Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Irish Game

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,030 ✭✭✭Guffy

Schedules to be officially released tomorrow or monday. Excited much?

Anyone know why the vipers refused to join the SBC? Seems a strange one to me, unless the thought of it sent a lot of lads back to tyrone?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Guffy wrote: »

Anyone know why the vipers refused to join the SBC? Seems a strange one to me, unless the thought of it sent a lot of lads back to tyrone?

no the tyrone lads still there

• Registered Users Posts: 393 ✭✭IP freely

The Vipers didn't refuse to go up they were invited up (without winning promotion) by the league an invite they thought about, initially accepted but then before the deadline declined.

There's lots a factors as to why, things like there home ground got severely flooded at the tail end of last year, a good lot of gear with it, when it dried up (5 weeks later) Japanese knotwood was found meaning it might never by playable again.

Going up would be at the detriment of the team, with all that was going on postseason. Better to stay put and try and earn promotion over the next few seasons than go up underprepaired.

Oh and there were rumours after the AGM that Vipers can't field a team, rest assured that this never has been the case and hopefully never will be. It won't be the 45 / 50 squad of last 2016, but a long way off not fielding a team.

:)

• Registered Users Posts: 8 GuiltyAir

Jaysus, didn't knot about this.

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭RTighe

eet fuk wrote: »
    Thinking of heading out for the Cill Dara Crusaders rookie day tomorrow. Anyone here involved with the team? Anyone know what I could expect?

For some reason my posts won’t go through on the Facebook page so I’m just asking here on the off chance anyone has done something similar recently!

Hi,

Only thought to check the boards here and saw your post!
    Just to let you know we have relocated to the Naas Sports Centre.

if you have any questions about the team i'll do my best to answer

Rob (Secretary for Cill Dara Crusaders)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 152 ✭✭Paladonia

Been tempted to tryout for one of the local teams for a couple of years now but always been put off by having never played the sport, and not being particularly big (5'11", 82kg).

I am fairly fit - I go to the gym and have played other sports previously, and have a good knowledge of the sport from watching it for years.

Anyone have similar experiences or advice?

• Registered Users Posts: 35 Colohall

Paladonia wrote: »
    Been tempted to tryout for one of the local teams for a couple of years now but always been put off by having never played the sport, and not being particularly big (5'11", 82kg).

I am fairly fit - I go to the gym and have played other sports previously, and have a good knowledge of the sport from watching it for years.

All I would say is to do it. Don't worry about lack of experience, most guys in this league came in with no experience.

And don't worry about the size either. There are positions for all shapes and sizes. I'm only 5'5" and 75kg and have played 5 years

• Registered Users Posts: 1,340 ✭✭✭conor222

Just swing out and give it a go, I played over in the UK for a few years at a very similar size to you 5'10 and 82-85kg. Are you quick? I really enjoyed CB and S but we played all over once injuries came in (including a very eventful series with me as DE :pac::pac::pac:)

conor222 wrote: »
    Just swing out and give it a go, I played over in the UK for a few years at a very similar size to you 5'10 and 82-85kg. Are you quick? I really enjoyed CB and S but we played all over once injuries came in (including a very eventful series with me as DE :pac::pac::pac:)

I was thinking CB or maybe a slot receiver. I wouldn't say I'm quick but I'm not slow either.

Thanks for the replies so far. Plenty more time to weigh up my options before next season rolls around anyway.

I was thinking CB or maybe a slot receiver. I wouldn't say I'm quick but I'm not slow either.

Thanks for the replies so far. Plenty more time to weigh up my options before next season rolls around anyway.

Keep an eye out for teams running Rookie Days. Most, if not all, teams run them and are a very good way to get introduced to playing

• Advertisement

I came in two years ago 6ft and 70Kg

theres a position for most builds and i'd no experience, just went in for the craic more than anything else, I haven't looked back since.

Well worth picking up. where are you based?

RTighe wrote: »
    I came in two years ago 6ft and 70Kg

theres a position for most builds and i'd no experience, just went in for the craic more than anything else, I haven't looked back since.

Well worth picking up. where are you based?

North Kildare so I was thinking maybe the team based in Westmanstown.

Panthers!

good bunch of lads, lot of experience there, We're in Naas ourselves.

But definitely stick your head into a club, they're always looking for new players and to be honest, the craic and the fun is brilliant.

The 2 Kildare teams have merged and are based in Naas. Sound bunch of lads, and could do with more bodies so good landing spot for someone starting out

Thanks lads.

Is there much travelling involved for games? I see that there are teams from Belfast, Limerick, etc.

Thanks lads.

Is there much travelling involved for games? I see that there are teams from Belfast, Limerick, etc.

Depends on the group you're in,

we had to visit galway, (warriors) Meath (bulldogs), westmanstown (minotaurs) and portadown (Craigavon cowboys).

but we also hosted vipers (Donegal / Derry) Rhinos (dublin) Pirates (dublin) Eagles (Wexford)

so you will be travelling regardless, it depends if the club will front for a bus or if you can carpool.

we did both, carpooled for meath and westmantown, and bus for portadown and galway

all the best

Rob

Colohall wrote: »
    The 2 Kildare teams have merged and are based in Naas. Sound bunch of lads, and could do with more bodies so good landing spot for someone starting out

We need all the bodies we can get!

