Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

U12 team singing holy song after a game

• 13-07-2018 7:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭

Here's a new one on me.
    After a recent U12 match the opponents gathered in a huddle and sang a song that was all about Jesus and Amen.

Initial thought was ,thats a bit full on, but later I started to think it's a bit weird and actually not in the spirit of inclusiveness.

Any one else come across this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Here's a new one on me.
    After a recent U12 match the opponents gathered in a huddle and sang a song that was all about Jesus and Amen.

Initial thought was ,thats a bit full on, but later I started to think it's a bit weird and actually not in the spirit of inclusiveness.

Any one else come across this?

Was team made up of evangelical Christians?

Doesn't really sound like a Catholic thing to me!

As for inclusiveness, it is not a one way street.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭RebelButtMunch

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Was team made up of evangelical Christians?

Doesn't really sound like a Catholic thing to me!

As for inclusiveness, it is not a one way street.

The club are just a regular local club. I've never heard them at that before.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

Sounds weird. Our young fellas would have beaten heads off us if we got them to sing a hymn!

Assuming by regular, you mean not non Irish, who do like the old hymn singing and testifying!

Not really an irish Catholic thing.

It's a sport not a Sunday school.

Religion should have nothing to do with it.
    What if there were non Christian parents there for a look to see if it's good for their child to join. They'd likely be put off

• Advertisement

I agree it is strange and not appropriate.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,841 ✭✭✭Squatter

Religion should have nothing to do with it.
    What if there were non Christian parents there for a look to see if it's good for their child to join. They'd likely be put off

Perhaps that's the subtle intention.

Davy fitz might try a few hymns next time! Or voodoo or something ...

• Registered Users Posts: 4,065 ✭✭✭Xenophile

'God Save The Queen' is a HolySong

If the boys song is respectful let them sing away or for that matter at home games too.

The Forum on Spirituality has been closed for years. Please bring it back, there are lots of Spiritual people in Ireland and elsewhere.

Xenophile wrote: »
    'God Save The Queen' is a HolySong

If the boys song is respectful let them sing away or for that matter at home games too.

That's not the same as a praise jesus song

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

Is it much different than having to say a morning prayer at school every morning? The Hail Mary is one of the few bits of Irish i can speak.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,931 ✭✭✭huskerdu

Is it much different than having to say a morning prayer at school every morning? The Hail Mary is one of the few bits of Irish i can speak.

Hail Mary is a Catholic prayer which is only said by Catholics. Non Catholics dont say this .
    A GAA team singing an Christian hymn is a message that non Christians are not welcome

There is no way it would be acceptable in our GAA club.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional Midwest Moderators Posts: 23,901 Mod ✭✭✭✭Clareman

I remember having a mass said for the Harty team in Flannan's but that was a majorily Catholic church, I can never remember any religion involved afterwards. Was there a sick child or something that they were praying for? Sounds very strange to me

Advertisement