Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Petrol in my diesel car

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,718 ✭✭✭johnayo

Might be a stupid question from me, but I thought the pump nozzles were different and therefore don't fit into the incorrect tank i.e Diesel nozzle only fits into diesel car tank, and wont sit right in a petrol engine tank??

Not questioning you OP just wondering, god knows we all get distracted and it can happen to anyone

Hope you get it sorted, as the lads have said, get it towed to garage to be pumped out and new fuel filter etc.

Ford have a system where it is difficult to mis fuel but with most other vehicles
    It's perfectly simple to put petrol into diesel as the unleaded nozzle is narrower and will fit the diesel neck no bother.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,036 ✭✭✭mikeecho

johnayo wrote: »
    Ford have a system where it is difficult to mis fuel but with most other vehicles
    It's perfectly simple to put petrol into diesel as the unleaded nozzle is narrower and will fit the diesel neck no bother.

BMW have a system, where the larger diesel nosel will unlock 3 pins and allow the nosel in, the smaller petrol nosel, won't push all three pins, and won't allow the petrol nosel in.

As for diesel into a petrol, the diesel nosel is simply too wide to fit in... yet I know that people have somehow managed to force it in on a toyota

• Registered Users Posts: 35,568 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

Just drive on. It won't matter at this stay. A few litres of new vegetable oil is more deadening than diesel in this situation.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,895 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

UrbanFret wrote: »
    I've done this more than once.

Eh... maybe pop an auld sticker with Diesel written on it somewhere near the cap. Be cheaper than the petrol and 2 stroke oil (not to mention the potential engine damage) if it's happening repeatedly.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

phutyle wrote: »
    Eh... maybe pop an auld sticker with Diesel written on it somewhere near the cap. Be cheaper than the petrol and 2 stroke oil (not to mention the potential engine damage) if it's happening repeatedly.

there are far more important things in life to worry about. I had petrol cars for over 30 years. hard to get out of the habit of lifting the petrol nozzle. It says on the cap "Diesel only",dosen't help. ;)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,179 ✭✭✭DaveyDave

I know someone who did this. He had the AA or someone call out to them, drain the petrol out and refilled with diesel. Waste of an hour or two but got it sorted there without driving off.

• Registered Users Posts: 44 Lizheen

OK - all happens tomorrow.
    Garage guy (very sound), having heard I'd already driven it, reckoned I could chance driving it, while keeping it topped up to dilute the petrol. He encouraged me to do a lot of driving, to get it out, and said if it stopped we could deal with the situation as it then stood. Wasn't enamored of the notion of adding oil to the mix.

However, he was working off the assumption I'd driven a good bit since it happened, but I explained that I'd only driven around 50 miles - and that as I've to collect someone from the airport this day week, I'd be concerned that I'd end up stopped on the M50.

When he realised I hadn't been merrily driving away and thus over the hump, he screwed up his face, asked again how much petrol I'd put in; mused that that was a fair amount and that all things considered, with the airport trip in the mix, I might be as well to cut my losses and drain it. He said that the filter (filters?) will need to be replaced and that that will be "expensive enough".

I couldn't afford the time to go home and get the car today - so I'm driving it in tomorrow and hoping that that mile from my house to the garage is not the mile that breaks the Fluence's back (or injector or whatever).

I know it's going to cost - but if at least it prevents a greater catastrophe (if I'm not already too late), it will be worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,473 ✭✭✭robtri

why wouldnt you just siphon out the petrol diesel mix from the tank and fill the tank with clean diesel...
    do it yourself at home and u should be grand

• Registered Users Posts: 4,166 ✭✭✭Goose81

robtri wrote: »
    why wouldnt you just siphon out the petrol diesel mix from the tank and fill the tank with clean diesel...
    do it yourself at home and u should be grand

What do you suggest she put it into and where to dispose of it? This is a full tank of mix

• Registered Users Posts: 4,375 ✭✭✭KevRossi

Goose81 wrote: »
    What do you suggest she put it into and where to dispose of it? This is a full tank of mix

You can dispose of it with any farmer. A tractor will take that mix.

• Advertisement

Wouldn't know where to start - plus I live in a housing estate.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,525 ✭✭✭ION08

KevRossi wrote: »

Syphon it straight into an older school diesel.

