to your Chromecast the Netflix logo/"ready to cast" appears on the TV screen first. Even though that is not mirrored from your device.
    2. When you play a show it plays on your TV but you actually see playback controls on the Netflix app on your phone.
    3. You can simply turn off your phone and the streaming continues to work. This is because the content is being streamed from Netflix to the app on your Chromecast not from Netflix to your phone

RTE, last I checked, had not implemented any Chromecast integration so you're left with just mirroring.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭degsie

Chromecast uses a scaled down version of Google Chrome. So no apps in the classical sense.

Not quite.

As you've outlined, you can mirror the content on your device to the Chromecast, job done.

But most big media apps (e.g. Netflix, Youtube) have a dedicated app that runs on the Chromecast. This is not an app you install yourself but it is an app that Nextflix/Youtube have developed and that runs on the Chromecast device.

If for example you ever stream from Android Netflix to your Chromecast you'll noticed that:
    1. When you launch Netflix & connect it to your Chromecast the Netflix logo/"ready to cast" appears on the TV screen first. Even though that is not mirrored from your device.
    2. When you play a show it plays on your TV but you actually see playback controls on the Netflix app on your phone.
    3. You can simply turn off your phone and the streaming continues to work. This is because the content is being streamed from Netflix to the app on your Chromecast not from Netflix to your phone

RTE, last I checked, had not implemented any Chromecast integration so you're left with just mirroring.

OK,
    I don't have Netflix so wouldn't know about that.
    I just go into an app, then from the Notifications select Cast, YouTube has it's own cast icon so I can click on that to cast also. Either way it finds my Chromecast and whatever is on my phone continues on the TV, as you say in YouTube I find that I can switch off my phone once video starts.
    I also cast the screen on my Windows laptop using the Chrome browser. I think you have to have the Chromecast plugin installed in the Chrome browser but not sure about that.
    When I click on the 3 dots on right side of the screen I have the Cast option.
    Doesn't work with IE
    The phone I'm using is a Nexus 5

• Registered Users Posts: 45 stannman

This is the article where RTE announced that the new chromecast-compatible version was expected before end 2017.

https://digitalblog.rte.ie/2017/04/26/rte-announces-plans-to-develop-the-next-generation-rte-player/

Anyone have any updates on timing?

stannman wrote: »
    This is the article where RTE announced that the new chromecast-compatible version was expected before end 2017.

https://digitalblog.rte.ie/2017/04/26/rte-announces-plans-to-develop-the-next-generation-rte-player/

Anyone have any updates on timing?

I just tried out the RTE player a few minutes ago and noticed that it has a Cast icon. I'm using and iPhone 7 running IOS 12 having updated it a couple of days ago when it came out. At the minute I'm watching a program now and it's running fine.

In the past I hadn't seen any Cast icon as I mentioned in a previous post I used to just use a browser to get RTE Player and cast it from my Android Nexus 5

I just updated the Android version on my Nexus 5 and found out that it doesn't have the Cast icon so it seems that RTE are only supporting Apple IOS for their player :-((

Hopefully in time they'll get their finger out and realise that lots of people have Android phones

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭Peadar_85

Has the Chromecast icon disappeared for anybody else off the latest RTE Player update yesterday (version 3.0.3)? IOS user here.

Advertisement