Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

What do you think of the "palmed" goals?

• 08-07-2018 11:45am
    Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭

Personally I hate it. There's no skill required at all to score. Just handpass across the goal and you can basically throw the ball into the net.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

Pussyhands wrote: »
    Personally I hate it. There's no skill required at all to score. Just handpass across the goal and you can basically throw the ball into the net.

What's the alternative?
    Fist to the net?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,906 ✭✭✭threeball

I personally think all scores from the hand shouldn't be allowed. They require little to no skill and defenders have next to no chance. I think if they were stopped you'd see less blanket defences as 7 or 8 defenders could cope better without having teams trying to run through the middle with little handpassing manoeuvres trying to walk the ball into the next or over the bar.

It's aesthetically horrible too.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,348 ✭✭✭✭siblers

threeball wrote: »
    I personally think all scores from the hand shouldn't be allowed. They require little to no skill and defenders have next to no chance. I think if they were stopped you'd see less blanket defences as 7 or 8 defenders could cope better without having teams trying to run through the middle with little handpassing manoeuvres trying to walk the ball into the next or over the bar.

Surely the skill for defenders is to stop the opposition from getting into a position where they can palm a goal?

siblers wrote: »
    Surely the skill for defenders is to stop the opposition from getting into a position where they can palm a goal?

It's impossible. Look at basketball. Massively smaller court, massively smaller target, still tough to defend. That split second it takes to control the ball to get a foot strike away is the difference for defenders having a chance or none at all. It's football, at least the scores should be by foot.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,239 ✭✭✭Pussyhands

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    What's the alternative?
    Fist to the net?

At the very least a fist.

Then a fist after the pass came from a foot pass.

Preferred option for me would be to not allow any handed goals. All must be scored by foot.

It would make things more exciting for me. How many times do you see a player breaking through on goal and all he need to do is fist it across the goal and another player can't miss as he basically throws it into the net.

Forcing teams to learn how to kick a ball into the goal would be good. Too much use of the hand in football these days.

At the very least a fist.

Then a fist after the pass came from a foot pass.

Preferred option for me would be to not allow any handed goals. All must be scored by foot.

It would make things more exciting for me. How many times do you see a player breaking through on goal and all he need to do is fist it across the goal and another player can't miss as he basically throws it into the net.

Forcing teams to learn how to kick a ball into the goal would be good. Too much use of the hand in football these days.

It would lead to more penalties and black cards as well if they could only use the foot

• Registered Users Posts: 2,436 ✭✭✭ixus

Get rid of the blanket defense first. That is main reason it happens.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,418 ✭✭✭curry-muff

ixus wrote: »
    Get rid of the blanket defense first. That is main reason it happens.

:pac:

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

Should only be able to do it from a kicked pass

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,090 ✭✭✭keeponhurling

In soccer, they can't use their hands at all so they end up heading it into the goal if they can't swing a leg at it.
    Using hands is simply part of gaelic football, and indeed the skill is not letting the opposition to be in a position to palm/fist/head the ball into the goal !

• Site Banned Posts: 1,413 ✭✭✭DONTMATTER

What about hand passing the ball over the bar?

DONTMATTER wrote: »

It should be a fist over the bar.

In fact I'd make all handpasses fist passes.

A lot of them are now pushes of the ball or throws.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,008 ✭✭✭Euphoriasean

DONTMATTER wrote: »

Personally dislike all scores with the hand bar the punch into the back of the net from a long ball in. I'd be in favour of scores with the hand only coming from kick passes. Each to their own though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,362 ✭✭✭Crash Bang Wall

A lot of them are illegal I think.....in that the players seem to catch and push the ball.....2 seperate movements. They should have to use their fist

Advertisement