Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Pro 16

• 04-07-2018 4:37pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭

https://twitter.com/simonrug/status/1014498457212669952

I'd have major concerns here. Who are these teams? I've never heard of them and also does SA have the players to support 10 professional teams?

I know this is very much rumor at this stage but if we are expanding to 16 we should be demanding at least 1 on the current SA teams.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 16,971 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Far too speculative to go deep into this, but that'd be immensely underwhelming.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,967 ✭✭✭✭The Lost Sheep

I'd have major concerns here. Who are these teams? I've never heard of them and also does SA have the players to support 10 professional teams?

I know this is very much rumor at this stage but if we are expanding to 16 we should be demanding at least 1 on the current SA teams.
    Does South Africa not already have 16 pro teams as all currie cup teams are pro with the super rugby teams just combinations of those squads/best of groups of those squads?
    And moving more teams to europe is to try keep players playing in south africa but also able to play in europe and potentially increase incomes to stop players from having to move away.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,920 ✭✭✭✭stephen_n

Does South Africa not already have 16 pro teams as all currie cup teams are pro with the super rugby teams just combinations of those squads/best of groups of those squads?
    And moving more teams to europe is to try keep players playing in south africa but also able to play in europe and potentially increase incomes to stop players from having to move away.

Didn't seem to work well with the Cheetahs.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I believe most of the currie cup are semi pro these days with a leaving on pro players from the related super rugby franchise.

To be honest the question is not do south africa have enough players , a quick glance the number of south african professionals in europe will tell you that they do, rather can the domestic rugby economy support enough players in south africa. To be honest i doubt it.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,951 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Both the griquas and the pumas would both be a ****ter version of the current Kings.... Completely pointless allowing teams of that quality join.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

The South Africans are staying in Super Rugby.

Having Griquas and Pumas join Pro 14 would allow them to keep their feet firmly in both camps.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,199 ✭✭✭troyzer

The Griquas and Pumas would never be competitive in a Pro16. I can understand from a South African perspective why this would make sense, but why would the Pro14 benefit from this?

I can only imagine they're eyeing up a bigger slice of the domestic South African TV audience but not many people attend or watch these teams as it is, never mind watching them get hammered 60-0 by Leinster et al.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

troyzer wrote: »
    The Griquas and Pumas would never be competitive in a Pro16. I can understand from a South African perspective why this would make sense, but why would the Pro14 benefit from this?

I can only imagine they're eyeing up a bigger slice of the domestic South African TV audience but not many people attend or watch these teams as it is, never mind watching them get hammered 60-0 by Leinster et al.

They're well supported in the Currie Cup

They're well supported in the Currie Cup

Are they? The pumas have a medium sized stadium and they never fill it.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,099 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

This means fewer games by 3. Also increases the amount of Turkey shoots. It's like adding two division 2 AIL teams

• Advertisement
  • Subscribers Posts: 40,951 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Burkie1203 wrote: »
    This means fewer games by 3. Also increases the amount of Turkey shoots. It's like adding two division 2 AIL teams

Even worse, the griquas are a feeder team for the cheetahs franchise, so their inclusion would weaken the cheetahs even more.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

How do they figure there would be less games?
    Currently there are 21 league games - 6 home and away in your own conference = 14 plus playing the other 7 + 2 extra interpros = 21.

8 team conference = 14 home away games +
    8 in the other conference = 22. That excludes the extra 2 inter pros.

Unless you only play each team once -
    7 games + 8 in other conference + 2 inter pros = 17 league games in a season. Thus they don't play on the 3 international weekends is it?

Currently there are 21 league games - 6 home and away in your own conference = 14 plus playing the other 7 + 2 extra interpros = 21.

7 games + 8 in other conference + 2 inter pros = 17 league games in a season. Thus they don't play on the 3 international weekends is it?

That's what they're saying. You suspend the league for the internationals.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Are they? The pumas have a medium sized stadium and they never fill it.
    The Pumas average crowds of 13,000 at home Currie Cup matches.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pumas_(rugby_team)

In Pro X terms that's a decent crowd

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pumas_(rugby_team)

In Pro X terms that's a decent crowd

13,000 isn't too bad. Their stadium is probably just far too big. It always looked empty when I've watched them on the box.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,984 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

That's what they're saying. You suspend the league for the internationals.
    Yeah. You set up the conferences so that the derbies are within the conference rather than cross-conference. So you could have the four SA teams together with four Irish, Welsh or the Scots and Italians. Would cut down on the travelling too.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,811 ✭✭✭Tigerandahalf

prawnsambo wrote: »
    Yeah. You set up the conferences so that the derbies are within the conference rather than cross-conference. So you could have the four SA teams together with four Irish, Welsh or the Scots and Italians. Would cut down on the travelling too.

