Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Other hobbies/Obsessions?

Options
  • 24-07-2018 1:39pm
    Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭

So is it just watches people on here are obsessed with or have you other interests?

For me it's Motorbikes. Watches came first but I love my bike and everything to do with it.

Two costly hobbies but it keeps me occupied.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 703 ✭✭✭IrishPlayer

Aviation,really enjoy plane spotting and watching programs like Air Crash Investigation,really into older aircraft, got a chance to go on specially modified MD 10 last year that was made into a flying eye hospital to perform operations in less developed countries.Got to visit the cockpit and talk to the captain who showed me around the cockpit.Posted pictures from it in the Aviation and Aircraft section if anyone is interested.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=102854686

Also i enjoy collecting coins and bank notes from various countries,have pictures of my collection that i posted on here in the Collectibles & Antiques section if anyone is interested.
    https://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?p=107286748

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

It used to be cars and I'd change annually. But a new watch is easier to hide, and less likely for the kids to ruin.

• Registered Users Posts: 651 ✭✭✭2shea

Eoin wrote: »
    It used to be cars and I'd change annually. But a new watch is easier to hide, and less likely for the kids to ruin.

Haha so true. But my wife likes watches too so she'd spot a new one in a flash.

Cheaper then changing the car every year too I'd imagine

• Registered Users Posts: 6,186 ✭✭✭emo72

Knives, belstaff jackets, "escape tactical bags", torches. Well that's what we should be into if you go by TZUK!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

Cars, Computers, HiFi....important for men to have hobbies.

• Advertisement

It really is. But I notice alot of females don't really have any hobbies. Some men don't either but defiantly more so women.

They seem to enjoy doing certain things but not to the extent of nerds such as ourselves.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,670 ✭✭✭✭Cyrus

Similar for me

Cars and technology in general

Clothes & shoes as well I suppose and more recently aftershave I blame the splits thread !

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators Posts: 21,238 CMod ✭✭✭✭Eoin

emo72 wrote: »
    Knives, belstaff jackets, "escape tactical bags", torches. Well that's what we should be into if you go by TZUK!

Don't forget brogues!

Cyrus wrote: »
    Similar for me

Cars and technology in general

Clothes & shoes as well I suppose and more recently aftershave I blame the splits thread !

Every man needs a good watch and a good pair of shoes!
    It's the one item of clothing is never skimp on. Shoes be it runners for training or dress/work shoes.

Oh yeah, I definitely love my tech gadgets but don't end up actually using many of them other than my phone and my laptop.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Cars would be a big one for me too, have my nice car for everyday and my jeep for off roading and hunting. I hunt too so have a few guns, loads of knives and i go to the gym every morning before work. Up until last year there were mountain bikes and dirt bikes in there too but i got sick of breaking myself up and decided to knock them on the head... sold the bike and bought a new watch! Haha

456624.jpg

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,071 Mod ✭✭✭✭Wibbs

With the amount of hobbies, interests and collections I've fostered in my time, at this stage I see myself more as a curator rather than a collector. I may start charging people for tours of my gaff. :D Ya wanna see the launch directors personal signed copy of the NASA Gemini 6/7 mission, the first rendezvous in space? I'm your boyo.

456625.jpg

And that's only scratching the surface of my particular madness. :eek: :o

Rejoice in the awareness of feeling stupid, for that’s how you end up learning new things. If you’re not aware you’re stupid, you probably are.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 10,260 Mod ✭✭✭✭artanevilla

I collect whiskey, but not really collect as I don't keep it, I drink it.

I work with airplanes but am not an aerosexual like IrishPlayer.

Football is my main hobby, Bohs and Villa. I enjoy shouting abuse at strangers so that's probably why.

Basically I collect watches, whiskey, football scarfs and rubber ducks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,331 ✭✭✭Keyzer

Music - listening to and playing. Collector of guitars and recently developed an obsession for piano.

Clothes.

• Registered Users Posts: 456 ✭✭oxocube

Astronomy. Just to point out there will be a blood moon and full lunar eclipse visible in Ireland on Friday. The best time to see the eclipse will be from 9.32pm until 10.13pm :cool:

...And collecting Nike Runners. 90's, 95's, 97's, TN's and Cortez. I've about 25 pairs of Nike still in the box :eek: :eek: :eek:

I do wear some of them now and again :D

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 12,616 Mod ✭✭✭✭blue5000

Is the next meet up going to be at Wibbs' gaff?

