Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Conure / Senegal Breeders Ireland

• 19-07-2018 1:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5

Hi all,

I'm interested in getting a Green-cheek Conure or Senegal Parrot, although I'm having a hard time finding a reputable breeder.

I know there are ads on donedeal.ie, etc. However, I'm not comfortable going through there because I feel that people could be selling birds on there with issues to an unsuspecting buyer.

I have owned birds before, a Sun Conure and an African Grey who unfortunately I had to give up when I moved here (to Ireland) from South Africa. I gave them to a bird sanctuary with huge aviaries and flocks of their own.

I live in Bray, but have no problem travelling to breeders, incl. Northern Ireland.
    Also, please know that I'd prefer the normal, natural version of a Green-cheek conure, not really interested in mutations (aka. pineapple, etc.)

Please only give suggestions of hand-reared birds.

Thank you!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 17,736 ✭✭✭✭kylith

Try Bird Jungle on Keeper Road, D8.

• Registered Users Posts: 5 MChiper

Thank you!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

As above Bird Jungle or Wags & Tails in Galway have hand reared birds too. We are collecting one next week.

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭Bunnyslippers

Hand reared birds are not always great, please be aware that as they think they are human they will often go off the person who keeps them when they hit sexual maturity at around 2 and will look for a mate, ie another person, at this point.
    Also hand rearing is what creates so many issues in captive birds, I have one hand reared bird and she has issues, the other, a rescue Amazon, I have was an aviary parent reared bird. He was a lot of work to gain his trust but he has far less issues than the other and is now a very friendly cuddly bird.
    Hand rearing is purely done for breeders to make money as they are far more likely to sell a ‘cuddly tame’ bird than a parent reared bird, there is no benefit what so ever for the parrot and is cruel as the bird has no idea it’s a bird it thinks it’s a person.
    So personally I’d avoid breeders and rescue, or considering you’re a student I would leave buying a bird until you are way older and have a more stable life, it’s not fair on the bird. Sorry if that’s not what you want to hear.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭Knine

I've had lots of hand reared birds. No issues. Very tame. We are a very busy house though so plenty to kerp them amused.

• Advertisement
Advertisement