Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Divinity:Original Sin 2

Options

Comments

Couldn't imagine playing this with a controller

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

Couldn't imagine playing this with a controller

I actually played the pc version with a controller,and its really intuitive..

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭_Puma_

Just got my Steam Link and Controller and this was the first game I tried out. It works really well! With the Definitive edition out in August I'm going to hold off until then and re-roll. Apparently saves wont transfer over.

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,999 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

bigphil2 wrote: »
    So the Definitive Edition of this is out next Month,i thought it was worth a Bump,plus maybe could move this thread to The General Gaming one? (dunno how to go about getting that done though)

Cant wait to play this again on the PS4,its fair to say Larian once again have gone all out on this update,which is freee if you own the pc version already

oJx7P3

What do you get with the definitive edition?

It is free on PC if you own the original. A write up from back in May but Larian are announcing more details on their twitter daily. Storywise a complete rewrite of act 3, and some new side-quests.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 11,505 ✭✭✭✭Xenji

Still never got around to finishing this, 7 months on now and does not look like I will, it just could not hold my attention like the classic rpgs of the early 00s.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,210 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Some guy just finished the game in a 24 minute speed run.

Prettty sure i spent an entire day on the Prison Island.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

• Registered Users Posts: 876 ✭✭✭bigphil2

What do you get with the definitive edition?

On pc,you get a tonne of improvements,the 3rd act has nearly been totally re-written.. theres patch notes on the website..

for consoles,they have redone the controller settings according to console,its 4k on the pro and the x..

Larian are in my opinion one of the best developers out there.. the amount of updates they have done based on player feedback to refine the game is rare..

The game launched on pc pretty much perfectly too..so they don't release an unfinished product,they just take feedback on board and implement it where possible..

https://www.express.co.uk/entertainment/gaming/987211/Divinity-Original-Sin-2-Definitive-Edition-New-content-release-date

• Registered Users Posts: 9,336 ✭✭✭nozzferrahhtoo

Finished this a week or so ago with the aforementioned work mates. We were only playing it about 2.5 hours twice a week. So it lasted awhile.

Funny reading my previous post how differently things turned out to our plan. For example my "mage" character turned out to be the tank. And how. By the "final battle" I had twice the Armour and three times the Health points than any of my companions.

Every class has a totally killer combination if you can find it though. For my "summoner" mage it was the "Cannibalize" skill for example. This meant I could Summon a powerful demon, buff the hell out of it, and then a couple of moves later merely reabsorb it's stats. Which basically turned out to be a 100% heal of my already impressively large armour and health stats. The demon itself, once your summoning skill gets high enough, suddenly goes from a small vicious thing to a monster twice the size of a human.

My work mate had a crossbow archer into which he pumped a lot of points into critical hit chance and effectiveness. He was by the end of the game one-hit killing even some of the stronger opponents. But he was very squishy himself.

Will probably do a solo play through but will wait for the big update with the huge re-writes. That, combined with all the party dialogue you do not get in the multiplayer but only in the solo player.............. it will be like playing a whole new game entirely. Like two games for the price of one.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Just started it this week. Hated the 1st one and never bothered finishing it so I was a bit sceptical about it. I'm loving this though. The story and dialogue are awesome and, for me, are a cut above all of the recent major rpgs. I love the combat but man its tough.
    What's normally a 5 minute battle feels like a 30 minute long epic just trying to survive.

Bad points - The interface could be a bit better and the camera angles are awful at times especially near arches or big elevation changes.

I reckon I'm about 2/3 through the first act so still tons to go. Yay! :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 17,865 ✭✭✭✭Thargor

Right I have the Definitive edition installed and ready to go, havent played a game like this since probably Neverwinter Nights/Baldurs Gate/Icewind Dale days. Can I just ask what starting character people reccomend and anything else they wish they'd known when they started?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,004 ✭✭✭ballyargus

Thargor wrote: »
    Right I have the Definitive edition installed and ready to go, havent played a game like this since probably Neverwinter Nights/Baldurs Gate/Icewind Dale days. Can I just ask what starting character people reccomend and anything else they wish they'd known when they started?

