Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Metallica... The grand owl question... The Unforgiven 1, 2 or 3???

• 28-06-2018 10:43am
    Registered Users Posts: 21

Completely random but trying to settle a debate, which is the better song of the trilogy?

Unforgiven - The Black Album, 1991
    Unforgiven II - Reload, 1997
    Unforgiven III - Death Magnetic, 2008

As a purist I assume that most will pick The Unforgiven original? Or maybe just hate the other 2..

My order is personally 2,1,3

I think the 2nd has a more poignant melody which just sticks more, could be that I have overheard number 1 so many times..

Anyways, just wondering...

:):eek:
    Thanks

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,316 ✭✭✭nthclare

Definitely the original, it's nostalgic.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

2 is good but a bit tainted by being on Reload, which, to me, is pretty boring bar a few songs.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,349 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

I think II suits reload a lot better than I suits the black album
    III is just a mess.

So for that reason I would agree II,I,III

• Registered Users Posts: 21 dcselling

ELM327 wrote: »
    I think II suits reload a lot better than I suits the black album
    III is just a mess.

So for that reason I would agree II,I,III

That is a fair point, there is no denying that The Black Album is the far superior album of the 3 but 2 does slot in with the tone of Re-Load

I think 3 has its moments, certainly the lesser of the 3, for me. I think sometimes I just have so much time for anything that isn't St Anger :D A bit of reverse psychology I think was done by the lads there..

• Registered Users Posts: 10,301 ✭✭✭✭gerrybbadd

1 , 2, 3 for me.

The original is absolutely epic. When that solo kicks in, it's awesome. Seeing how it came together as well (Classic Album's Metallica: The Black Album) is fantastic.

I do like the others a lot. 2 & 3 would be a toss up for 2nd favourite if im honest

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭peter4918

For me it’s 1 by a mile, it’s no contest really. But I’d go 1, 2 , 3 for purpose of this!

• Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭Okon

No contest for me either, the original is the better song. I love it.

Unforgiven II isn't too bad though, I can see why some people like it... while the less said about III the better!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,854 ✭✭✭✭MetzgerMeister

1, 2, 3 for me. Never thought it needed a 3rd rendition but Hetfield was obviously upset with himself a third time :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 732 ✭✭✭RicketyCricket

Wouldn't really be a fan of any of them but I is the best of the 3. II is poor and III is scutter.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,858 ✭✭✭Church on Tuesday

The Unforgiven for me.

Unforgiven II is a good song though.

Can't stand III, as far as I can remember it was only Hetfield who wanted it on DM he had to fight a bit for it's inclusion.

Dreadful song.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,074 ✭✭✭LoughNeagh2017

I tried to get into Metallica recently but didn't like them much, I assumed I would because I like Trivium.

Something I don't get is why they are viewed as the most "metal" band in history, they are far from it, even those metalcore bands are more metal than Metallica,

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

All three songs are awful. Most metal ballads generally are terrible, exceptions for Iron Maiden and Opeth.

You didn't get Slayer recording crap like this

• Registered Users Posts: 28,797 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

Something I don't get is why they are viewed as the most "metal" band in history, they are far from it, even those metalcore bands are more metal than Metallica,

You didn't get Slayer recording crap like this

Jaysis, the kids are in!

The original by far, barely remember the other two

• Closed Accounts Posts: 26,658 ✭✭✭✭OldMrBrennan83

This post has been deleted.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 803 ✭✭✭BelovedAunt

DM was the first Metallica album I listened to, so 3 for me. I love the other two as well though and I can see how a lot of long term fans wouldn’t be a fan of 3.

Also, I’ll never understand why people who aren’t fans go out of their way to come into a thread and tell people how **** the band are.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,797 ✭✭✭✭Wanderer78

DM was the first Metallica album I listened to, so 3 for me. I love the other two as well though and I can see how a lot of long term fans wouldn’t be a fan of 3.

Check out their back catalogue
    Also, I’ll never understand why people who aren’t fans go out of their way to come into a thread and tell people how **** the band are.

Well said

• Registered Users Posts: 1,459 ✭✭✭Anesthetize

I didn't go out of my way to come into the thread to tell people how **** the band are. As I quite enjoy their first four albums.

I went out of my way to come into the thread to tell people how **** those three songs are.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 875 ✭✭✭mean gene

A lot of us were big Metallica fans from years ago who now think their crap since after and justice for all

• Registered Users Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

mean gene wrote: »
    A lot of us were big Metallica fans from years ago who now think their crap since after and justice for all

Snooooore

• Registered Users Posts: 21,349 ✭✭✭✭ELM327

^^^
    reminds me of:

I was a metallica fan before the band existed I'm so hipster

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

mean gene wrote: »

I bet you slagged off people for having short hair and listening to metal back then too?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,634 ✭✭✭✭Mental Mickey

seachto7 wrote: »
    I bet you slagged off people for having short hair and listening to metal back then too?

I've never had long hair and I listened to a lot of metal - particularly in my teens.

• Registered Users Posts: 702 ✭✭✭rowanh

Justive.. What are you thinking, Metallica peaked during the some kind of monster filming!

Advertisement