Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Fire - Williamstown?

• 12-07-2018 9:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭

Big fire right now somewhere near Williamstown, smoke visible all over. Anyone know what’s going on? Hopefully no injuries...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 723 ✭✭✭aziz

Looks to be a big gorse fire out that direction,I could see the flames from ard na greine

• Registered Users Posts: 83 ✭✭PPN2893

I can see it from the Cork Road and assumed it was near Ursuline Court because of the visibility. Also saw a weird looking drone of some sort flying close to the plume of smoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭tiredcity

Seems to be in a field near enough the halting site. Hopefully nobody's hurt. Fire brigade were just arriving when I was passing.

Was way too far back to be able to see what was happening but here's two rubbish photos anyway. Sizewise it's bigger than it looks in that second photo.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Gillman1998

PPN2893 wrote: »
    I can see it from the Cork Road and assumed it was near Ursuline Court because of the visibility. Also saw a weird looking drone of some sort flying close to the plume of smoke.

It was odd looking wasn't it? A bit like a hang glider or a bat-shaped thing, quite big as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭Gillman1998

Hard to believe something like that that started naturally.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Sure it only takes the bottom of a broken bottle so strong is the sun and dry is the land.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

Sure it only takes the bottom of a broken bottle so strong is the sun and dry is the land.

from people I know who play in clubs down there and were there yesterday..kids from the 'area', same kids often causing trouble there apparently, not an isolated incident, there's been a lot of issues with vandalism, break ins and horses wrecking pitches down there last year or more.I have witnessed general messing down there myself watching a match so I'd say not without basis.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

PPN2893 wrote: »
    Also saw a weird looking drone of some sort flying close to the plume of smoke.

Might have been taking these pictures:

https://twitter.com/Just_Eoin/status/1017524092289847297

• Closed Accounts Posts: 40,061 ✭✭✭✭Harry Palmr

Ah yes encampment just next door and the fire not all in the one place.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,630 ✭✭✭marlin vs

Ohh my god aren't the poor people in the encampment lucky that what little wind was blowing was away from them.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,064 ✭✭✭Finnbar01

So the fire was started deliberately by people burning rubbish. I hope the gardaí make some arrests but somehow I doubt it.

Advertisement