Classic roles aren't as important as you think. As in tank; dps; healer etc.

Archers and rogues are super powerful. It's worth putting a point of scoundrel on all your party to get the adrenaline talent as it can give you an extra 2AP per turn.

Have one character gifted in persuasion, another in thievery, another in leadership.

Teleportation is incredibly powerful. There is a set of gloves in the Joy that you will use throughout (look for a guy called Gawin for the quest). Get another character skilled in Aerothurge for teleportation. Hyrdosophist is also very powerful (put out fires, heal, deal damage with ice as well as crowd control).

The game is full of choice, don't worry if you feel you've made bad ones. Watch what happens, which spells, effects and talents work well early on. You can respec for free as often as you like after leaving the first area on your ship.

Have fun...

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I finally started this last night, and god damn it's good. Combat is great (if very tough at times), and the companions seem really interesting.

Only problem is who i want to keep in my party now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 6,003 ✭✭✭Mike Litoris

Kiith wrote: »
    I finally started this last night, and god damn it's good. Combat is great (if very tough at times), and the companions seem really interesting.

Only problem is who i want to keep in my party now :(

I started on tactician and was getting hammered. You cant reduce the difficulty if you chose it so I had to use a hack to bring it down a rung. I was getting totally owned.

I'd advise you to read at least one party guide to get an idea before you get too far into it. It really really helps later in the game as the combat is still pretty damn tough. I didn't and I've a mish mash of not so compatible skills on individual party members. You can respeck your characters half way through the game but it's a nightmare if you've to change skill sets etc.

99% sure you can change the difficulty in the menus

How do you know you're building a character properly? Or do you just look up a build guide online and copy that? Reading a few build guides it sounds like you'll break the game if you don't stick with a few strict recipes otherwise you won't have the damage for later enemies.

Like my main character is a wizard with fire skills, am I locked into pyromancer now or how does it work? There doesn't seem to be a skills tree only points but you get feck all reward from any fights so you'll need to invest hours in any choices you make.

Also my party is made up of the skull guy and the red lizard, so 2 wizards and a warrior, but it sounds like you need to stick to strict party builds again otherwise you won't be able to win late game, I don't want to invest dozens of hours following other peoples builds, it feels like pointless cheating.

There is an unlimited respec feature available from the end of Act 1. Save the skillbooks you arent using rather than arbitrarily using them or selling them in case you decide to respec.

As for builds, you should focus you party composition on primarily melee or magic damage. The attributes you invest in are determined by if your are going magic or melee damage. Mixing is an option but you really need focused roles for it to work in the late game.

For Magic builds, understanding status effects and how to apply them correctly is the name of the game.

Ah I'd ignore all those build recipes and make your own mistakes. The beauty of this the respec is that it allows for that.

Yeah but respec to what? Do you have to use guides? Where does the information about all these complementary combos come from is what I'm asking?

Yeah but respec to what? Do you have to use guides? Where does the information about all these complementary combos come from is what I'm asking?

Lots of guides on youtube but on my first playthrough I just learned what worked well together by just experimenting. More fun that way... and if you are getting wiped constantly just lower the difficulty.

My current playthough running a Tidalist/Elemantalist/Druid/Stormchaser.. Builds and guides by Flextralife on youtube

• Advertisement

I hate the way every fight is just a big blob of flame on the screen with you racing to see if you can kill the enemy before your party burns to death.

The escalation in difficulty at Reaper's Coast is near vertical. I'm on my second playthrough and there are barely any quests at my level (9) and I know the entire area. I can see why it frustrates new players

ballyargus wrote: »
    The escalation in difficulty at Reaper's Coast is near vertical. I'm on my second playthrough and there are barely any quests at my level (9) and I know the entire area. I can see why it frustrates new players
    Even Fort Joy all the fights are too hard on normal, every fight basically begins with your whole party being set on fire and poisoned, then you get 3-4 turns before they're all dead, meanwhile none of your attacks do any damage because the enemies are covered in physical and magic armour that you need to spend a load of time grinding through.

