Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How many candidates needed for an election?

• 24-07-2018 12:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,402 ✭✭✭

With all the talk of the Presidential election at the moment I have a vague memory that 3 candidates are required for a valid election to take place with PR. Can't find anything online about it.
    Does anyone know?
    Thanks.

Cui bono?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 876 ✭✭✭Lord Glentoran

hoodie6029 wrote: »
    With all the talk of the Presidential election at the moment I have a vague memory that 3 candidates are required for a valid election to take place with PR. Can't find anything online about it.
    Does anyone know?
    Thanks.

Two candidates are sufficient. See the 1966 and 1973 Presidential elections.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,597 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Presidents are not elected using PR, it's pure STV/AV and if there are two candidates there is just a straight vote.

Realistically PR only works with 2+ seats and 4+ candidates, one seat and it's AV; 3 for 2 seats is a straight vote

Perfectly legit and has happened

• Registered Users Posts: 11,753 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

hoodie6029 wrote: »
    Does anyone know?
    Thanks.
    I too was looking to see if any time TDs were elected without an election
    1938. Donegal West and Kerry South, were not contested; both returned two FF TD's and one from FG (the last occasion when any Dail election has been uncontested). http://irelandelection.com/election.php?elecid=36&electype=1&constitid=71 http://irelandelection.com/election.php?elecid=36&electype=1&constitid=30 it happened in 1922 in number of constituencies and before but those were wierd elections

Advertisement