Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Smashing Pumpkins -New Music

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,537 ✭✭✭Dr. Bre

Remember Corgan said he saw a shapeshifting lizard. That was odd

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

I've watched the video three times and It's made me laugh every time so if it's comedy Billy was going for he's succeeded with me.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,899 ✭✭✭UrbanSprawl

Dr. Bre wrote: »
    Remember Corgan said he saw a shapeshifting lizard. That was odd

not really ..link to Corgan when said he saw a shapeshifting lizard?

Sheridan81 wrote: »
    I've watched the video three times and It's made me laugh every time so if it's comedy Billy was going for he's succeeded with me.

Look past billy ..what do you think is the purpose of having the cage in the early shots?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,007 ✭✭✭s7ryf3925pivug

not really ..link to Corgan when said he saw a shapeshifting lizard?
    https://www.nme.com/news/music/billy-corgan-shapeshifter-2151029

If someone’s hallucinating then that’s unfortunate, not something to demonize them over. However I feel comfortable in saying he’s a prick when he reacts by insisting it was real, and lying that other people confirmed it (..or maybe he just lacks any sense of irony).

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Sheridan81

Look past billy ..what do you think is the purpose of having the cage in the early shots?
    Yeah i noticed some symbolism (when I wasn't busy laughing) but the video is ridiculous; the shabby goths at the end, Jeff and Jimmy playing Connect 4, the mime's silly face close-up, the guy with the different coloured eyebrows, the fat bloke in his underwear in the pool, the bunny, the guy dancing in the background who looks like Brian Molko, the old woman pointing prophetically, all while a chubby, washed-up 51 year old walks around in a silver skirt making facial expressions of torment and intrigue. It's comedy gold. I'm going to watch it again now for another laugh. :)

Billy is done as a serious artist in my opinion. It's a shame because I just can't relate to him anymore and it pollutes my appreciation of the old classic Pumpkins.

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭RicketyCricket

Yeah i noticed some symbolism (when I wasn't busy laughing) but the video is ridiculous; the shabby goths at the end, Jeff and Jimmy playing Connect 4, the mime's silly face close-up, the guy with the different coloured eyebrows, the fat bloke in his underwear in the pool, the bunny, the guy dancing in the background who looks like Brian Molko, the old woman pointing prophetically, all while a chubby, washed-up 51 year old walks around in a silver skirt making facial expressions of torment and intrigue. It's comedy gold. I'm going to watch it again now for another laugh. :)

Billy is done as a serious artist in my opinion. It's a shame because I just can't relate to him anymore and it pollutes my appreciation of the old classic Pumpkins.

From that post it seems like you had made up your mind about any new Pumpkins stuff before you'd heard or seen it.

Its not the worse video I have seen and more importantly the track is quality.
    I would withhold critiquing them until we see how this tour goes. Kicking off in 3 days!

Youtube comment!

Giuliano Camiolo.
    1 week ago (edited)
    To my understanding the meaning of the video:

When the video starts, Billy is wearing black and in a position similar to Ava Adore, he look towards a cage where a bird is trapped,
    but actually is a drone meaning that he wants to evolve. Then there is a picture with the word "Dream", saying as I could become reality.
    Then three blondes get in the room (I suppose a "D'Arcy or Courtney").
    He is connected, traumatized and tied by the past, like James when he washes his hands on blood.
    In the room where Jimmy and Jeff are playing there's a floor that looks like a chessboard, and Billy walks behind with a chainsaw.
    Then in a close-up shot Jeff's jacket shows a hand of God with a chain touching an Adam's hand,
    stating that even if the band evolves they couldn't escape from past.
    Billy enters a blue delivery room where he sees something alive was bring to the world but now is invisible
    but too much protected and valorated,
    stating a relation to the Mellon Collie era, I suppose. (And he looks aside thinking: "Well it's over, leave this Mellon Collie obsession")
    There he enters another room, with a picture of the same house,
    with the word "Opportunity" stating that he wants to try new things and explore.
    Then he exits by the back door of the same house, and you see him going out, being delivered by a stork, as if born again.
    He walks over a new lighter future and take a flyer that say Freedom, again, the same house or in this case: a prison.
    But he is being observed and vigilated by an executioner, stating that even if he wants to go ahead
    with this he has to be careful and dont change too much, then an old woman (the past) cheers his growth and tells him where to go,
    while the future is telling him not to go off at a tangent.
    Then we see a old "Billy" looking like a sad and lazy clown and a young girl destroying those old but used until today "stereotypes".
    While he's walking on the sidewalk a grumpy father don't let go the "new generation" and those kids don't make an effort to go neither.
    Then a little zombie girl have fun with an innocent hula hoop, something that today will be considered boring.
    He is watching sad people (fans) and wants to leave it behind, but he reaches the end of the alley and sees the house
    where he has been and he will always be trapped.