I can't see that happening. I think you will see an end to the inter pros. They are already a poor product with shadow teams being put out in half the fixtures. You only want Munster and Leinster playing max twice a season including playoffs.
    If the tv revenue makes sense everyone will compromise.

I wonder will Super Rugby go back to a Super 12 format played over a small window.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

There will definitely not be an end to the interpros. Not a chance.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

I can't see that happening. I think you will see an end to the inter pros. They are already a poor product with shadow teams being put out in half the fixtures. You only want Munster and Leinster playing max twice a season including playoffs.
    If the tv revenue makes sense everyone will compromise.

I wonder will Super Rugby go back to a Super 12 format played over a small window.

The IRFU definitely will not compromise. The InterPros are a huge money spinner for them.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭thegreycity

If they're only going to do one game against each team then they should scrap the conference system and make it a combined table.

No doubt each year we would end up with some horrendously unfair situations but that's not going to change by having conferences.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

I don't want less games tbh. Less rugby is a bad thing as far as I'm concerned. I like getting to see the wider squad in action in competitive senior games. It helps develop depth in the Pro14 squads, which is something that works to our advantage both provincially and nationally in the longer term. And call me cynical, but I don't see the prices of season tickets going down, or TV subscriptions, when the number of games are reduced.

I'm not sure where the Griquas and Pumas thing is coming from, but they'd be a poor choice. The attempt to improve the product by reducing games would immediately be undone by adding 2 more also-rans to the equation. And so we'd have more poor opposition facing stronger teams making the whole thing less competitive. Is there a risk here that we're chasing the Euros a bit too much?

• Administrators Posts: 53,333 Admin ✭✭✭✭✭awec

There are already far too many dead rubber games in the Pro14, we don’t need to add more.

awec wrote: »
    There are already far too many dead rubber games in the Pro14, we don’t need to add more.

It might have been a dead rubber, but I for one welcome more results like this

Connacht 47 - 10 Leinster

bazwraf wrote: »
    It might have been a dead rubber, but I for one welcome more results like this

Connacht 47 - 10 Leinster

You're welcome to them as long as we keep getting results like this.... ;)

blues.jpg

molloyjh wrote: »

blues.jpg

Rekt m8

molloyjh wrote: »

blues.jpg

Eh, we're talking about the Pro 1x here, not Europe :P

• Registered Users Posts: 12,984 ✭✭✭✭prawnsambo

bazwraf wrote: »
    Eh, we're talking about the Pro 1x here, not Europe :P
    What's that trophy on the left? :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

It's definitely gonna be 4 conferences of Wales, Ireland, SA and others.

That gives you 6 fixtures in your conference and 12 fixtures in the other conferences. So 18 regular season. Then seeded quarters, semis and final.

• Registered Users Posts: 245 ✭✭thegreycity

errlloyd wrote: »
    It's definitely gonna be 4 conferences of Wales, Ireland, SA and others.

That gives you 6 fixtures in your conference and 12 fixtures in the other conferences. So 18 regular season. Then seeded quarters, semis and final.

I actually like the sound of this. Obviously the Irish and Welsh conferences will be considerably harder than the other two, but we have that imbalance anyway with the focus on derbies.

Because you have four conferences you couldn't do seeded quarters, it would just be the top two from each conference go into the knockouts.

• Advertisement

I actually like the sound of this. Obviously the Irish and Welsh conferences will be considerably harder than the other two, but we have that imbalance anyway with the focus on derbies.

Because you have four conferences you couldn't do seeded quarters, it would just be the top two from each conference go into the knockouts.

I think that'd be ridiculous tbh. The 4 Irish provinces generally have at least 3 teams in or close to the knock outs. The Welsh teams generally have 1 good team (Ospreys/Scarlets), 2 average teams (Cardiff & Scarlets/Ospreys) and 1 awful team (Dragons). Over the 9 seasons with play-offs the Welsh have only gotten more than 1 team into the play-offs once. Last year, when Munster spanked Ospreys in the SF after the Ospreys had started their decline into averageness.

Compare that to Irish provinces. In the 9 years of play-offs we've never had less than 2 teams competing at that stage, and on 3 separate occasions we've had 3 teams in the knock outs. Of the 38 teams to play knock-out league rugby, 21 have been Irish provinces and only 8 have been Welsh regions. Irish teams have won 10 league titles to 6 Welsh.

And that's comparing us to the Welsh, the ones who are consistently the most competitive of the other nations in the league. Having an all Irish conference like that would give Irish provinces an immediate disadvantage over pretty much all other teams. You could have a situation where Leinster and Munster qualify from the Irish conference and Ulster don't, yet Ulster could be one of the top 5 or 6 teams in the competition.

Advertisement