Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Credit where Credit is due

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,016 ✭✭✭spankmemunkey

fricatus wrote: »
    Credit to the woman behind the bar in the Reg yesterday. I dropped in there for lunch, and while I was waiting, she gave some French-speaking visitors their order (or some part of it) on the house, because it had taken a long time to be served to their table. Not sure whether this is in-house policy or at her discretion, but it left me with a very good impression.

Not only that, but when she saw that they were fascinated by the decor and range of drinks behind the bar, she offered to let them in behind the bar and take their picture. Definite brownie points on TripAdvisor!

Not being smart or anything but did you put it on tripadvisor?
    I only ask because I work in a similar industry and we are hung and drawn on our trip advisor reviews and when someone says ill give ye a good review on trip advisor it kind of means alot

Hi all

Has anybody used these guys in town and if so how did yee get on???

Tis not cheap I just wanna get some opinions

• Registered Users Posts: 28,783 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Hi all

Has anybody used these guys in town and if so how did yee get on???

Tis not cheap I just wanna get some opinions

never used them but i hear great things about them

Wanderer78 wrote: »
    never used them but i hear great things about them

This was actually supposed to be a new thread DOH!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

http://www.thejournal.ie/waterford-alzheimers-supplement-4080536-Jun2018/

Great work done by this team again, looks good for WIT too

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 137 ✭✭Saysay19

The lads in Dooleys chipper this week in Tramore.

They are all smiley working in there, fair play to them!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

I passed down the quay Saturday night and seen all the emergency services i kinda had an idea what was happening but just seen this on the river rescue facebook yesterday
    ***Incident Call-out***
    At 21:45 tonight 07/07/18 our pagers were activated by MRCC (Marine Rescue Coordination Centre) Irish Coast Guard to a report of a person in the water near Rice Bridge. Crew responded and ILB was launched at 21:54 approximately and proceeded up river just past Rice Bridge where the casualty had been secured in the water by a very courageous passer by, who also entered the water with the aid of a Ring Buoy. Both persons were recovered and taken onboard with the main causality in a very distressed state, immediate first aid was given to the causality. But for the fast thinking of the passer by and the use of the Life Buoy which was secured on land this could have been a different outcome, both were taken back to The Plaza Marina and with the assistance of Waterford City Fire Service both casualty and rescuer were passed onto the care of Waterford Ambulance Station Also at scene at the time were Waterford Gardai and Rescue 117. Crew were stood-down by MRCC at approx 22:15. We really do hope the person receives the treatment they need and a massive well-done to the passerby for their assistance.

Well done to the person who jumped in with the lifebuoy to save the other persons life.

Also well done to the emergency services as they were in water 9 minutes after the call was made,and within 20 minutes you had the fire service,ambulance,police and coastguard helicopter all there.

• Registered Users Posts: 922 ✭✭✭crustybla

Big thanks to the cashier in Aldi who let me through with my trolley full of shopping even though I had left my bag at home. I came back to pay of course but she saved me from being mortified at the till.:-)

Credit to n&s this week, really interesting interview with a priest, nothing too controversial, stayed away from obvious scandals but just interesting read, learn a bit about where he is coming from, probably a fair distance from my own beliefs or lack of but good all the same. I have mentioned it before, our local papers are vital if you want to know what is going on locally. most of the news or more accurately, rumor read in this forum turns out to be Nonsense. Obviously, the interview I reference above is not news but if you want accurate information, in general, support and get your news from a local paper or a reputable national paper.fair play Munster express, n&s, etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭TheQuietFella

Max Powers wrote: »
    Credit to n&s this week, really interesting interview with a priest, nothing too controversial, stayed away from obvious scandals but just interesting read, learn a bit about where he is coming from, probably a fair distance from my own beliefs or lack of but good all the same. I have mentioned it before, our local papers are vital if you want to know what is going on locally. most of the news or more accurately, rumor read in this forum turns out to be Nonsense. Obviously, the interview I reference above is not news but if you want accurate information, in general, support and get your news from a local paper or a reputable national paper.fair play Munster express, n&s, etc

Local newspapers do not report upon what's going on locally but they are just spin doctors for the political parties in much the same way as national and international media has become. Full of totally uninteresting and irrelevant stories, topics spawned by a host of uneducated and illiterate for the want of a better phrase witch doctors!

• Advertisement

Local newspapers do not report upon what's going on locally but they are just spin doctors for the political parties in much the same way as national and international media has become. Full of totally uninteresting and irrelevant stories, topics spawned by a host of uneducated and illiterate for the want of a better phrase witch doctors!

A truly worrying point of view to have in these times of numerous attacks, verbal and physical across the world on journalism.I suppose I'm not surprised that you write that because you have proven yourself to be so uninformed on countless occasions on what is happening here locally and elsewhere.

• Registered Users Posts: 13,985 ✭✭✭✭Johnboy1951

I guess it depends on what one considers 'news'.

