Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

BrewDog’s Cinematic Circus is coming to town....

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 33,822 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

There's a couple of ads for this on the scrolling ad displays on the Naas Rd between Red Cow and Long Mile Rd. Impossible to read when driving :rolleyes:

Weston is a bizarre location for an event you can't drive home from.

Life ain't always empty.

454024.png

I don't live too far away but on Dublin Bus it's a trip right into the city centre and out again. Feck that. Did they do any research at all before arranging this? Weston is further out of the city than Dublin Airport ffs, and much more poorly connected to it.

Life ain't always empty.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Would have thought a 76 and then a 67 would have been significantly quicker? Unless I'm either misremembering the bus numbers or they've changed the routes...

I put in departure and destination points into DB's website and that's what I got. I'd like this event to succeed and be repeated, but I don't hold out much hope and the roadside advertising 2 weeks out seems like a desperation move

Life ain't always empty.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,523 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Ad up in Dorset Street so it's not just local at least.

Most craft fests do line and radio ads which seem missing here, first time around at least you do need to let people know it's happening

• Advertisement

Dunno why someone near to the centre of the city would want to travel out to this, with an infrequent bus home (if they're lucky enough for it to be one bus)

Not sure who'd want to travel there in broad daylight never mind hoping to get home fairly late.

It's just a bad location.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,389 ✭✭✭✭Saruman

Just saw this on Facebook, a code for half price: CIRCUS50
    I paid full price for mine :(

As to getting there, buses go to the Lucan Spa slip every few minutes. It's only around the corner, about 15 minute walk. Also, trains go to Leixlip and Celbridge. They are putting on bus transfers to/from them.

• Registered Users Posts: 116 ✭✭basskebab

Saruman wrote: »
    Just saw this on Facebook, a code for half price: CIRCUS50
    I paid full price for mine :(

As to getting there, buses go to the Lucan Spa slip every few minutes. It's only around the corner, about 15 minute walk. Also, trains go to Leixlip and Celbridge. They are putting on bus transfers to/from them.

Saw that too. Would be a bit pissed off if I'd paid for a full price ticket! I'm assuming the ticket sales aren't going to well if they've done 50% discounts. Location isn't helping

• Registered Users Posts: 1,330 ✭✭✭gaz wac

looking at 26 degrees for Saturday...at least we will have the weather! Also doing a half marathon that morning, so nice way to chill for the rest of the day!

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Niallp1976

I don't live too far away but on Dublin Bus it's a trip right into the city centre and out again. Feck that. Did they do any research at all before arranging this? Weston is further out of the city than Dublin Airport ffs, and much more poorly connected to it.

If you get the train from Clondalkin to Hazelhatch, there is a free bus to Weston for teh event running every 15-25 mins

• Advertisement

Looking at my tickets, the drink prices are a tad strange

Tokens are 1.50 a go, sheets of 10 only

<6.5% - 3/pint - 4.50 a pint. Wahey. Barely get that in Celbridge itself. 2/half paint - 3.00 is another option for <6.5%.
    >6.5% - 3/half - 9.00 a pint. Jesus.

Cans - 3.00. Fairly reasonable. No difference for ABV

It almost reads like there's a typo but I doubt it. Either 6/pint < 6.5% or 6/pint < 6.5% would have made more sense with the other prices.

Just have to stay on the lower strength full pints!

They really need to outlaw this Itchy and Scratchy Dollars nonsense, or force them to be refundable.

Life ain't always empty.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 11,776 Mod ✭✭✭✭BeerNut

They really need to outlaw this Itchy and Scratchy Dollars nonsense, or force them to be refundable.
    It's getting to be almost impossible to run a beer festival in Ireland. Adding further regulation would probably kill the concept completely.

• Registered Users Posts: 4 Niallp1976

Beer List for Cinematic (And also Hawkes Apple Cider)

**Brewdog Beers**
    Punk
    Dead Pony
    Elvis Juice
    Jet Black Heart
    Hazy Jane
    Indie Pale Ale
    Overworks Haedor
    Overworks Sooer Peach
    8 Bit Collab NE IPA
    Jet Trash West Coast IPA
    Trashy
    Brewdog V Amundsen Collab (Mallow Mafia)
    Dog G
    5am Saint
    Clockwork Tangerine
    Kamikaze Knitting Club
    Nanny State

**Yellow Belly**
    Citra Pale Ale
    Castaway Passion Fruit Sour

**Third Barrel**
    Shut Up Juice
    Strawberry Fields
    Stone Barrel Boom IPA

**Kildare Brewing Company**
    Weiss

**Dot Brew**
    Little Pale
    Barrel Age Cognac Brown Ale

**Wicklow Wolf**
    Elevation Pale Ale
    Ranchero Rauchbier

**Rising Sons**
    Uprising
    Mayhem

*Note Some beers are only available in EFP section

BeerNut wrote: »
    It's getting to be almost impossible to run a beer festival in Ireland. Adding further regulation would probably kill the concept completely.

