Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Having my online bookie account deleted and all data erased

• 11-07-2018 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭

See with this new GDPR thingy. Does it change anything or can you have bookies delete all records of you ever having had an account with them?
    https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-regulation-gdpr/individual-rights/right-to-erasure/
    The above link seems to imply that you can have them delete everything about you because you have withdrawen your consent for them to hold your data.
    But I contacted an online bookie whos answer to my delete request was ....
    "Please be advised that it is our policy to retain and make available financial information for a period of 7 years. Other Information will be retained for the period necessary to fulfill the purposes set out in paragraph 2.1 unless a longer retention period is required or permitted by applicable law. We will take all reasonable steps to ensure that the privacy of Information is maintained on disposal."

So does this mean their policy is one which supercedes GDPR ( which smells of BS ) or is it an external regulation they must abide by ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,852 ✭✭✭Glenbhoy

See with this new GDPR thingy. Does it change anything or can you have bookies delete all records of you ever having had an account with them?
    https://ico.org.uk/for-organisations/guide-to-the-general-data-protection-regulation-gdpr/individual-rights/right-to-erasure/
    The above link seems to imply that you can have them delete everything about you because you have withdrawen your consent for them to hold your data.
    But I contacted an online bookie whos answer to my delete request was ....
    "Please be advised that it is our policy to retain and make available financial information for a period of 7 years. Other Information will be retained for the period necessary to fulfill the purposes set out in paragraph 2.1 unless a longer retention period is required or permitted by applicable law. We will take all reasonable steps to ensure that the privacy of Information is maintained on disposal."

So does this mean their policy is one which supercedes GDPR ( which smells of BS ) or is it an external regulation they must abide by ?

Interesting question, maybe try the legal forum and you may get more response, I'd be interested in hearing the answer.

• Registered Users Posts: 46 Clippett

This is a very interesting topic OP... because let's say you have an account that is heavily restricted, with this new GDPR could you for example ask the betting company to remove any data they have on you and open a fresh new account ?

I'm sure they probably have some way around this or they will be getting a lot of reopened accounts I imagine.

Please post any findings. Thanks

• Registered Users Posts: 1,386 ✭✭✭mayoman1973

Yes,  that is clearly the reason bookies want to retain your info.  If so then they need to lobby the powers that be to add this clause in because to my knowledge there is no clause in GDPR legislation that they can retain your information for the purposes of banning winners.  There is however provision for them to retain your info if they suspect money laundering.  I have it in writing that they do not suspect me of money laundering so there is no other valid reason for keeping my data on file. Seems a complaint to ICO is only way to go.  IBAS has no dog in this fight so no point going to them.

Advertisement