Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hollow Knight

• 15-07-2018 10:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭

30hrs into this on the Switch and it's consistently blowing me away. Obvious Dark Souls/Metroidvania influences and also similar to two of the best 2d platformers of recent times Celeste and Salt and Sanctuary. I'm guessing I'm over halfway done but just don't want it to end.

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

How are the boss fights?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,506 ✭✭✭Doctor Nick

I'd love to give it a shot, heard great things about it. Hate buying digital though. How big is the file? If I could download it without busting my data allowance I'd definitely get it. Looks great.

Don't really get the Dark Souls resemblance myself.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

I'd love to give it a shot, heard great things about it. Hate buying digital though. How big is the file? If I could download it without busting my data allowance I'd definitely get it. Looks great.

On the Switch, it's about 2.6 gigs or so, if I recall correctly.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,791 ✭✭✭sweetie

Really? Obtuse story line, respawning enemies, interlinking zones and shortcuts, your souls are lost upon dying until you reclaim them, boss fights galore, etc etc.
    How are the boss fights?

Really good, getting harder

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭XVII

it's just a trend in the last couple of years to see similarities to dark souls in everything.

fantastic game anyhow, looking forward to the next dlc.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,580 ✭✭✭Glebee

Playing through on PC at the moment. Great game and about 15 hours in but im completely stuck at the Watcher Knight boss fight. Have tried so many time and gone back to upgrade wepons but cant get by it. Its kind of ended the game for me:(

• Registered Users Posts: 338 ✭✭XVII

Glebee wrote: »
    Playing through on PC at the moment. Great game and about 15 hours in but im completely stuck at the Watcher Knight boss fight. Have tried so many time and gone back to upgrade wepons but cant get by it. Its kind of ended the game for me:(
    there is a trick to remove one of them from what I remember, have you tried that?

XVII wrote: »
    there is a trick to remove one of them from what I remember, have you tried that?

Done that, knocked down the light above. He just kicks my ass every time. Have just about ran out of patience with it.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,085 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

I find the ‘Switch effect’ fascinating. The game was floating around on PC for quite some time, but the conversation around it only seems to have exploded thanks to the recent console release. Pretty remarkable how Nintendo’s portable gives indie games a second lease of life.

As for the Dark Souls comparisons... there’s obviously a lot going on in the game influence-wise, but there’s definitely a strong inspiration from From. It can be a lazy comparison for sure, but when a game has so clearly drawn inspiration from the aesthetic, narrative and gameplay approach of the Souls games it’s a justified one. What’s key is that it still feels like its own thing despite all that, with enough interesting ideas and systems of its own to ensure it doesn’t drown in the shadow of another game.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 27,788 ✭✭✭✭TitianGerm

Glebee wrote: »
    Done that, knocked down the light above. He just kicks my ass every time. Have just about ran out of patience with it.

Did you beat them after? I did them my third go using Quick Focus and Sharp Shadow.

Just in general though I've never had to do as difficult platforming section in 20+ years of gaming as I've just had to do to get the second half of the king soul. It was brutal.

TitianGerm wrote: »
    Did you beat them after? I did them my third go using Quick Focus and Sharp Shadow.

Just in general though I've never had to do as difficult platforming section in 20+ years of gaming as I've just had to do to get the second half of the king soul. It was brutal.

Uninstalled it. Just could not get it done. To make it worse aftr taking a break from the game, I found that when I went back to it I was crap at it and had forgotten all the moves, etc :mad::mad:

It's probably one of my favourite games now. Really really good and super value for €15.

TitianGerm wrote:

That was brutal! Check out Celeste for a similar platforming challenge.

Some game, can't wait for next dlc in a couple of weeks.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

It's probably one of my favourite games now. Really really good and super value for €15.

€15 where?

nix wrote: »
    €15 where?

I got it on the Switch.

I got it on the Switch.

Was it in a sale? Cant see it on any platform for less than €/£20.

Nope.

https://esho.pw/search/Hollow%20Knight

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 79,989 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

Would this be similar to dead cells?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,324 ✭✭✭chrislad

Would this be similar to dead cells?

Not really. Dead Cells is more rogue like, in that you die easily enough, but lose everything when you die (weapons etc) bar maybe one or two of the permanent abilities. You slowly work your way back up, but as you get better at the game, it gets easier.

Hollow Knight, from a control point of view, is very similar, but not from a gameplay point of view. If you die, you go to your last save spot, and all you lose is your currency, which can be gotten back, but you retain all your experience, weapons, stats etc.

Personally, Hollow Knight, I found is easier to get into, where Dead Cells will probably require a few hours - I like it, but with Fortnite and Okami, I don't have time to focus on more than one game at a time so I'm parking it for the moment! :)

• Advertisement

do you have a gaming pc?

sweetie wrote: »
    do you have a gaming pc?

Sure do, not that this game would need it though i dont think :D

Sure do, not that this game would need it though i dont think :D

mine couldn't! pmed.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SomeSayKos

I bought this on the switch to scratch that dark souls itch until that comes out on switch. I'm really liking it so far. I've gotten really stuck a couple of times so far but I reckon I'm probably at the halfway point ( At the Soul Master Boss ). Love the art direction and the music is fantastic too.

SomeSayKos wrote: »
    I bought this on the switch to scratch that dark souls itch until that comes out on switch. I'm really liking it so far. I've gotten really stuck a couple of times so far but I reckon I'm probably at the halfway point ( At the Soul Master Boss ). Love the art direction and the music is fantastic too.

Soul Master took me ages. Ended up leaving him and coming back when I'd Shade Cloak.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,399 ✭✭✭✭ThunbergsAreGo

Best game I have played in ages

Godmaster update out today and 34% discount on switch price!

sweetie wrote: »
    Godmaster update out today and 34% discount on switch price!

Absolute bargain at that price. What is it now €10?

I'm nearly 70 hours play time now :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭Xofpod

Finished after about 70 hours. Knew nothing about it in advance, but probably one of my favourite gaming experiences of recent years. What to play next though?

• Advertisement

Is there any clue that you are supposed to slash downward on those purple mushrooms to bounce? I assumed I was missing a key item to progress and wandered the map for a few hours.

Advertisement