Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Family break within 2.5 hrs of Dublin

• 25-07-2018 9:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 5,503 ✭✭✭

Hi.

We are going to go away in September for 3 nights. We have a 2 year old & are looking for recommendations.

We looked at Kelly's in Rosslare but it's a bit pricey for us.

We visited Roundstone in June & it was great, airbnb job. Right beside a playground, pubs & within a 5 min drive of 2 lovely beaches.

Tramore? Dungarvan? are they nice or is there any where else that people would recommend.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 789 ✭✭✭Turnipman

Cooley peninsula? A hidden gem. Stay in Carlingford and visit Newry, Omeath and Gyles's Quay. Or drive through the Mournes as far as Newcastle Co. Down if you wish.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,729 ✭✭✭Millem

amber springs gorey?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

faithlegg house

• Registered Users Posts: 6,700 ✭✭✭Mountainsandh

Dungarvan !
    Park hotel rent little houses on the grounds, swimming pool on the spot, and a very short walk to town.
    Gold Coast hotel, villas to rent too and swimming pool, near Clonea Strand and other coves (and the greenway), quieter and an oldish playground on the spot, but you'd need to take the car to go into town to eat or drink.

Nearby : the greenway, the Comeraghs and Mahon Falls, the copper coast to Tramore is a beautiful drive, and then the other segment is Dungarvan to Ardmore, also beautiful.

Two brilliant playgrounds in Dungarvan, one near Spar Abbeyside, the other near Lidl, both within a short walk reach of Park hotel.

Great food in Dungarvan, and the weather in September is often gorgeous.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,844 ✭✭✭✭average_runner

Millem wrote: »
    amber springs gorey?

Amber Springs has gone thru the roof with their prices. Riverside is an option in Enniscorthy.

Newpark Kilkenny is good. Kelly's will be booked out.

Dungarvan be good as you will have the the cycling route down there also.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Turnipman wrote: »
    Cooley peninsula? A hidden gem. Stay in Carlingford and visit Newry, Omeath and Gyles's Quay. Or drive through the Mournes as far as Newcastle Co. Down if you wish.

I was going to say this too. Lots of things to do and see.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 547 ✭✭✭Duffryman

Don't know about the prices at the Amber Springs, but if it's in your budget, I'd 100% recommend it. It's got a brilliant indoor soft play area that's recently been extended, lots of outdoor playground space too, a petting farm, and other things like mini golf and kiddies go karts that even your two-year-old can go on, since younger children can sit on a parent's lap on them.

We live close by ourselves (about 20 minutes away). Often bring our kids (aged 5 and 2) there, even though strictly speaking, the indoor play area is supposed to be for residents only.

Have often commented how in one way we're lucky it's so close by, so that we can go there for a while any time it suits. But on the other hand, we're unlucky, because when we look for a family hotel ourselves in some other part of the country, nothing ever seems to live up to it!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭dragonfly!

Clayton Whites Hotel is lovely
    Theres a spa for the parents too
    Lots of beaches and outdoorsy things to do a short drive away

• Registered Users Posts: 15,127 ✭✭✭✭kerry4sam

Thread moved to where it would be better suited (or else the other Regional fora).

Thanks,
    kerry4sam

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭Goose76

Dungarvan,definitely

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 819 ✭✭✭blackwave

The Brandon house hotel in New Ross might be a good option. While Ross maybe not be the most happening town, it does serve as a good hub location as it's very close to Waterford, Wexford and Kilkenny is not that far either. I would recommend Inistioge as a nice village to visit and the Woodstock garden are lovely walk.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,503 ✭✭✭baldbear

Update: We went to the Amber springs last year and found it good. We went for a big family room. lots of space for the young lad to roam around. The cinema was nice. The pizza place was was decent and bar food did the job.
    The playground & little farm was good to pass some time. They have a indoor play area for kids which was good but the lack of supervision not so good. The highlight was the train (tractor) that went to the little fairy village.
    The downside was 2 other families of about 10 whose kids ran wild and were staying beside us. The older kids were looking after the younger ones & when I brought my 3 yr old to the cinema they other family of kids were running wild. I think this sort of clientele visit every year.

We recently went to Newpark Hotel in Kilkenny and found it great. They have a really spacious farm and playground. We were really impressed. The food options in the evening wasn't good for kids but I would definitely go back here.

• Registered Users Posts: 861 ✭✭✭tomwaits48

Amber Springs has gone way downhill since they opened up the extra rooms, not enough staff and too many riff raff.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,854 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

Cliff House Hotel in Ardmore is fantastic and Ardmore is a lovely seaside village

• Registered Users Posts: 3,517 ✭✭✭Hoboo

tomwaits48 wrote: »
    Amber Springs has gone way downhill since they opened up the extra rooms, not enough staff and too many riff raff.

I was there 4 weeks ago, albeit on a Sunday and Monday, and there was zero riff raff and couldn't fault any of the staff. Maybe Fri/sat it's different. Had a 5 year old nephew in tow and he had a ball.

Re Carlingford, what a beautiful village turned into an absolute kip. Avoid at the weekend, hens and stags, the knacker ones. Cooley Peninsula is lovely, but not sure a two year old will care much for mountain trails and vistas. Or sitting in a car all day. Nor would I to be fair. Give me a warm pool and slide all day.

Advertisement