Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

The 6th Annual Irish Beer Mile Championships. Saturday 18th August 2018

• 22-06-2018 5:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 48

Time to start training for this year's beer mile. This year we're moving the event back to a Saturday meaning that we'll be heading into Dublin city centre for celebratory/action-replay drinks afterward.

Location: The National Beer Mile track, Kilbogget Park, Cabinteely

Date: Saturday 18th August 2018

Rules:
    Rules (below) will be the same as before. For more information on beer mile rules and information in general see beermile . com

4 laps.
    1 12 oz beer per lap..
    Must be at least 5 % ABV.
    Puking means a penalty lap.
    You must be over 18.
    You must acknowledge that drinking 4 beers and running a mile is an irresponsible thing to do, but it's just a bit of juvenile fun.
    Fancy dress is permitted.
    Competitors must remain clothed during the event
    Competitors are asked not to fill up on beans and eggs before the event.

12 oz beers are hard to find in Ireland, so make sure to buy some in advance. This is a nonsense American measure, but it’s part of the official rules so make sure to find some.

Medals:
    Same as last year, I have beer bottle opener medals for both the men’s and women’s categories, only different to last year I already have them so there's no chance of them arriving too late :-P

If you're interested in coming either PM me or add yourself to the facebook event:
    https://www.facebook.com/events/1824209534541923/

Comments

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Somewhat interested. My running has gone to **** but my beer drinking is coming on nicely.

• Registered Users Posts: 644 ✭✭✭simonw

Definitely in, have a miraculous 3rd place from last year to defend

• Registered Users Posts: 3,690 ✭✭✭CR 7

I'll have to bring the trophy back anyway so I might as well try to defend it while I'm there! :)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,293 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Definitely interested! Have missed this every year since becoming aware of it, for various reasons. A week after my 42nd birthday, seems like an eminently sensible thing to do :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,012 ✭✭✭Itziger

Just jumping in here to post my sterling effort in the (un)official Luxembourg Beer Mile today. 8.19 got me the coveted silver medal. Might give ye an idea of the competition. Measured a bit short too!
    Christ, but it's a tough discipline.  The 'running' on laps 3 and 4 left something to be desired.Plenty of frothing at the mouth on my behalf. Not a million miles from a penalty lap. But I'll take it.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 16,093 Mod ✭✭✭✭adrian522

Great stuff! What was your beer of choice?

adrian522 wrote: »
    Great stuff! What was your beer of choice?
    There was no choice. Cans of a generic lager at 5.6 degrees if memory serves me. They wanted to present me with 24 of the stuff at the end but I was doing my 4kms cool down to home.

• Registered Users Posts: 48 DrDrankEngine

Less than a month to go!

Based on CR 7's performance last year, I've decided that the best way I can make myself go faster this year is to go with more-colourful and (most importantly) shorter shorts this year! With a plan like this how could I possibly lose?

Also it's great to see that we'll have all three podium finishers from last year competing again this year! :-D

Now that we're down to the last few days, what time are we starting on Saturday? I'm guessing it's 7, from the Facebook event?

I haven't managed to get any training sessions in this year, and I doubt I'll get a chance any time this week either, but the beer mile is all about experimentation so I'm sure it'll all be fine.

Yeah 7pm is the plan

Also the current plan is to get the bus into the Gingerman for drinks afterwards

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,293 ✭✭✭ionapaul

Can anyone recommend a suitable beer to go for?

ionapaul wrote: »
    Can anyone recommend a suitable beer to go for?

In terms of easy to find, Sierra Nevada IPA is everywhere these days which is good, but I find it a bit fizzy. If you go to the craft beer section of your off license and look for small cans of american Pilsner or Session Pale Ale you should be alright.
    Founders all day IPA or Sierra Nevada Nooner Pilsner are probably good.

If you are stuck, Dunnes sell Moosehead Lager which meets the criteria, but i find it pretty fizzy as well.

I think cans are better than bottles for this too, because you aren't messing around trying to open them!

Don't forget, whatever you pick should be 355ml and at least 5%!