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Are there any underage (u-16)teams ?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,030 ✭✭✭Guffy

naughtb4 wrote: »
    Are there any underage (u-16)teams ?

No. The youth system atm is for 16-19 year olds.

Id imagine we are quite a long way from an u16 league

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

No. The youth system atm is for 16-19 year olds.

Id imagine we are quite a long way from an u16 league

Cheers new neighbours kid used to play in Spain, said I'd ask

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,332 ✭✭✭Always Be Closing

Hi guys

Extremely interested in training, learning and hopefully playing with a team in Dublin - I'm totally open minded, going into this as a complete novice but will be 100% dedicated and committed. 31, 6'2, 184lbs.

Is there any way you can assist me or point me in the right direction? When does the Irish league traditionally start? I'm currently living in Smithfield/City Centre but willing to travel anywhere.

Like I said, I have zero experience but willing to learn!

Any info greatly appreciated

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Hi guys

Extremely interested in training, learning and hopefully playing with a team in Dublin - I'm totally open minded, going into this as a complete novice but will be 100% dedicated and committed. 31, 6'2, 184lbs.

Is there any way you can assist me or point me in the right direction? When does the Irish league traditionally start? I'm currently living in Smithfield/City Centre but willing to travel anywhere.

It's just finished a few weeks ago but take a look at www.americanfootball.ie and you'll get a jist of the schedule and links to teams. Well worth doing, played for years for a few teams myself and it's great craic.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,677 ✭✭✭Aenaes

There's two conferences, Shamrock Bowl Conference and IAFL1 Conference. The Shamrock Bowl is the upper tier conference.

Last season, the SBC started in early March and the IAFL1 started in early April. You're picking the perfect time to start as most teams will be just starting their pre-season training soon regardless of which conference they're in.

In the SBC, there is UCD and Trinity College (although I think you have to be one of their students to join), Dublin Rebels, South Dublin Panthers and the newly promoted West Dublin Rhinos.

In IAFL1, there is the North Dublin Pirates.

I think all teams have open Facebook pages so you can see contact details and where they're located. There's also the IAFL website: americanfootball.ie

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Hi guys

South Dublin Panthers are very good for beginners. They are a growing club and take on quite a few rookies every year. They are extremely friendly and go out of the way to make sure rookies are catered for, not to mention they provide pads and helmets for rookies also, which saves you the expense of buying them just to see if you like it! They're also building a strong squad and it won't be long before they're challenging for titles. They ran the eventual winners this year (Cork) the closest - lost in double OT down in Cork. They also beat them down in Cork in the regular season.
    They train out of Westmanstown though, but there's always 1 or 2 driving out from the city if you need a lift.

Trinity have folded btw, so they no longer have a team.

Whatever you do, just don't join the Rebels :pac:

Hi guys

South Dublin Panthers are very good for beginners. They are a growing club and take on quite a few rookies every year. They are extremely friendly and go out of the way to make sure rookies are catered for, not to mention they provide pads and helmets for rookies also, which saves you the expense of buying them just to see if you like it! They're also building a strong squad and it won't be long before they're challenging for titles. They ran the eventual winners this year (Cork) the closest - lost in double OT down in Cork. They also beat them down in Cork in the regular season.
    They train out of Westmanstown though, but there's always 1 or 2 driving out from the city if you need a lift.

Thanks for writing all that mate, really informative and answered a lot of questions I had :)

I think it’s a choice between the Panthers and the Pirates from what I’ve read on here :)

Sshhh….on the Rebels!!

Second the panthers though! solid bunch of lads

• Registered Users Posts: 7,776 ✭✭✭Big Pussy Bonpensiero

Thanks for writing all that mate, really informative and answered a lot of questions I had :)

I think it’s a choice between the Panthers and the Pirates from what I’ve read on here :)

Just fyi there is a massive gulf in standard between Shamrock Bowl and IAFL 1. Shamrock Bowl isn't exactly a high standard or anything but teams are a lot more structured and organised.
    IAFL 1 is very casual. It might suit you better but if you're even halfway decent I'd strongly encourage you to try out for a Shamrock Bowl team. You could always try a few training sessions with a Shamrock bowl team and drop down then if you want something more casual.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

Hi guys

If you want to get a look at what things are like too, there's a game between Ireland (the second team I believe) and Belgium on the 20th of October in Navan Rugby Union Club.

https://www.eventbrite.ie/e/international-wolfhounds-vs-barbarians-tickets-49660948233

Got rookie trials with the North Dublin Pirates on the 21st

Absolutely buzzing for it

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,744 ✭✭✭raze_them_all_

Got rookie trials with the North Dublin Pirates on the 21st

Absolutely buzzing for it

Probably the best scenery of a pitch in the country, pitch is hard as **** though

Advertisement