Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Lifting + Running

• 24-06-2018 10:17am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭

Ive been running 5 years and mostly into distance and trail running and average week would aim to do about 30-40 miles a week. I mainly look at doing 1 long run, 1-2 quality sessions (intervals, fartlek, hills, etc) and 1-2 easy runs so usually running 4-5 times per week. I believe there is a need to build good strength in the body to help address muscle imbalances and overall strengthening to run faster. I have tried this in the past lifting 1-2 times per week in the past (primarily lower body squats/deadlifts and variations along with these) but I have always ended up with legs too sore to train the following day (Even at an easy pace). 

I would like to get back into doing this strength training as I feel certainly my running could do some improvement in lower muscles. But I want to understand how people do this with minimal impact to their running (especially the harder sessions). 

With work and family commitments I would like to try fit in short strength sessions in during lunch in work (1-2 30 minute sessions per week). In these I would focus on squats (normal + front squat + perhaps single legged also) + deadlifts (normal + Romanian DL). Also perhaps add some box jumps into these also for some power. 

Any tips on the plans and how I can do this right without impacting my running sessions which are my priority?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

chris85 wrote: »
    Ive been running 5 years and mostly into distance and trail running and average week would aim to do about 30-40 miles a week. I mainly look at doing 1 long run, 1-2 quality sessions (intervals, fartlek, hills, etc) and 1-2 easy runs so usually running 4-5 times per week. I believe there is a need to build good strength in the body to help address muscle imbalances and overall strengthening to run faster. I have tried this in the past lifting 1-2 times per week in the past (primarily lower body squats/deadlifts and variations along with these) but I have always ended up with legs too sore to train the following day (Even at an easy pace). 

I would like to get back into doing this strength training as I feel certainly my running could do some improvement in lower muscles. But I want to understand how people do this with minimal impact to their running (especially the harder sessions). 

With work and family commitments I would like to try fit in short strength sessions in during lunch in work (1-2 30 minute sessions per week). In these I would focus on squats (normal + front squat + perhaps single legged also) + deadlifts (normal + Romanian DL). Also perhaps add some box jumps into these also for some power. 

Any tips on the plans and how I can do this right without impacting my running sessions which are my priority?

Currently in a very similar situation myself.

Aim is to fit 3 strength sessions a week

Monday Post morning run - Strength (Squats, RDL's and Benchpress
    Wednesday Run Session + Core
    Friday Short recovery run + Plyometrics (box jumps etc)
    Saturday Session
    Sunday Long Run

I am feeling legs a little heavy at the moment however Managing to run. I would say need to look at your lifting if you are too sore on a constant basis following day, after initial adaptation you should feel heavy moreso than sore

The other aspect would be nurtition. It could be that with the increased workload you are not taking on enough high nurtient based calories.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Currently in a very similar situation myself.

Aim is to fit 3 strength sessions a week

Monday Post morning run - Strength (Squats, RDL's and Benchpress
    Wednesday Run Session + Core
    Friday Short recovery run + Plyometrics (box jumps etc)
    Saturday Session
    Sunday Long Run

I am feeling legs a little heavy at the moment however Managing to run. I would say need to look at your lifting if you are too sore on a constant basis following day, after initial adaptation you should feel heavy moreso than sore

The other aspect would be nurtition. It could be that with the increased workload you are not taking on enough high nurtient based calories.

Previously perhaps I did not allow myself time to adapt and quit the lifting as it was impacting my running and running is most enjoyable part of the training (although I do quite like lifting also but not as much). 

Another thing is its harder to train to a schedule at the moment (6 week old baby) so I am setting higher level goals for myself (distance per week to include an LSR and at least 1 quality session of intervals/tempo/fartlek/hills) and fitting my runs in around these as I can.  now I am trying to build strength in so I think I need to try ensure only slow recovery runs in the 2 days post lifting to allow my higher priority runs to not be impacted. Would this seem about right do you think?

Nutrition wise I am not perfect but I do try eat smart. Distance running and lifting are opposites in many ways so I am trying to control my food intake to keep weight down for racing but also take enough calories to build muscle and recover from gym sessions. In my head its about what I eat when so taking higher carbs on running days and on gym days making sure I have enough protein before/after.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,109 ✭✭✭✭Pherekydes

Lifting and running is what happens when you cheat at racewalking. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,194 ✭✭✭Conservatory

Squats will boost your acceleration. Focus on form and lifting with left and right side of your body equally. Deadlifts will help with your form and staying up straight when you tire.

Leg days will take a lot from your leg energy and what day you place it will be very important. I’d pretty much stop doing anything strenuous weight wise to close to the time of the year you want to peak at.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,502 ✭✭✭chris85

Squats will boost your acceleration. Focus on form and lifting with left and right side of your body equally. Deadlifts will help with your form and staying up straight when you tire.

Leg days will take a lot from your leg energy and what day you place it will be very important. I’d pretty much stop doing anything strenuous weight wise to close to the time of the year you want to peak at.
    Yes will be treating quite like running with a taper and some down weeks. Main aim this year is to peak for DCM so will be adjusting strength training closer to the race.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Testosterscone

chris85 wrote: »
    Previously perhaps I did not allow myself time to adapt and quit the lifting as it was impacting my running and running is most enjoyable part of the training (although I do quite like lifting also but not as much). 

Another thing is its harder to train to a schedule at the moment (6 week old baby) so I am setting higher level goals for myself (distance per week to include an LSR and at least 1 quality session of intervals/tempo/fartlek/hills) and fitting my runs in around these as I can.  now I am trying to build strength in so I think I need to try ensure only slow recovery runs in the 2 days post lifting to allow my higher priority runs to not be impacted. Would this seem about right do you think?

Nutrition wise I am not perfect but I do try eat smart. Distance running and lifting are opposites in many ways so I am trying to control my food intake to keep weight down for racing but also take enough calories to build muscle and recover from gym sessions. In my head its about what I eat when so taking higher carbs on running days and on gym days making sure I have enough protein before/after.

Sounds like we are in very similar situations (currently training for DCM with an 8 week old myself)

Alot of the research would say most optimal time for strength training would be few hours post workout if possible.

For me I find that I can do on a Monday after a Long run the day before and then Friday Plyometrics as it gives me as long recovery as possible post session.

If running is the focus though make sure that the lifts are complementing the running. Currently I am working on muscular endurance stage as a foundation before going into a strength phase (so 5x8 reps at moderate weight before transitioning to 3x5 more maximal strength based work)

I will aim to add a bit more explosive complex movements at a later stage.

I agree with you strength training should not compromise sessions.

• Registered Users Posts: 425 ✭✭Mulberry

I'm a sprinter (not sure if that makes any difference) and my plan dictates I do my lifting (usually) right after my session, i.e. before I leave the track/club. Not sure if the session affects what I can lift but so far the lifting isn't affecting my subsequent session.

Advertisement