I collect vintage swimwear:rolleyes:

No seriously, I do a bit of blacksmithing in my spare time.

456674.jpg

This one is a part for a tractor hitch.

456675.jpg

This is a poker with a wizard head handle for halloween.

If the seat's wet, sit on yer hat, a cool head is better than a wet ar5e.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,259 ✭✭✭Homer

Quite the eclectic bunch aren't we :D

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭RMDrive

I drum. A space and money hungry hobby :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Ionised

I have recently developed an obsession with finding original 1980s Japanese mechanics overalls.

I do struggle to explain why... Even to myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,088 ✭✭✭aaakev

Ionised wrote: »
    I have recently developed an obsession with finding original 1980s Japanese mechanics overalls.

I do struggle to explain why... Even to myself.
    How does this even start to become a thing??!! Im actually intrigued!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,556 ✭✭✭Ionised

aaakev wrote:
    How does this even start to become a thing??!! Im actually intrigued!

My wife asks that a lot and I don't have a good answer.
    It started with a set of Grace Engineers overalls I got from Japan just cause they looked comfy. Started researching older stuff from the 80s, focusing on branded jdm stuff. Slippery slope.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,383 ✭✭✭Deep Thought

Golf...was good once, now a bad 7 handicap and as a kid collected coins.

The narrower a man’s mind, the broader his statements.

Ionised wrote: »
    My wife asks that a lot and I don't have a good answer.
    It started with a set of Grace Engineers overalls I got from Japan just cause they looked comfy. Started researching older stuff from the 80s, focusing on branded jdm stuff. Slippery slope.

I recently seen a work man in Japan with air fans built into his jacket. I heard the little fan noise looked down and there were two fans on the rear of the jacket blowing/pulling air into his jacket.

Wibbs wrote: »
    With the amount of hobbies, interests and collections I've fostered in my time, at this stage I see myself more as a curator rather than a collector. I may start charging people for tours of my gaff. :D Ya wanna see the launch directors personal signed copy of the NASA Gemini 6/7 mission, the first rendezvous in space? I'm your boyo.

456625.jpg

And that's only scratching the surface of my particular madness. :eek: :o

Now that is seriously cool! How did you get your hands on that if you don't mind me asking Wibbs?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,538 ✭✭✭btkm8unsl0w5r4

2shea wrote: »
    Now that is seriously cool! How did you get your hands on that if you don't mind me asking Wibbs?

He is a space cadet....didnt you know? :pac::pac::pac::pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭sparrowcar

Mountain bikes, race (badly) in the gravity enduro races here in Ireland but mainly for fun/fitness. Could buy a Daytona if I sold all of them and associated gear.

Great outdoors (camping, hiking etc) could buy a sub if I sold all that gear. Don't get out as much anymore due family life and bikes taking priority.

Aviation, work in the airport and live in swords all my life so just is what it is.

Is owning a hyper black lab a hobby? Either way he gets more attention than anything above.

Ohhh Edit....

Pearl Jam... seen them live 7 times. Have a great little collection of memorabilia, some quiet valuable. Still haven't decided how to display it all.

sparrowcar wrote: »
    Could buy a Daytona if I sold all of them and associated gear.

Great outdoors (camping, hiking etc) could buy a sub if I sold all that gear.

Does Mrs Sparrowcar know the value of all these items ;) I could drop it into conversation next time I see her :D

(I know Mr and Mrs Sparrowcar by the way :p)

2shea wrote: »
    I recently seen a work man in Japan with air fans built into his jacket. I heard the little fan noise looked down and there were two fans on the rear of the jacket blowing/pulling air into his jacket.

I have the opposite! A battery powered heated jacket and gloves for working outdoors in the winter!

Homer wrote: »
    I have the opposite! A battery powered heated jacket and gloves for working outdoors in the winter!

Ah our Japinese friends are very inventive

• Advertisement

He is a space cadet....didnt you know? :pac::pac::pac::pac:

:pac::)

Advertisement