Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The Final Countdown

Options
  • 04-08-2017 12:27pm
    Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭

Stupid question time.

In the film The Final Countdown USS Nimitz is sent back in time to 1941, just before the Pearl Harbour attack and blah de blah you all know what happens.

The stupid question is how would an Iowa class battleship fare if one of them was sent back, and they decided to STAY back there. All the anti aircraft weaponry has been removed, there are a couple of CIWS ( i think it's 4?) in place of the AA guns.

Would they have been able to successfully defend themselves from a determined Japanese air attack?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,504 ✭✭✭tac foley

I predict that no Japanese aircraft would have gotten within half a mile.

tac

• Registered Users Posts: 6,737 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

tac foley wrote: »
    I predict that no Japanese aircraft would have gotten within half a mile.

tac

Why not?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,867 ✭✭✭sparky42

Why not?

Well the 4 Phalanxes have about 6000 rounds between them, that would make mincemeat out of a lot of planes, there's also the secondary 5" guns, though the question is what state they were in by that stage?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 90,695 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

Stupid question time.
    Stupid answer time.

I saw a documentary on this*

The Iowa's had radar, look up Taffy 3 to see how radar and 5 inch guns faired against dye filled shells and optical targeting, and a top speed of 35 knots.

So you can imagine her closing in on Truk and firing a nuclear tipped cruise missile from a couple of hundred Km away, and then a month later taking out Kure too.

Even without the weapons the lessons learnt would be game-changing.

Use the B29's to drop mines offshore instead of bombing cities. That would have destroyed a lot of shipping so food, fuel and raw materials would be scarce and cripple the war machine.

The latest medical information would confer an advantage beyond having an extra ship.

The radar and sig-int capabilities would remove a lot of the fog of war, and they'd have secure comms.

*I can't remember how it ends but the cook got upset when he found a playboy bunny inside the captain's birthday cake.

Advertisement