For instance our national TV NEWS yesterday had a longish item on some lady who sold her cattle.
    Why was that on national news?
    Was it news-worthy?
    Human interest .... yes I guess so.
    News? not in my life!

Also, I have noticed more and more how biased the reporting is ... coupled with the choice of 'expert' to hammer home that bias!

I no longer buy newspapers so cannot comment on what they fill their space with or if it is biased. It used to be biased when I did buy newspapers ..... now some decades ago!

I believe it would have been better if the article in the paper referred to above, was balanced by an article on someone with opposing views.
    Both those together would make 'interesting reading' and comparison, IMO.
    Without balance there is bias.

A truly worrying point of view to have in these times of numerous attacks, verbal and physical across the world on journalism.I suppose I'm not surprised that you write that because you have proven yourself to be so uninformed on countless occasions on what is happening here locally and elsewhere.

Inform me so Max! Tell me what I'm missing!

There is a civil war happening in Syria for the last seven years and I don't see
    too much commentary on any on the media about that! Migrant issues between Austria and Germany also not being reported! Did the rescue of a group of guys trapped in a cave in Thailand deserve so much international attention? Thousands of people dying of starvation across Africa? The purchase of over €1.5m worth of vehicles by WCC was quickly brushed under the carpet, why? All we're hearing about is Brexit when all it is being used for is a distraction! UK won't be leaving the EU!

Inform me so Max! Tell me what I'm missing!

There is a civil war happening in Syria for the last seven years and I don't see
    too much commentary on any on the media about that! Migrant issues between Austria and Germany also not being reported! Did the rescue of a group of guys trapped in a cave in Thailand deserve so much international attention? Thousands of people dying of starvation across Africa? The purchase of over €1.5m worth of vehicles by WCC was quickly brushed under the carpet, why? All we're hearing about is Brexit when all it is being used for is a distraction! UK won't be leaving the EU!

The vehicles thing was Covered by both local papers, more than once in fact were articles related to it in papers...you missed that for a start.

Credit to n&s this week, really interesting interview with a priest, nothing too controversial, stayed away from obvious scandals but just interesting read,

Your words Max, not mine!!!

Your words Max, not mine!!!

Correct for once, they are my words.

This is unbelievably brilliant, you were previously saying, the papers are useless, not covering things, etc and then you post a link to a papers article on the very issue you said wasn't covered, talk about shooting yourself in the foot, classic...I'm glad you are reading the Times anyway, you might learn something and finally post something sensible.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,783 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Max Powers wrote:
    This is unbelievably brilliant, you were previously saying, the papers are useless, not covering things, etc and then you post a link to a papers article on the very issue you said wasn't covered, talk about shooting yourself in the foot, classic...I'm glad you are reading the Times anyway, you might learn something and finally post something sensible.

Times podcasts are pretty good to

I'm sure The Munster Express & The News & Star were as acute in their reporting!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,026 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

I'm sure The Munster Express & The News & Star were as acute in their reporting!

It was actually Darren Skelton from the News and Star that actually broke this story in the first place, If it wasn’t for his dogged work and not taking no for an answer, this would never have made the National papers.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Aquos76 wrote: »

It was actually Darren Skelton from the News and Star that actually broke this story in the first place, If it wasn’t for his dogged work and not taking no for an answer, this would never have made the National papers.

Just about to say this.

Seriously, the guy is a WUM. Never anything good to say, sees the bad in everything, doesn't ever offer anything constructive. Just the same boring stuff over and over and over. Just ignore him is the best thing to do.

Ah Darren, a lovely fella! The Bernstein & Woodward combined of Irish journalism! :D

Ah Darren, a lovely fella! The Bernstein & Woodward combined of Irish journalism! :D

Keep digging quiet fella, your self made hole is getting even bigger and more embarrassing for you, talk about an own goal.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,649 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Keep digging quiet fella, your self made hole is getting even bigger and more embarrassing for you, talk about an own goal.

Just ignore him Max. The less replies to him, then the less posts he makes

Deiseen wrote: »
    Just ignore him Max. The less replies to him, then the less posts he makes

I should really deiseen, you are right but he makes it too easy often.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

I should really deiseen, you are right but he makes it too easy often.

You love feeding trolls Max Powers.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,427 ✭✭✭mooseknunkle

You love feeding trolls Max Powers.

As much as he wears his heart on his sleeve hes a trolls dream,a gift that keeps on giving for them...

• Registered Users Posts: 871 ✭✭✭Captain Red Beard

He's your brother, isn't he?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,657 ✭✭✭Wanderer2010

I personally think Darren Skelton is a great journalist, always willing to ask difficult questions and push an issue when interviewing an official.

Whereas with Dermot Keyes of the Munster Express, he plays it safe every time, very boring and non-confrontational, petrified to upset anyone. If you want true, hard hitting journalism you 100% wont get it from Keyes.

Advertisement