Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

WC Qualifier: Philippines vs Australia Chaos - 13 ejections #basketbrawl

• 03-07-2018 1:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,316 ✭✭✭

Philippines started it with a hard offensive foul away from the ball, Australia escalated it and then everyone joined in.

Match shouldn't've restarted, but it did, after 9 ejections for the Philippines and 4 for Australia.

It meant the Philippines only had 3 players left for the final 14 minutes. But after a couple of minutes, they decided to foul themselves out to force an abandonment before the end of the third quarter.

Some big fines and long suspensions to be announced in the next few days.

I bet they wouldn't have restarted the game if the team leading by 31 points had been reduced to 3 players, although that would have been more interesting.

The video is totally worth watching. In reality the delay lasted for more than 30 minutes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 106 ✭✭mjavi

Have watched the game and it is an absolute s***show. Bad officiating all throughout and our man Pogoy was really out for blood there with a few elbows before that very obvious elbow from AUS player Kickert that started the fracas. 
    Watching the game I was pretty sure some sort of untoward incident will happen, but not in this magnitude where the PH bench cleared to make things worse, even the coach and a few spectators throwing chairs. I'd argue that the players on court would definitely throw some fists but the bench / coaching staff should have held their men and stopped the fight, but it was the complete opposite. 
    We've been slowly building a team for a FIBA finals contention and this will surely set us back a few more steps.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,458 ✭✭✭✭For Forks Sake

mjavi wrote: »
    Have watched the game and it is an absolute s***show. Bad officiating all throughout and our man Pogoy was really out for blood there with a few elbows before that very obvious elbow from AUS player Kickert that started the fracas. 

Nonsense, it was the elbow to the face by PHI #16 on the AUS #4 that started it (02:45) Kickert came in in retaliation

Better angle on it here.
    https://twitter.com/Eurohoopsnet/status/1013792674980270081

mjavi wrote: »
    Watching the game I was pretty sure some sort of untoward incident will happen, but not in this magnitude where the PH bench cleared to make things worse, even the coach and a few spectators throwing chairs. I'd argue that the players on court would definitely throw some fists but the bench / coaching staff should have held their men and stopped the fight, but it was the complete opposite. 
    We've been slowly building a team for a FIBA finals contention and this will surely set us back a few more steps.

Yeah they seem really bothered :rolleyes:

wPrEw0F.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 18,694 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

That elbow by Kickert was out of line tbh, his man flopped. But the Filipinos deserve to have the book thrown at them for this.

Advertisement