Tonight, tonight. Shiny and Oh So Bright tour begins.

https://twitter.com/SmashingPumpkin/status/1017456924206362624

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,345 ✭✭✭Double C

Looks like the tour started off with a bang, going by the setlist at least

Good reaction from fans on twitter,words like epic being bandied about.
    Would prefer another few from gish only 2 songs and what is with the bowie/zeppelin covers.For a band with such a back catalogue hardly necessary.

• Administrators, Computer Games Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 32,138 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭Mickeroo

The new song isn't bad actually, found myself enjoying it despite low expectations. The quality went off a cliff after adore for me (though I did like Zwan).

That's a cracking setlist there in fairness.

• Registered Users Posts: 665 ✭✭✭collie0708

Some good footage of yesterday’s gig on YouTube. Overall I thought you were really good can’t wait for London now.

https://youtu.be/JxruZo9Uncw

If anyone going to the London gig fancies meeting for a few beers before the gig give me a shout....

collie0708 wrote: »
    If anyone going to the London gig fancies meeting for a few beers before the gig give me a shout....

Cool,may well do.Haven't booked anything yet apart from the tickets ..just in case the tour falls to bits but looks like it's off to a good start!

Cool,may well do.Haven't booked anything yet apart from the tickets ..just in case the tour falls to bits but looks like it's off to a good start!

I’m booked everything as the flights and hotels were so cheap, would be gutted if the tour fell apart as I never got to see them back in the day...

• Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brevity

Anyone getting an Audioslave vibe from the song?

brevity wrote: »
    Anyone getting an Audioslave vibe from the song?

Not all that familiar with audioslave tbh

omg those sp videos are extraordinary ..disarm the opener song its unreal

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,477 ✭✭✭brevity

Not all that familiar with audioslave tbh

Chris Cornell's (Soundgarden) supergroup.

He did the theme to one one of the more recent bond movies too.

Some of Billy's vocals remind me of the above.

I Do know one song by them dropping like a stone or summit but I can't see how Cornell vocals are comparable to Corgans..they are poles apart.

Thanks for the response didn't mean to shut the discussion down but cornell well ..I like many bought superunknown in fairness it was not all that good.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,454 ✭✭✭mloc123

I picked up a ticket for the second night in Chicago. Relistening to melon collie to begin with, almost forgot how good it was.

Have an event up on gigonometry for this might get a few more on board.

https://www.meetup.com/gigonometry

Have an event up on gigonometry for this might get a few more on board.

https://www.meetup.com/gigonometry

Good idea 👍

The tour looks great so far some super videos on YouTube

https://youtu.be/VwZ9qoOdG4w

The tour looks great so far some super videos on YouTube

[url]https://[/url]

Indeed trying to avoid them a bit now,so I wont have seen the whole show before the gig but yeah they have a cool show going on!
    I really do believe now is the time to see them,not when they start touring a new album.. if that happens.

• Advertisement

Good idea 👍

Cheers for the sign up ..time to start booking stuff!

Advertisement