I hate the way theres no strategy to it either, your party is just a big blob clumped together with just as much chance of your wizards/ranged being in melee as your tanks.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,331 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

Even Fort Joy all the fights are too hard on normal, every fight basically begins with your whole party being set on fire and poisoned, then you get 3-4 turns before they're all dead, meanwhile none of your attacks do any damage because the enemies are covered in physical and magic armour that you need to spend a load of time grinding through.

I hate the way theres no strategy to it either, your party is just a big blob clumped together with just as much chance of your wizards/ranged being in melee as your tanks.

If you're finding your party clumped together a lot, then maybe consider playing them in better positions prior to the fight starting. You can split up your party, eg, put your archer on high ground, tank in a possible choke point, ranged magic users behind etc. Mobility skills, such as Teleport, Warfare's Phoenix Dive, or the Huntsman Tactical Retreat skill are all good for this and available relatively early if memory serves. I think Polymorph has some too.

There's a rain spell your Hydro user can cast, will get rid of fire immediately, and it's a base level spell.

If you're finding your party clumped together a lot, then maybe consider playing them in better positions prior to the fight starting. You can split up your party, eg, put your archer on high ground, tank in a possible choke point, ranged magic users behind etc. Mobility skills, such as Teleport, Warfare's Phoenix Dive, or the Huntsman Tactical Retreat skill are all good for this and available relatively early if memory serves. I think Polymorph has some too.

There's a rain spell your Hydro user can cast, will get rid of fire immediately, and it's a base level spell.
    I dont have a Hydro user, its all fire/fire/fire, even my tank has fire spells, 3 restarts and its all the same, they seem to be default starting spells. Do new spells appear if you put points into Aqua or whatever its called? Wish they'd just given you a skill tree so you could do a bit of planning instead of just dumping points into a one word stat.

Ill watch a few Youtube videos tonight to try and figure out what Im doing wrong but fcuk me its such a letdown compared to what was promised. Id honestly just prefer to replay Baldurs Gate II right now. I wouldnt consider myself a n00b either, Ive played pretty much everything from Ultima up to Dragon Age. Other things I hate:

-Theres something really off about the graphics, it makes you squint and you miss stuff, important NPCs, chests etc. I had to use a video tutorial to find the lizard that stole the oranges at the start and I still couldn't find him for ages...

-The default viewpoint, it actually hurts your neck playing it, always straining to see whats ahead, thats the second worst thing after the godawful combat, having to middle click and spin every 30 seconds to make sure you're not missing anything.

-Having to click on every single cnut you come across just in case they're a quest is so annoying, theres no distinction between them and the one line background NPCs.

-Basically having to give up on Rogue which is usually my favorite class, they're dead within the first 2 turns of every combat so theres no point having them in your party.

-Clicking on a crate or container to see if theres anything in it: Adds the fooking container to your inventory!. Also your inventory is just a big heaping pile, no sorting.

Such a disappointment after all the reviews, greatest RPG of modern times?

I dont have a Hydro user, its all fire/fire/fire, even my tank has fire spells, 3 restarts and its all the same, they seem to be default starting spells. Do new spells appear if you put points into Aqua or whatever its called? Wish they'd just given you a skill tree so you could do a bit of planning instead of just dumping points into a one word stat.

Ok, that's not right. Your starting spells depend on the skills you choose at the start. So if you put a point into Hydro and Aero - the Enchanter preset -for example, you'll have a selection of eight spells from those schools to choose three to start with. If you see the screenshot below, he starts with Rain, Hail Strike and Electric Discharge.

divinity-original-sin-2-4-1024x576.jpg

You can edit the spells you start with by going to "Preset" on the character creation screen and then to Selected Skills. Click on Edit to see the options.

