Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Junior Rugby [Social Rugby] Season 2018/2019

• 20-06-2018 1:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 30,308 Mod ✭✭✭✭

General chitchat for Junior rugby divisions for the upcoming 18/19 season including a place to pimp your club for preseason recruitment etc.

Will add fixtures and divisions into OP when known

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,924 ✭✭✭shoutman

Yeowwww,

Clontarf Junior & Women's rugby are hosting a pre pre-season fitness boot-camp - details can be found on our website www.clontarfrugby.com/bootcamp
    Bootcamp_Poster.jpg"

Set up in 1876, Clontarf is one of the oldest rugby clubs in Ireland, with it’s founding pre-dating that of the IRFU (Hence why the official name is Clontarf FC and not Clontarf RFC)

Clontarf train and play their matches on their pitches in Castle Avenue, Clontarf. A very accessible location that is serviced by many bus routes & the DART line (Killester DART station is about a ten-minute walk). The club itself is about 5km from the city centre.

Our club boasts sum of the best rugby facilities in Ireland, with both a state of the art All Weather Pitch and a floodlit grass pitch, a gym and large clubhouse facilities with 5 changing rooms, two bars and a large function hall.

We have 6 senior adult Men’s teams, 2 u20’s sides, 1 over 35’s side and 1 Women’s side, so, all levels of ability and experience can be catered for.

If you are looking to take up rugby or get back into playing following a break or are relocating to Dublin and looking to play a bit of rugby we have a team for you.

Feel free to send me a PM on here or you can message us on twitter @tarfjuniorrugby or facebook https://www.facebook.com/clontarfjuniorugby/

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Anyone know anything about vets rugby? Teams involved etc?

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

stephen_n wrote: »
    Anyone know anything about vets rugby? Teams involved etc?
    Isnt that normally run end of season and run by Bective or at least Bective had ran it when vets started.
    Normally would be season by season to see which clubs will field

Isnt that normally run end of season and run by Bective or at least Bective had ran it when vets started.
    Normally would be season by season to see which clubs will field

Not sure, thought they played once a month or something during the normal season. Getting itchy feet, just not sure I can hack junior rugby.

stephen_n wrote: »
    Not sure, thought they played once a month or something during the normal season. Getting itchy feet, just not sure I can hack junior rugby.
    no dont think so. played post christmas anyway and thats been virtually every season its been played.
    would dipping in and out of junior rugby before christmas and then play vets after be worth it?

• Advertisement

no dont think so. played post christmas anyway and thats been virtually every season its been played.
    would dipping in and out of junior rugby before christmas and then play vets after be worth it?

I could probably manage Div 10 or 11 standard, but I’m too old to be chasing kids at this stage :pac: Will see how I feel in September.

Interesting to see Dublin Dogos have moved from metro rugby to the leinster junior leagues. Now playing j1 leinster league division 3

Metro divisions 1/2 have fixtures up. Obviously social divisions will be that bit later.
    Down to Wesley, Clontarf and Lansdowne with sides in both the top 2 divisions.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,515 ✭✭✭arsebiscuits1

After a long hiatus (~10 years) I am seriously thinking of getting back to the 15 a side code. Tag has been my only rugby form for the last 5 years.

Played in school. Gave up for leaving cert. Had every intention of playing in college. Never happened.

South Dublin. Social is the main factor. Where to play? I've a few ideas but want to see some sales pitches!!

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

South Dublin is a big place!

• Advertisement

After a long hiatus (~10 years) I am seriously thinking of getting back to the 15 a side code. Tag has been my only rugby form for the last 5 years.

Played in school. Gave up for leaving cert. Had every intention of playing in college. Never happened.

South Dublin. Social is the main factor. Where to play? I've a few ideas but want to see some sales pitches!!
    You want to play socially but what level would you want/aspire to play?
    What position(s) did you play, level in school you play to?
    South Dublin big place with plenty of clubs for social/junior rugby. Be more specific and might help with suggestions
    Would you prefer to play 5ths/6ths in a very big senior club or 3rds in a smaller junior club?

You want to play socially but what level would you want/aspire to play?
    What position(s) did you play, level in school you play to?
    South Dublin big place with plenty of clubs for social/junior rugby. Be more specific and might help with suggestions
    Would you prefer to play 5ths/6ths in a very big senior club or 3rds in a smaller junior club?

I was a scrumhalf. Still a decent pass. No interest in anything overly competitive.

I don't care where or what level I play as long as I get a game.

My primary reason for this is to get out of the house 1-2 evenings a week and a good session at the weekend

South Dublin is a big place!

So hopefully a lot of suggestions :pac:

I was a scrumhalf. Still a decent pass. No interest in anything overly competitive.

I don't care where or what level I play as long as I get a game.

