Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bookies tracking you via installed apps

• 16-07-2018 9:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭

As some one who works in software app development I am always very wary about installing apps on a phone. Reason being the permissions most apps look for when you install them mean you are allowing them access pretty much everything on your phone. So would never do internet banking on a mobile. Thing with betting I have a separate phone I use so allowing an app access everything on my phone is not a big deal. But... With geo location off does any one know if Willy hill app can get a lock on your location with geo location turned off or will the app even work with location off. ?

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,480 ✭✭✭bloodless_coup

As some one who works in software app development I am always very wary about installing apps on a phone. Reason being the permissions most apps look for when you install them mean you are allowing them access pretty much everything on your phone. So would never do internet banking on a mobile. Thing with betting I have a separate phone I use so allowing an app access everything on my phone is not a big deal. But... With geo location off does any one know if Willy hill app can get a lock on your location with geo location turned off or will the app even work with location off. ?

If using WiFi instead of mobile data, they can use IP address for approximate location.

Why never do banking on a phone?

Seems a bit paranoid. Who cares if they know your location when placing a bet. Let them build thier ****y data models. Worthless stuff anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭mayoman1973

Unless you can be 100% certain that no installed app is doing any key logging, screen grabbing, scraping etc then don't do banking on a phone. Have seen apps that have circumvented even the explicit permissions you grant or don't grant.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭mayoman1973

As for my location info.... Lol. My brother wants me to do some bets for him.... But I live in a different location....

Advertisement