When it comes to your companions, it depends what you choose for them when talking to them - they ask what you want them to be when they start out. Example, if you choose a tanky warrior, they'll have tanky warrior skills. They shouldn't have any pyro skills. Choosing a ranged bow user and they should have huntsman skills. It's all in what you choose for them. To me, it sounds like you're choosing something without realising it - and your companion characters are all the same as a result.

I'd also suggest having one, possibly two characters with a heal. One character should get it from their Hydro skill, and you can get a ring early on (Migo's off the top of my head) that lets one of your other characters use the base heal. It's VERY useful early game particularly. Your Hydro character should have Rain and Restoration, this negates fire and helps keep your dudes alive.
    -Basically having to give up on Rogue which is usually my favorite class, they're dead within the first 2 turns of every combat so theres no point having them in your party.

Rogues do tend to die a lot, however, they do have lots of sneaky abilities to get them in and out fast. They can also do insane single target damage if you position them right. I used Fane as a backstabbing rogue in my first game, which means he heals from poison (he's undead). He died a lot, but he made his fair share of kills before doing so. Fane also has a "Play Dead" skill which means enemies ignore him until he decides to get back up again, meaning he stays alive longer and gets more kills. Bonus: he can use his fingers as lockpicks, so no need to carry lockpicks around.
    -Clicking on a crate or container to see if theres anything in it: Adds the fooking container to your inventory!. Also your inventory is just a big heaping pile, no sorting.

Single clicking on it shouldn't add it to your inventory. It does sometimes happen by accident, but single click should just check. Also, it's a dull grey, there's nothing in it. Might save some time.

There's an autosort button near the top of your inventory. You can sort by Last Picked Up, Value, Weight, Durability and Type. You can also (and this is very useful) choose what types of items to display using the line of icons on the top below where it says Inventory. All, Consumables, Magical, Ingredients, Misc, Books and Keys, and Wares. Tip, Wares is used to autosell items. Mark an item as wares (right click and selection the menu option to do so) and next time you're at a vendor, you can add all wares to the transaction with one click.

The inventory can get a bit cluttered at times, which is why they've given you the bags you have. What I do is dump items for crafting, books etc into the bags. That gets it out of the main inventory but I still have it available for use.

Last thing. You can split up your party and move them seperately - normally they all move as one as they're chained together (their portraits on the left are). You can drag the portraits away to break the chain and then you can move them seperately. Makes positioning for fights possible and the fights themselves much more doable.
    Such a disappointment after all the reviews, greatest RPG of modern times?

You seem to have had a rough start with the game. All I can say is it's well worth sticking with.

Actually, Fextralife have a decent "Beginner's Guide" to those starting out.

Rogue is by far away and away my favourite class. Ridiculous damage output, loads of AP. If they die, have the healer Res them. Also teleport enemies that are weak on physical armour near to your rogue (they'll be gone in a turn), or drop them to lower ground than your archer. The combat in this game is joyous.

I do think the questing on reapers coast is tedious and there are annoyances with NPC and secret visibility sometimes. However the three things that piss me off most are unchaining characters, dragging spells from my spell bookand trying to time my dialogue clicks on npcs. All interface issues. The gameplay and voice acting more than make up for it though

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,055 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I've found the combat both frustrating and rewarding. Annoying that they all clump together, even when the formations are changed (usually only if the area is small). And it does seems like my magic armour is less effective than enemies, but that might just be my imagination/frustration.

Definitely changing Fane to a Rogue once i get the chance, as i don't have one at the moment and like the idea of not needing lockpicks. Will probably respec everyone bar my Ifan tbh, as i don't think i specced them well. And i think i'll go mostly physical damage as well, as that seems to make things far less complicated. I do enjoy my summoner/ranger build though.

Overall i'm really enjoying it. There is a huge amount of freedom in how you go about things as well, which is great.

• Advertisement

In the formation menu there is checkbox to apply the formation at the start of the fight if you are finding your party is clumped together.

Advertisement