Agree with both posts here despite them being in disagreement with each other

Trying to organise refunding people - many of whom will be leaving at the end of the event and possibly be a bit too inebriated to know exactly what they're doing - would be a logistical nightmare. But it's extremely disagreeable that such systems have this problem.

I've been to events in the Netherlands where munten were used for the bar everywhere - even in bog standard nightclubs to reduce cash handling, pickpocketing etc. The modern system there is a disposable smartcard, usually a one token handling fee for a refund doable via a providers website

Between all the various beer festivals, plus other outdoor events that might want to use such a system I'd say there's a market for someone to come in to Ireland with them. They're sold and charged via self service card terminals usually so it reduces staffing costs for the operator also.

L1011 wrote: »
    Between all the various beer festivals, plus other outdoor events that might want to use such a system I'd say there's a market for someone to come in to Ireland with them.
    Would the festival vendors trust a system that gives that much power to the host, though? There's a lot to be said for physically handing a pile of tokens to the organiser and getting paid for them. It's very different to a club where only one business needs to get paid out of each transaction.

Valid point. Direct payout from the card provider minus the operator cut could be done. May need someone like payzone or verifone with a reputation in the game to run something like this

• Registered Users Posts: 18,625 ✭✭✭✭BaZmO*

Was actually going to go to this until I found out I'm on babysitting duties :(

Not too disappointed though as I've pretty much tried all the beers on the list apart from the BD Overworks stuff. Ah well, next time.

minus the operator cut could be done. May need someone like payzone or verifone with a reputation in the game to run something like this
    Three companies being paid every time you buy a beer! I mean it's not like punters ever complain about festival admission and drinks prices as-is...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,185 ✭✭✭emo72

I'll have about 5 pints of the weaker stuff. What token do I need. This is my first beerfest, I haven't an iota. I feel old and stupid. Feckin tokens!

• Advertisement

emo72 wrote: »
    I'll have about 5 pints of the weaker stuff. What token do I need.
    That's 15 tokens, 3 per pint.

That's 15 tokens, 3 per pint.

You're a gentleman. Thank you.

• Registered Users Posts: 715 ✭✭✭ianob7

emo72 wrote:
    I'll have about 5 pints of the weaker stuff. What token do I need. This is my first beerfest, I haven't an iota. I feel old and stupid. Feckin tokens!

Cans are only 2 tokens so that might be an alternative for you also

Three companies being paid every time you buy a beer! I mean it's not like punters ever complain about festival admission and drinks prices as-is...

Two, fest operator and card operator. That being verifone or whoever. Would still be two as soon as you bring in the cards

It's not going to happen anyway - at best we need to see more of the setups where the volume of tokens sold in one go is limited towards the end of the day and can be bought in smaller volumes.

ianob7 wrote: »
    Cans are only 2 tokens so that might be an alternative for you also

I'm not really a fan of cans. Bottles are ok. But if Im getting a nice ale I definitely love a fresh pulled pint. Example I love Carrig Poachers Ale, but it never tastes as good from a bottle. Sadly my local stopped selling it on tap. So I stopped going to it.

If anyone is familiar with Poachers pale ale, can yis recommend an alternative at the show?

Two, fest operator and card operator. That being verifone or whoever. Would still be two as soon as you bring in the cards
    So the brewers give away their beer for free?

So the brewers give away their beer for free?

I thought you meant three taking a cut before the brewery - which coild have happened the way I described it, finance house, separate card operator, fest operator all taking their fees.

I thought you meant three taking a cut before the brewery - which coild have happened the way I described it, finance house, separate card operator, fest operator all taking their fees.
    Nobody would organise a festival where they get a cut of the takings. They take the money and then give the suppliers a cut of it. That's how every token system works, and for a good reason.

Is it really that hard to give people a refund option on the way out? Or things which can be bought with one token, or even a charity box to put them into on the way out? Because taking money and not providing value for it is basically theft.

Or: putting it another way,
    Tokens are 1.50 a go, sheets of 10 only

So I pay my €15 and enjoy a few beers, then I want one more but I have to buy another €15 worth. So I'm incentivised to drink €30 worth when I only wanted to drink say €20.

Life ain't always empty.

• Advertisement

Nobody would organise a festival where they get a cut of the takings. They take the money and then give the suppliers a cut of it. That's how every token system works, and for a good reason.

I'm aware how token systems work and nothing I've said contradicts that. Whereas you've just said no organiser takes a cut, but then said every organiser takes a cut - you may want to re-read that post for comprehension.

Festival organisers sell the tokens to punters. Breweries receive the tokens from punters, return them to the festival organisers, get payment for them which is less than the punters paid for them. That is still taking a cut, whatever term you wanted to use for it instead.

Where the card system exists - someone else is loading the cards and paying out the breweries but they would still be giving an equivalent cut to the festival organisers.

Is it really that hard to give people a refund option on the way out? Or things which can be bought with one token, or even a charity box to put them into on the way out? Because taking money and not providing value for it is basically theft.

Organising cashing out small amounts of tokens to people who may be pissed when you're trying to clear a venue is not easy. That's one reason why its basically never done.

Advertisement