Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

So who's going to see the Pope?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,223 ✭✭✭✭endacl

I’d go for a big bag of cans in the Feener with Frank. I’d say he’d be a bit o’craic

• Registered Users Posts: 40,102 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

wexie wrote: »
    Isn't it odd how so many people can't seem to make that distinction?

It almost has to be deliberate.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Not going to see him although I might see him from work. He's popping by somewhere close.

I have to say though, I like this pope. I might disagree with him on stuff and I might hate a lot of the stuff the church has done in the past but he seems like a nice guy. He doesn't seem too judgy (most of the time. I'm not including the stuff he said in Chile). Benedict seemed like a complete prick.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭abff

Ok for some reason Stephen Fry on God via Youtube isn't embedding for me.

But here's my feelings on a God, and covers my belief in all the something like 3,500 Gods out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-suvkwNYSQo&t=8s

I don't see how anyone could argue with what Stephen Fry said there. As a challenge, is anyone able to come up with a sensible rebuttal? One that doesn't involve either shooting the messenger or falling back on the old "God moves in mysterious ways and how can we poor mortals hope to understand him" argument.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller

Dunno.

I was chatting to a young lad in work recently who said he was going to Krakow, Poland.. Now I fvcking LOVE Krakow so got to telling him what a lovely place it is, the people are great, cheap beers, Auschwitz etc

Then he tells me he's been there before, with the Catholic Youth Council ~ I nearly lost my sh*t. I actually thought he was messing.

A few tours of duty to places where Muslims, Jews and Christians are slaughtering each other in equal measure and all in the name of their own particular God and he might learn.. (we're soldiers btw).

What the hell are you on about?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 29,294 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

kuntboy wrote: »
    How disrespectful to those of the Catholic faith. Would you be so to those of other certain faiths, I wonder. You wouldn't dare. How cowardly.

Mods please ban this bigot.
    How bigoted.

Are you going your self?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

What the hell are you on about?

I don't believe in hell either.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 232 ✭✭Benjamin Buttons

Spare me.....yet another opportunity for the Pope's cheerleaders in the Iona Institute to take their bigoted views for a walk courtesy of the national broadcaster.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

The only God you need is Crom.

He maybe a grim and gloomy god, ever watching from atop his mountain in dark clouds and obscuring mists. But he approves courage and tenacity. Even if you are too weak to succeed. His sole gift to humanity is the courage to go on, survive, and vanquish adversity.

What more can you want from a God?

Remember that when you die and go before him. You must answer:

What is the riddle of steel?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,106 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

How disrespectful to those of the Catholic faith. Would you be so to those of other certain faiths, I wonder. You wouldn't dare. How cowardly.

You have very low standards. Saying lol no isn't bigoted.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

I'm more interested in the financial aspect to this.

How much is the government paying out to facilitate this? Into the millions no doubt.
    Will the money people are charged for tickets be used to re-reimburse the state coffers? I doubt it.
    It would be more palatable and 'christian' I guess if the face value of the ticket would be donated to local charities.
    I'm indifferent so maybe that will be the case, if so, then Francis touring would be a positive thing.

If not then it's just a money maker. I'd be wondering where the money flows from these tours.
    Just another religion where it's core tenet is money making with the false front of love, compassion where calling it out and constructively criticizing it's practices triggers accusations of being edgy, cool or whatever deflective insults are in vogue.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 693 ✭✭✭The Satanist

No.

Ok for some reason Stephen Fry on God via Youtube isn't embedding for me.

But here's my feelings on a God, and covers my belief in all the something like 3,500 Gods out there.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-suvkwNYSQo&t=8s

I thought Frys closing comments in that interview were epic! what was even funnier was the attempt to charge him for Blasphony, what did they expect bringing a known Athiest on a religious programe.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,846 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

abff wrote: »
    I don't see how anyone could argue with what Stephen Fry said there. As a challenge, is anyone able to come up with a sensible rebuttal? One that doesn't involve either shooting the messenger or falling back on the old "God moves in mysterious ways and how can we poor mortals hope to understand him" argument.

One thing I have never really gotten about this praying lark is that when something good happens, it's thanks god and "I prayed that would happen, he listened" stuff, and when something bad happens "it's god's test". Do people really believe that there is a god out there who micromanages lives and decides to occasionally intervene and make Mary pass her leaving cert, or John recover from a heart attack?

Whatever about believing in eternal salvation and an afterlife and so on, that's one thing and is pure faith in something. I can respect that (even if I can't understand it). Thinking though that any sort of prayer for action on something can or would have any sort of influence or something though is the epitome of wishful thinking and just ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,102 ✭✭✭✭ohnonotgmail

valoren wrote: »
    I'm more interested in the financial aspect to this.

How much is the government paying out to facilitate this? Into the millions no doubt.
    Will the money people are charged for tickets be used to re-reimburse the state coffers? I doubt it.
    It would be more palatable and 'christian' I guess if the face value of the ticket would be donated to local charities.
    I'm indifferent so maybe that will be the case, if so, then Francis touring would be a positive thing.

If not then it's just a money maker. I'd be wondering where the money flows from these tours.
    Just another religion where it's core tenet is money making with the false front of love, compassion where calling it out and constructively criticizing it's practices triggers accusations of being edgy, cool or whatever deflective insults are in vogue.

The tickets are free but you can make a donation if you so wish. to cover expenses. What expenses it does not say. Certainly not the governments expenses.

• Subscribers Posts: 32,846 ✭✭✭✭5starpool

Mint Sauce wrote: »
    I thought Frys closing comments in that interview were epic! what was even funnier was the attempt to charge him for Blasphony, what did they expect bringing a known Athiest on a religious programe.

Who attempted to charge him for blasphemy? Someone on social media saying someone should be charged isn't anyone trying to charge him. I assume only the guards (and maybe some other authorities, I don't know) can charge anyone.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24,878 ✭✭✭✭arybvtcw0eolkf

Grayson wrote: »
    You have very low standards. Saying lol no isn't bigoted.

Ah, he's on a wind up. I wasn't taking him serious at all.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,697 ✭✭✭DickSwiveller

5starpool wrote: »
    One thing I have never really gotten about this praying lark is that when something good happens, it's thanks god and "I prayed that would happen, he listened" stuff, and when something bad happens "it's god's test". Do people really believe that there is a god out there who micromanages lives and decides to occasionally intervene and make Mary pass her leaving cert, or John recover from a heart attack?

Whatever about believing in eternal salvation and an afterlife and so on, that's one thing and is pure faith in something. I can respect that (even if I can't understand it). Thinking though that any sort of prayer for action on something can or would have any sort of influence or something though is the epitome of wishful thinking and just ridiculous.

Why don't the trendy atheists understand that some people need the idea of God to help them in life? Instead of constantly sneering at them, why not respect that. I don't believe in God but I can't join the new atheist mob. For example, I wouldn't have the arrogance to sneer at a mother who prays every night that she will see her dead child in another life. Or I wouldn't scoff at the local prayer group who visit the sick and elderly every evening. Unfortunately I just don't possess that level of arrogance.

• Registered Users Posts: 33,834 ✭✭✭✭Hotblack Desiato

Ah yes, the old "let's silence any dissent" catholic reflex is still there... I take it you would have been grand with banning books and denying talented authors a living?

The RCC isn't great at showing respect to anyone. It doesn't even respect its own followers, treats them like eejits, tells them what to think, fills them with guilt and shame and bilks them for cash, all based on a promise it can never fulfil. Talk about the poor while their HQ is a gilded palace. Etc.

Life ain't always empty.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,713 ✭✭✭abff

Thinking though that any sort of prayer for action on something can or would have any sort of influence or something though is the epitome of wishful thinking and just ridiculous.

I agree that it's completely illogical. It's similar to the thinking that arises when you're watching a match and your team are winning and you make some comment along the lines of "I can't see us losing this one now". And then everyone blames you for jinxing it when your team loses.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,893 ✭✭✭Canis Lupus

Dunno.

I was chatting to a young lad in work recently who said he was going to Krakow, Poland.. Now I fvcking LOVE Krakow so got to telling him what a lovely place it is, the people are great, cheap beers, Auschwitz etc

Then he tells me he's been there before, with the Catholic Youth Council ~ I nearly lost my sh*t. I actually thought he was messing.

A few tours of duty to places where Muslims, Jews and Christians are slaughtering each other in equal measure and all in the name of their own particular God and he might learn.. (we're soldiers btw).

I take hope that in every census atheism is shown to be on the rise and christianity taking a plunge. Change happens slowly I guess but if you jumped back 50 years and told someone what Ireland today would be like they'd laugh you out of the place and say a decade of the rosary for you.

Belief aside though it appalls me watching people getting a hard on for the head of the organisation that has done such terrible terrible things to Ireland and many other countries. It's pretty pathetic if you ask me to welcome the him with open arms.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,570 ✭✭✭Ulysses Gaze

Why the God of the Abrahamic faiths anyway? Why not worship the Greek deities?

They pre-exist the Abrahamic gods by a couple of thousand years.
    We have many tomes that extol their divine intervention.
    And how about the Gods of India?

Religion as George Carlin would say "Pure Bull****"

Who attempted to charge him for blasphemy? Someone on social media saying someone should be charged isn't anyone trying to charge him. I assume only the guards (and maybe some other authorities, I don't know) can charge anyone.

Maybe I picked it up wrong, but there were certainly comments that he should have been charged, how seriously they were taken, or acted on, I dont know.

Either way, it would have been absurd if they were.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,690 ✭✭✭✭Skylinehead

No. And watch the personal abuse please.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,067 ✭✭✭MarkY91

I'm not going as I'm an atheist and generally couldn't give a ****e. But I got tickets for my ma and my girlfriend who said for months they want to go.

Ah, he's on a wind up. I wasn't taking him serious at all.

I think he is just doing that thing, we are not allowed to accuse people of on here.

:D

Whilst some posters may not agree, the same as many dont appear to agree with me, at least you are producing an arguement. He's not.

MarkY91 wrote: »
    I'm not going as I'm an atheist and generally couldn't give a ****e. But I got tickets for my ma and my girlfriend who said for months they want to go.

Are names and emails on the tickets? Hope you put one of theirs on them.

;)

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 12,909 Mod ✭✭✭✭iguana

I'll be going to protest the fuçking motherfuçker.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,320 ✭✭✭✭super_furry

Keep foreign deities and their spokesmen out of Ireland.

An Dagda 2018.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 5,458 ✭✭✭valoren

On micro managing.

A neighbor of ours died at a young age. He was 40. We went to the Funeral and I hadn't been to mass for years. The priest in his homily(?) was telling the crowd that; The choirs of heaven are singing today, welcoming our dear Jim, into their arms.

It was stated with such conviction that this actually happened. I spent the rest of the mass thinking about this choir.

Is there just one choir?
    Do you have to audition?
    Is heaven littered with auditonees who failed and are disgruntled?
    Is there a schedule every day considering someone dies every few seconds?
    etc etc etc

Imagine me asking the Priest such questions. He'd look at you like you were insane. If you pushed for an answer you'd be deemed a trouble maker but you'd simply be wanting to understand why he would say something with such conviction. Pushed further he'd have said it was to comfort the grieving family. Say that this was a false comfort and it is insulting to lie to them then you become a source of trouble.

In the past you never asked questions. Before people used some common sense and realized the whole thing is nonsense then the deflective accusation would have been that it was the devil who was tempting you and your faith. Essentially, by virtue of asking questions it was implied you were in league with the 'Devil' who was trying to tempt you away from salvation. In effect, this 'devil' was just a ruse to prevent people from engaging their brains and scare them away from asking probing questions or from looking for some kind of explanation.

Advertisement