Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Firewood Buy and Sell Thread

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭wayoutwest

Jaymla627 - is your product (€55/ M2) fully seasoned and guaranteed to be under 20% M.C ? ....if so its a good deal.
    The hotlogs deal at nearly €210/M2 (loosethrown, not stacked) doesn't sound the best deal out there - it equates to about €8/ feed or large net bag.
    I would guess that their market probably comprises of people who want just an occasional fire and don't want to run the risk of buying firewood that hisses steam when burnt - which, unfortunately is a common experience. Good luck to them.
    As someone who uses wood as sole fuel for heating radiators and water, I would (at this time of year)be getting through a couple of feed bags a day - so at those rates it would be costing me €112/week !!

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭davedub2015

Anybody know anyone selling hardwood in Dublin for sale looking for a tonne or trailer?

• Registered Users Posts: 471 ✭✭aerosol

Looking for a 40ft of softwood thinnings delivered to Nth County Dublin if anyone has any contacts, Ta

• Registered Users Posts: 19 kbfdirect

Hello All,

Looking for a 6x4x3 load of ash or beech in the cork area.Can be split or logs.Anyone know where there is a bit of value?

Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,199 ✭✭✭adne

Guys.

I've spruce cedar and fir logs for sale in 4 metre lengths. It's cut 10 months so well seasoned.
    I can load lengths in 4 metres or cut to smaller.
    Delivery may be an option.
    I'm based in Sligo.

See https://www.donedeal.ie/heating-for-sale/firewood/17676212

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 557 ✭✭✭timfromtang

Howdy Folks,
    We have a harvester on site, He'll start this week sometime he assures me.
    We are thinning.
    We are located in the midlands about 19km north of Athlone.
    The norway spruce is already sale agreed (going to ballygar mills)
    We'll have............
    Larch alder and sycamore to sell for firewood.
    Delivery can be arranged (by the lorry load)
    We can load your trailer with a crane if you wish to collect.
    Pm me for a telephone number if you are interested.
    Fair prices guaranteed.
    tim

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Mackie123

How's all ,looking for ash thinnings or other hardwood in lengths by the artic load to suit a processor thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 379 ✭✭mobfromcork

Hi folks,
    Looking to get an full load of 2nd thinnings or clear fell logs for firewood in the Carlow area over the next month or two. Have chainsaws and room to unload lorry. For domestic use. Would be also interested in hardwood depending on price or smaller loads if they were going. If anyone is selling or knows anyone who is I'd appreciate a PM or answer in thread.
    Thanks
    Mark

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Wood2Go

We are looking to buy artic loads of hardwood. Preferably 2nd thinnings or clear fell hardwood logs for firewood.

Best price paid. Prompt payment.

Message me here. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 2,625 ✭✭✭fergus1001

Wood2Go wrote:
    We are looking to buy artic loads of hardwood. Preferably 2nd thinnings or clear fell hardwood logs for firewood.

do you cut timber or just buy roadside ?

• Advertisement

fergus1001 wrote: »
    do you cut timber or just buy roadside ?

We buy roadside. 12-15 artic loads required by end of July/August 2018.

Has any one any joy getting 2 thinnings in artic loads

Does anyone know where I'd get second thinnings ash or beech by the artic load to suit a processor I'm in kildare

• Registered Users Posts: 3,846 ✭✭✭tabby aspreme

Try Coillte, they were removing the Ash and other timber also from Mullacrellan wood .

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭Thegingerbear

Anyone interested in 5 large beech trees and 1 ash tree? Will give it for free if you are willing to cut it up yourself. Located in North Roscommon.

Hi Gingerbear -pm sent.

• Registered Users Posts: 34 BogBoy84

Does anybody know of any harvesters around the midlands? Looking for an arctic load of logs for Edenderry Offaly, to cut and split myself. Tried Coillte and they wanted 1400 for a load of softwood

• Registered Users Posts: 23 hempel

How much is a low side 8x4 trailer of hardwood making atm

• Registered Users Posts: 49 Blackcurrants

hempel wrote: »
    Depends on a variety of factors but ~ 100, around €80/m3 down in KK for seasoned ash.

hempel wrote: »

Price would depend on how many cubic metres are in the load. An 8x4 (2.4 × 1.2 M) trailer with 30 cm sides = 0.86 M3 , with 40 cm sides = 1.15 M3.
    Price would also depend on -
    - species of timber (eg: whitethorn and beech worth more than birch/alder)

- how seasoned is it (eg: kiln dried worth more than air dried worth more than half or unseasoned)

- uniformity and size of logs (eg: clean,straight, same size OR random size from arb waste, maybe ncluding smaller branchwood and bit of moss.

- delivery distance.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1 Pat Tipp

Hi,
    If anyone wants hardwood split blocks delivered by the trailer load in the north Tipp, South Offaly area, PM me.
    Large and small loads

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Dozer1

Anyone interested is ash thinnings planted in 02, its in 3m lengths in a yard ready to go. Approx just over a lorry load in the mid west

How much deliverd and roughly what size

Dozer1 wrote: »
    Anyone interested is ash thinnings planted in 02, its in 3m lengths in a yard ready to go. Approx just over a lorry load in the mid west

Pm me your phone number. I can organise transport to pick them up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Dozer1

here's a pic of some of it
    its collection only, 60 euro a ton

• Registered Users Posts: 591 ✭✭✭mike_cork

Anyone with wood for a stove for sale in the Cork City area?
    If so, what price per bag/per kg.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

Anyone using barrow FIBC bags for timber?

Toying with buying some for personal use. Idea being cut and split straight into them for storage/seasoning. Can store in old outhouses. Attraction is being able to shift about with a sack trolley and standard door opening where tractors and loaders can't go.

Any recommendations on going vented or not?

https://goo.gl/images/5gTwZH

Definitely go for vented bags if you plan to season the timber in them. Timber will sweat and go moldy in unvented bags. Even the vented ones will, if there isn't adequate air flow. The Barrow bags (.25m3?) are as expensive as 1m3 bags as far as I remember so be careful when filling as heavy timber can tear the bags if falling from a height.
    Best of luck.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,844 ✭✭✭49801

Definitely go for vented bags if you plan to season the timber in them. Timber will sweat and go moldy in unvented bags. Even the vented ones will, if there isn't adequate air flow. The Barrow bags (.25m3?) are as expensive as 1m3 bags as far as I remember so be careful when filling as heavy timber can tear the bags if falling from a height.
    Best of luck.

Thanks,
    The choice is kinda barrow bags into old outhouses or else big bags and a tarp outside.

Are there any particular thoughts on whether seasoning blocks must bit kept dry. Suppose what I am trying to get at is it ok to let it be rained on for first year and only cover for last 3/4 months to dry?

• Advertisement

Out of direct rain, up off the ground with good air flow. Timber in lengths doesn't need to be covered but split logs would need to be. For denser species like beech and oak, it can take up to two year to season fully. Moisture meters aren't great at giving you an accurate reading of moisture %. Much better to weight the log, split it down and dry it fully in an oven or behind a stove. The weight lost is the % of water relative to the wet weight of the log. Ash and many softwoods can be dried to below 20% mc in 6 months (including the 4 summer months).

Advertisement