My primary reason for this is to get out of the house 1-2 evenings a week and a good session at the weekend
    Will still be easier for recommendations if you say general area you are or would prefer kind of club.
    Like Bective will now be junior but 3rds/4ths will be in metro divisions 7/8/9.
    Old Wesley have teams down to 5ths but only 5ths are in social divisions. even their 4ths are division 4 which is top level of j2 rules in the metro leagues.

Will still be easier for recommendations if you say general area you are or would prefer kind of club.
    Like Bective will now be junior but 3rds/4ths will be in metro divisions 7/8/9.
    Old Wesley have teams down to 5ths but only 5ths are in social divisions. even their 4ths are division 4 which is top level of j2 rules in the metro leagues.

Honestly doesn't matter too much! I know South Dublin is vague and unhelpful.

I'd rather Donnybrook/Ballsbridge area than Terenure.

Lansdowne, Belvo, UCD, Wesley, Bective, Lansdowne are all much handier than the likes of Marys, Terenure or Stillorgan.

As long as the lads are sound and the training is good craic, I'm easy.

Lansdowne, Belvo, UCD, Wesley, Bective, Lansdowne are all much handier than the likes of Marys, Terenure or Stillorgan.

Take you're pick then. Bective are now a junior club but will still have their 3rds/4ths playing lower metro divisions.
    To play for UCD you have to be a current student or a graduate of the university.
    Take your pick really of any that suits you best for training tbh.

Having played against both Wesley & UCD in recent years at the social level, I can attest that both clubs seemed to have what you are looking for.

Both were there for fun, competitive without any nasty stuff. Both stuck around for a few pints after the game, and I'd gladly recommend both to anyone looking to play a bit of social rugby out that part of the world.

Take you're pick then. Bective are now a junior club but will still have their 3rds/4ths playing lower metro divisions.
    To play for UCD you have to be a current student or a graduate of the university.
    Take your pick really of any that suits you best for training tbh.

While I thought this was the case also, it's actually not. You don't need to have any connection to UCD to play with them, just happens that majority of their players are current or past pupils.

shoutman wrote: »
    While I thought this was the case also, it's actually not. You don't need to have any connection to UCD to play with them, just happens that majority of their players are current or past pupils.

I also am UCD alumi.... although it was a while ago now :(

• Registered Users Posts: 12,950 ✭✭✭✭Losty Dublin

I also am UCD alumi.... although it was a while ago now :(

CYM is a better bet. Sure UCD is full of students :)

• Advertisement

Division 3 fixtures up now. Only 7 teams though?
    Division 1
    Naas, Terenure, Old Wesley, Old Belvedere, UCD, Clontarf, Lansdowne, Trinity
    Division 2
    Wanderers, Old Wesley, St Marys, Barnhall, Greystones, Lansdowne, Clontarf, Blackrock
    Division 3
    Terenure, Old Belvedere, Tullamore, Navan, Seapoint, Marys, Skerries

shoutman wrote: »
    You sure? As their website says otherwise

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Lancher

Social rugby in Belvo is pretty decent. Organised training with decent numbers. Good age range too from early 20's right thru to late 30's

• Registered Users Posts: 606 ✭✭✭Chico Flores

Division 3 fixtures up now. Only 7 teams though?
    Division 1
    Naas, Terenure, Old Wesley, Old Belvedere, UCD, Clontarf, Lansdowne, Trinity
    Division 2
    Wanderers, Old Wesley, St Marys, Barnhall, Greystones, Lansdowne, Clontarf, Blackrock
    Division 3
    Terenure, Old Belvedere, Tullamore, Navan, Seapoint, Marys, Skerries

Were Blackrock not in Metro 3 last year and came in the top 2 or 3

You sure? As their website says otherwise

A friend of mine plays with them and has no connection to the college.

• Site Banned Posts: 12,341 ✭✭✭✭Faugheen

Anyone know what junior rugby in Clontarf is like? Haven't played since school about 10 years ago and even at that I was quite average. Just looking to get back into a fitness regime and I've thought about going back to rugby for a while.

Faugheen wrote: »
    Anyone know what junior rugby in Clontarf is like? Haven't played since school about 10 years ago and even at that I was quite average. Just looking to get back into a fitness regime and I've thought about going back to rugby for a while.
    there is several posters here who play/played with tarf. Seems to run thi vs well. Plenty of sides at social level as well as decent progression to higher levels of anyone wants that

They have a development side, which would probably be what your looking for. Pm AK. he should be able to point you in the right direction.

Hey, I've just sent you a PM.

• Advertisement

Divisions 4/5 now up with fixtures.
    Rathdrum, Stillorglin-Rathfarnham, UCD, Old Wesley, Naas, St Marys, Malahide
    Greystones, CYM, MU Barnhall, Wanderers, St Marys, Lansdowne, Clontarf, Blackrock

Advertisement