Best of luck to all. Will be keeping an eye in times to compare with my effort in Lux in June.

The trophy is on the way to Dublin anyway, all polished up and everything! I managed to remember to bring a bottle opener with me this year too, so hopefully that'll be enough to make up for the lack of training...

Well????? In the good old days there'd be pics, video, banter for pages.

Itziger wrote: »
    Well????? In the good old days there'd be pics, video, banter for pages.

In the good old days there would be a big boards turnout as well!
    From memory:
    winner was 6:18
    CR 7 came 2nd with ~7:30
    3rd was 8:04
    I was 4th on 8:43

The only female entrant eventually took home her medal after 36mins, which is practically a beer marathon :D

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

simonw wrote: »
    In the good old days there would be a big boards turnout as well!

+1

The results will be up on beermile.com in good time I'm sure.

Shocking boards turnout.

Shocking female turnout (as usual).

Came 6th out of 13 with my second slowest time ever, 9:53. First time I've done a beer mile with no training done in advance.

Evening was good fun.

Thanks so much to everyone who showed up! This beer mile was class!

I've put up the results here:

http://www.beermile.com/e/151295/MW8D7Oz0hW1B7jdGWg9dEB4Tw8WI78IU4

I've still to upload the video but I'll do that soon

• Registered Users Posts: 7,694 ✭✭✭Chivito550

Thanks to DrDrankEngine for again organising a great event and good craic was had afterwards at the track and in town.

The video is up on that link now I see.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,834 ✭✭✭OOnegative

Good man Anto, showing how it should be done!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 666 ✭✭✭The man in red and black

6:18 is fair ould going! Would love to take part next year. Couldn't attend this year. Will have to mark it in the diary early! Won a couple of team pub runs in College but that's a different story

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,035 ✭✭✭HelenAnne

Chivito550 wrote: »
    +1

The results will be up on beermile.com in good time I'm sure.

Shocking female turnout (as usual).

My husband is always trying to get me (female) to do it - but it's just too much beer! I couldn't even drink 4 cans on a night out, never mind within 20 minutes or whatever. I'd probably die! I'd say the same is true for loads of women.

Is there such a thing as a 'shots mile'? :-) Maybe I could try that and try to finish the mile before the alcohol fully hit (and then I could lie down and die as four shots would DEFINITELY kill me!)

• Registered Users Posts: 10,414 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

HelenAnne wrote: »
    My husband is always trying to get me (female) to do it - but it's just too much beer! I couldn't even drink 4 cans on a night out, never mind within 20 minutes or whatever. I'd probably die! I'd say the same is true for loads of women.

Is there such a thing as a 'shots mile'? :-) Maybe I could try that and try to finish the mile before the alcohol fully hit (and then I could lie down and die as four shots would DEFINITELY kill me!)

‘Prosecco rules’ were suggested a couple of years ago but don’t think there were many takers!

Murph_D wrote: »
    ‘Prosecco rules’ were suggested a couple of years ago but don’t think there were many takers!

that would be just as bad!! fizzy, and probably higher in alcohol than beer.

I propose a complex algorithm where everyone has to drink beer in proportion to their bodyweight :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 97 ✭✭Good jib!

Is this happening this year?

It's looking like this year's Beer Mile is going to be on the hallowed ground of Kilbogget Park on the 21st of September.
    Start preparing!

It's looking like this year's Beer Mile is going to be on the hallowed ground of Kilbogget Park on the 21st of September.
    Start preparing!

Great news, the highlight of the Irish athletics calendar

Last night I had 750ml of beer over several hours, while sitting down relaxing, and STILL felt hammered when I stood up. So I think I am definitely not a beer-mile contender :-(

• Registered Users Posts: 10,414 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

HelenAnne wrote: »
    Last night I had 750ml of beer over several hours, while sitting down relaxing, and STILL felt hammered when I stood up. So I think I am definitely not a beer-mile contender :-(

You’d be grand. The drunk doesn’t kick in till you’re finished. :pac:

(But never again, I promised myself last time).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,754 ✭✭✭ReeReeG

I am MAD to try this.

Advertisement