If I was your neighbour and still had my older 1.9TDI I’d gladly syphon it out for you. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,172 ✭✭✭orm0nd

KevRossi wrote: »

terrible advise, that mix is lethal and could combust very easily and fyi modern day tractors are way more finnecky that cars

most farmers are using a costly filtering system on their storage tanks

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭banjolin

Petrol floats on diesel. In all likelihood only diesel has gone from the tank. If it hasn't been stuttering by now you are probably still in the clear. Drain the tank and fill it with diesel and you should be grand.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

And most recycling facilities will take the waste fuel.
    In Clare they had big tanks and I got rid of waste diesel, petrol, two stroke, oil, coolant, brake fluid and lots of other nasty stuff.
    Best check in advance, but there will be a facility nearby that takes that stuff.

Or ask if any of your friends is using an all burner in their house.
    Friend of mine was always happy to take all my old engine oil to burn in his central heating.

But there's a but. It could be difficult to drain that car. Best check out YouTube for any tutorials.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭Field east

And most recycling facilities will take the waste fuel.
    In Clare they had big tanks and I got rid of waste diesel, petrol, two stroke, oil, coolant, brake fluid and lots of other nasty stuff.
    Best check in advance, but there will be a facility nearby that takes that stuff.

Or ask if any of your friends is using an all burner in their house.
    Friend of mine was always happy to take all my old engine oil to burn in his central heating.

But there's a but. It could be difficult to drain that car. Best check out YouTube for any tutorials.

If the mix can be removed and stored in containers could it then be used - say two liters at a time- every time you go to fill the car? Or fill the car and add two liters of the mix after having driven, say ,25 miles.

Is it true that putting a few liters of petrol into a diesel car is more serious than putting a few liters of diesel into a petrol car?

• Registered Users Posts: 199 ✭✭banjolin

Field east wrote: »
    If the mix can be removed and stored in containers could it then be used - say two liters at a time- every time you go to fill the car? Or fill the car and add two liters of the mix after having driven, say ,25 miles.

Is it true that putting a few liters of petrol into a diesel car is more serious than putting a few liters of diesel into a petrol car?

Not if you get the petrol out of the diesel tank before the diesel is used up. Can't say what the outcome for the diesel engine will be if petrol does get injected and ignited. Will depend on a number of factors, but could be catastrophic. Some engines can tolerate more abuse than others.

Generally a petrol engine with diesel in it won't start. Diesel sinks to the bottom of the tank and gets pumped but won't ignite because it needs a lot of pressure.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,895 ✭✭✭Gregor Samsa

banjolin wrote: »
    Petrol floats on diesel.

Never tried it myself, and I don't have time to do any great research, but there's a few videos on YouTube that seem to show that this is not the case. They seem to mix quite well.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,036 ✭✭✭mikeecho

banjolin wrote: »
    Not if you get the petrol out of the diesel tank before the diesel is used up. Can't say what the outcome for the diesel engine will be if petrol does get injected and ignited. Will depend on a number of factors, but could be catastrophic. Some engines can tolerate more abuse than others. ..........

Also, the petrol has effectively no lubrication properties so the diesel pump can be damaged too. The swarfy bits can then make absolute poo of the injectors etc.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 35,568 ✭✭✭✭BorneTobyWilde

A 2 litres of new vegetable oil would add lubricity, while taking kick out of petrol.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,829 ✭✭✭tcawley29

For gods sake why is this still going on.

OP just get the stuff disposed of properly and do not put it into your car.

Is 50 odd euro worth of fuel worth risking potentially a grand or more worth of damage to your car?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,055 ✭✭✭UrbanFret

A 2 litres of new vegetable oil would add lubricity, while taking kick out of petrol.

Lots of guys round these parts use kerosene and vegetable oil in their jeeps. There is no lubricant in the kero either. ;)

Okay: "every drop" of fuel taken out of the car by the garage. They reckoned it was Okay not to change the filter as it had done only about 4000 km since it was last changed.

On the question of greater damage, they said "forget about it", on the basis that that is all I can do. But they've pointed out that if the injector has been damaged it might not show up for a year. No point in worrying about something that may never happen.

I asked would I notice if the injector was beginning to go.

"Oh you'll know!" they assured me.

I've to do round a hundred miles tomorrow. Day 1 of the rest of this car's life!

Thanks to everyone who's travelled this journey with me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,888 ✭✭✭Atoms for Peace

You've got to freeze and hit it with a hammer..... Sorry.

• Registered Users Posts: 73,379 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

Bit odd they didn’t change the filter?

You've got to freeze and hit it with a hammer..... Sorry.

Uh? Freeze what?

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Bit odd they didn’t change the filter?

Baffling TBH but from what the OP has said about them I reckon they're not the most professional of outfits. Initial advice was to drive on ta fnck or something along those lines.

Changing the filter would reduce the chance if further damage down the line. Without doubt

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

The filter should have been changed

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭Stallingrad

EPAndlee wrote: »
    The filter should have been changed

Hardly a big job either.

Advertisement