Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

So we aren't going to spilt Dublin

• 24-06-2018 9:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭

Let's assume Dublin is not going to be spilt. As this is the most likely outcome what are the options?

To my mind we've several options that can be spilt into two camps. Championship structure and finance.

Regarding finance you've several options.

Split the money by county. This is entirely unfair as you'll have large population centres getting the same as counties with very few people.

Split the money per capita. This promotes the major strength of the large counties but of course we've to remember the GAA doesn't exist in isolation and if we lose the towns we may eventually lose the country.

Spilt the money by inverse performance weakest counties get the most in order to help them improve. This should be coupled with a requirement to have an actual player development plan that doesn't involve building white elephants.

On the championship the time has come to accept the provinces aren't fit for purposes and more than half the teams aren't at the races.

The provinces should be abolished and a tiered championship like hurling adopted. The likes of Carlow, Wicklow or Limerick are so far away from a provincial championship it's dream land stuff to think that can compete

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,282 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Let's assume Dublin is not going to be spilt. As this is the most likely outcome what are the options?

To my mind we've several options that can be spilt into two camps. Championship structure and finance?

Regarding finance you've several options.

Split the money by county. This is entirely unfair as you'll have large population centres getting the same as counties with very few people.

Split the money per capita.

The money needs to be split based on a few things, population, playing population, adult/underage split of players, numbers of children not playing GAA,number of clubs and a study on if money is better spent on say a club with multiple teams than on small clubs without full age grades and how that split should be handled, then there should be money available for long term plans and money cut for county boards who can’t show that they are doing a good job as money shouldn’t be thrown at counties who can’t get their houses in order. Haven’t a clue how that could be broke down but I think these are areas that should be looked at. I’d imagine I’ve missed a few things too.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Apologies to the two posters above I hit the create thread by mistake before I'd finished writing.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

The likes of Carlow, Wicklow or Limerick are so far away from a provincial championship it's dream land stuff to think that can compete

When were Carlow or Wicklow ever competitive? Limerick were over 100 years ago but didn't even compete at senior for decades.

Carlow and Wicklow have had strong club teams, but just never translated into county. Not sure what you put that down to, but nothing to do with the current hierarchy, which is little different than it ever was.

60 years ago. Galway won Connacht, Dublin won Leinster, Kerry won Munster! Only Derry winning Ulster that year would be unusual six decades later.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,229 ✭✭✭LeinsterDub

Bonniedog wrote: »
    When were Carlow or Wicklow ever competitive? Limerick were over 100 years ago but didn't even compete at senior for decades.

Carlow and Wicklow have had strong club teams, but just never translated into county. Not sure what you put that down to, but nothing to do with the current hierarchy, which is little different than it ever was.

60 years ago. Galway won Connacht, Dublin won Leinster, Kerry won Munster! Only Derry winning Ulster that year would be unusual six decades later.

I agree these counties were never competitive. So how long do we go on pretending this is the year David will slay numerous Goliath's and walk up the step of the Hogan stand at the end of August? We need to tier the championship for everyone's benefit

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

• Advertisement
This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement