Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Christmas Plans/Preparations 2018

• 20-06-2018 9:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭

My summer holidays have come and gone so now I'm full steam ahead planning for Christmas! Need to be super organised this year as we have THREE weddings in December alone :eek:

So to kick it off, I've booked my oven clean for December already & I've reviewed my present list with some new ideas/additions. Payday is next week & I plan on ticking a few presents off the list. :D

Anyone else starting planning yet?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,737 ✭✭✭Glitzgirl

CheerLouth wrote: »
    My summer holidays have come and gone so now I'm full steam ahead planning for Christmas! Need to be super organised this year as we have THREE weddings in December alone :eek:

So to kick it off, I've booked my oven clean for December already & I've reviewed my present list with some new ideas/additions. Payday is next week & I plan on ticking a few presents off the list. :D

Anyone else starting planning yet?

Hi cheer! Long time no chat :)
    I was just saying I'm so disorganised this year I need to light a fire under me and get moving.
    I did go online and order some more personalised return address stickers ( for our Christmas cards) from Vista. They usually have offers if you are planning on ordering personalised calaneders mugs or cards etc !
    I think it's time to burst out the Christmas folder and see how far behind I am :o

• Registered Users Posts: 10,106 ✭✭✭✭DvB

We usually wait until the kids go back to school before starting planning in earnest. However myself & the OH got the same train home from work yesterday & spent the whole journey discussing christmas 2018. Methinks once we get back from our holidays (Roll on June 30th!!!) we'll start looking at kicking it off a little earlier...

I think the people around us on the train thought we were mad!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Jude13

Ive just been researching places for a Christmas Eve or day brunch and then comparing to an day in the house.

This Christmas folder Glitz, is it an actual folder or a folder on your computer?

Jude13 wrote: »
    Ive just been researching places for a Christmas Eve or day brunch and then comparing to an day in the house.

This Christmas folder Glitz, is it an actual folder or a folder on your computer?

I think I seen amber springs are open this year for a Christmas package including Christmas day and eve for families looking for a break! I'd say it's an idea that will take off quickly here.

Oh no I'm old school it's a hard back folder (optimistically hoping I can pass it on to our kids as they get older and have their own families ) . I do have a present app on my phone do so i can keep an eye on what I buy and for whom during the year !
    I love my Christmas folder :Pac :D

• Registered Users Posts: 8,512 ✭✭✭baby and crumble

I floated the idea of not cooking a full christmas dinner for the in-laws earlier this week... it did not go well. :pac:

I was hoping I could do a big casserole or something, something really lovely but just easier to cook and serve in our particular situation (up to 9 people including people with disabilities and their care staff in our TINY kitchen) but it doesn't look like a runner. Already had to nix the idea of going out to a restaurant as most places are charging the guts of €80 per head for a basic dinner, and with 9 people... yeah. Not gonna happen!

I'd actually love to do something on Christmas Eve with them this year and go over to my family in Clare as there's a new arrival this year for Christmas Day... I live in hope. :P

• Advertisement

I floated the idea of not cooking a full christmas dinner for the in-laws earlier this week... it did not go well. :pac:

I'd actually love to do something on Christmas Eve with them this year and go over to my family in Clare as there's a new arrival this year for Christmas Day... I live in hope. :P

You could try Musgrave or wholesales I know Musgrave do the hotel style turkey ,stuffing ,ham pre sliced portions you'd get for dinner. Be easier than cooking a whole turkey and ham and you'd only have to worry about the sides. Aldi have a buffet style food warmer /server I couldn't be without for large dinners. If your stuck hosting you may aswell make it as easy on yourself as possible!

I have to say I love Christmas Eve ,take out for dinner ( everyone can pick what they want from anywhere they want) and I get a night off before a hectic day of cooking:)

Glitzgirl wrote: »
    You could try Musgrave or wholesales I know Musgrave do the hotel style turkey ,stuffing ,ham pre sliced portions you'd get for dinner. Be easier than cooking a whole turkey and ham and you'd only have to worry about the sides. )

Ah the turkey and ham are no bother, we do the ham in the slow cooker on Christmas Eve and the turkey is easy enough. It's the bloody sides that are the problem.

One person only eats roast potatoes, no mash.
    Someone else doesnt want carrots
    Someone else HAS TO HAVE red cabbage
    Someone else thinks it's not Christmas unless you have carrot & parsnip mash
    Someone else freaks out if you mention sprouts, I bloody LOVE them.

Ah well. the joys!

Ah the turkey and ham are no bother, we do the ham in the slow cooker on Christmas Eve and the turkey is easy enough. It's the bloody sides that are the problem.

Ah well. the joys!

Omg I can feel the stress of that already ! :) good luck with the plans and sides!

Ah well. the joys!

Your house. Your menu. They can take it or leave it! I never bother with ham. Nor starter. So it’s turkey, stuffing, roast and mashed spuds, no soak marrowfat peas, frozen peas, fried sprouts. I put turkey, stuffing and roast spud on plate and they help themselves to other veg. Dessert is always trifle. I never serve alcohol. Club orange or 7Up.

As for other Christmas stuff, I’ve bought stocking fillers for kids and other half only already, mostly in after Christmas sales. I gave up on the extended family gifts when the Celtic Tiger got ill.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,380 ✭✭✭chuckles30

I agree with Maryanne - your house, your menu.  You cook the veg you want and the kind of spuds you want!

• Advertisement

It's not quite that simple, over half the family have disabilities and/or autism so changes out of routine etc and those kind of rules just don't work well.

It's not just that folks would be a bit annoyed, it genuinely could aggravate some members of the family into a bad few days, routine and tradition are really important. My little bit of a moan about it is much more manageable and less of an issue than making sure my wifes family are happy. I was just hoping we could reign it in a little, that's all! :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭ciara007

It's not quite that simple, over half the family have disabilities and/or autism so changes out of routine etc and those kind of rules just don't work well.

It's not just that folks would be a bit annoyed, it genuinely could aggravate some members of the family into a bad few days, routine and tradition are really important. My little bit of a moan about it is much more manageable and less of an issue than making sure my wifes family are happy. I was just hoping we could reign it in a little, that's all! :pac:

Totally get it. I'm super lazy I buy mash and sides in supervalue and just heat them up and hide the packets and pretend that I made it all. Supervalue to a red cabbage that you can heat up and mash could save you a job x

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

Oh that's a tough one, Baby&c! A lot of work on you! Hope you will get a few days to relax either side of Christmas!

I normally cook for ourselves (4) plus my parents & brother. It's grand cos everyone eats everything & I don't give them a choice lol!

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭ciara007

Officially got the main santa gift today. I have been putting in loads of overtime lately so I said I would cross it off the list. I got her the little tikes pink coupe and ordered a little personalised reg plate to go one back. I ordered her a minnie mouse track suit in the disney store last week on sale and also have a tent in for her. So she is pretty much done just one or two little bits to go with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,794 ✭✭✭Jude13

Glitzgirl wrote: »
    I think I seen amber springs are open this year for a Christmas package including Christmas day and eve for families looking for a break! I'd say it's an idea that will take off quickly here.

Oh no I'm old school it's a hard back folder (optimistically hoping I can pass it on to our kids as they get older and have their own families ) . I do have a present app on my phone do so i can keep an eye on what I buy and for whom during the year !
    I love my Christmas folder :Pac :D

My brother loves bringing his kids to Amber Springs and our family have house not a million miles away. I will be looking at hotels here at 'home' in the sand box.

You've inspired me to go a pinterest christmas idea's folder. I don't think I will share it with the OH until September.

In my family's home I am the annoying one with food as I can't have wheat.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,415 ✭✭✭CheerLouth

I've started the Santy/Birthday shop for my LO - someone on FB selling off some Sylvanian Family stuff in great nick! She'll not notice that it's been pre-played with.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,106 ✭✭✭✭DvB

Despite not even having gone on holidays yet our two told us over the weekend what they want from Santa... new bikes! Explained if they get a big pressie such as abike there's not going to be a load of extra little ones & they said that was okay!... suits us, 1 trip to Halfords or suchlike & we'll be sorted, hiding them from the kids however will be the tricky part, I suspect nanny & Grandad may have to help on that front!
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

DvB wrote: »
    Despite not even having gone on holidays yet our two told us over the weekend what they want from Santa... new bikes! Explained if they get a big pressie such as abike there's not going to be a load of extra little ones & they said that was okay!... suits us, 1 trip to Halfords or suchlike & we'll be sorted, hiding them from the kids however will be the tricky part, I suspect nanny & Grandad may have to help on that front!

Depending on their ages, it might be worth checking out Done Deal for bikes. Make sure that you go to the family home if you decide to go down that route.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 155 ✭✭Jennehy

Cut down Xmas tree today, spotted one while walking through forestry earlier.
    Plant food and water in big bucket and tree dipped in it.
    It feels like Christmas.

Well I am ready to go ! I have my prep list ready at least :) have a lot of shopping this year to do ( need to get a nursery sorted and start Christmas shopping) and be ready for Christmas early as Mr glitz may be going overseas this year... I need to get a move on. Thank God for online shopping :pac:

• Advertisement
Advertisement