Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Ire vs Aus - Test Number Three

• 21-06-2018 4:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,469 ✭✭✭

Rob, Keith, Robbie, Bundee, Jacob, Johnny, Conor
    Jack, Sean, Tadgh, Devin, James, CJ, Peter, Jack

Niall, Cian, John, Tadgh, Jordi, Kieran, Ross, Jordan

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 676 ✭✭✭turnikett1

So bizarre seeing PoM at openside. Still, think it's a good team nonetheless and could still win it. My main concern is Henshaw at 13, he did not have a good outing in Test 1.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,906 ✭✭✭✭whatawaster

Ringrose is a massive loss, as is Leavy

Still think we have enough to win. Would be good to see Byrne getting 15 minutes but I'd fear he will come on with 90 seconds to go. Understandable in the circumstances.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

[font=Georgia, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif]Ireland:[/font]
    [font=Georgia, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif]15. Rob Kearney
    14. Keith Earls
    13. Robbie Henshaw
    12. Bundee Aki
    11. Jacob Stockdale
    10. Johnny Sexton
    9. Conor Murray[/font]

[font=Georgia, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif]1. Jack McGrath
    2. Sean Cronin
    3. Tadhg Furlong
    4. Devin Toner
    5. James Ryan
    6. CJ Stander
    7. Peter O’Mahony (captain)
    8. Jack Conan[/font]

[font=Georgia, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif][font=Georgia, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif]Replacements:[/font][/font]
    [font=Georgia, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif]16. Niall Scannell
    17. Cian Healy
    18. John Ryan
    19. Tadhg Beirne
    20. Jordi Murphy
    21. Kieran Marmion
    22. Ross Byrne
    23. Jordan Larmour[/font]
    [font=Georgia, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif]Australia:[/font]
    [font=Georgia, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif]15. Israel Folau
    14. Dane Haylett-Petty
    13. Samu Kerevi
    12. Kurtley Beale
    11. Marika Koroibete
    10. Bernard Foley
    9. Nick Phipps[/font]

[font=Georgia, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif]1. Scott Sio
    2. Brandon Paenga-Amosa
    3. Sekope Kepu
    4. Izack Rodda
    5. Adam Coleman
    6. Lukhan Tui
    7. Michael Hooper (captain)
    8. David Pocock[/font]

[font=Georgia, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif][font=Georgia, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif]Replacements:[/font][/font]
    [font=Georgia, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif]16. Tolu Latu
    17. Allan Alaalatoa
    18. Taniela Tupou
    19. Rob Simmons
    20. Ned Hanigan
    21. Pete Samu
    22. Joe Powell
    23. Reece Hodge[/font]

[font=Georgia, Arial, Verdana, sans-serif]Huge fan of POM but seeing him at 7 ahead of someone like Murphy is strange. [/font]

• Closed Accounts Posts: 603 ✭✭✭umop episdn

I'm not sure why to think... Cronin back, POM at 7, Conan starting, Henshaw at 13.
    I'm going into Saturday in hope more than confidence

• Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 26,399 Mod ✭✭✭✭Peregrine

No Ringrose, Robbie back at 13, Byrne, no Henderson, POM at 7. I didn't expect that. Hmm.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 16,973 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Good idea giving POM a run at 7. After our first choice 7, and the other 7, there's only three 7s left!

• Registered Users Posts: 16,973 ✭✭✭✭Neil3030

Are Hendy and Ringer injured? Rest of the team is fairly as you would.

Neil3030 wrote: »
    Are Hendy and Ringer injured? Rest of the team is fairly as you would.

Yeah, both injured as is Conway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,366 ✭✭✭yerrahbah

Ringrose, Leavy and Conway ruled out with injury

• Hosted Moderators Posts: 7,922 ✭✭✭fitz

Delighted for Conan, and no doubt POM will
    do well at 7. Hopefully Henshaw has shaken off the rustiness of the first test.

• Advertisement

Hope Ross Byrne gets a cap after his season (and it's a winning one!)

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

As stated above, Ringrose is a massive loss.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,105 ✭✭✭✭Burkie1203

Like the team apart from Ringrose being out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,738 ✭✭✭Heres Johnny

POM will do well at 7
    Aussies hate POMs no matter what number they wear

As stated above, Ringrose is a massive loss.

He is but we're still incredibly lucky to have players the quality of Aki and Henshaw able to step right in.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,978 ✭✭✭✭irishbucsfan

Schmidt seems to like to use everyone in the squad so that would leave the following to make an appearance:

Ross Byrne (UCD/Leinster) *
    Andrew Conway (Garryowen/Munster) 6
    John Cooney (Terenure College/Ulster) 1
    Garry Ringrose (UCD/Leinster) 13

Tadhg Beirne (Scarlets) *
    Dan Leavy (UCD/Leinster) 9
    Andrew Porter (UCD/Leinster) 7
    Devin Toner (Lansdowne/Leinster) 58
    Niall Scannell

I think of these lads, only Ross Byrne would really be a surprise, the rest would all fit onto the bench or even the starting XV pretty seemlessly imo. Which is quite the statement with regards to how far the squad has come.

In the end, all got their game.

Fairly common occurrence with Schmidt.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Ringrose completes his undefeated season.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,846 ✭✭✭DellyBelly

I'm not sure on Cronin starting. Yes he needs game time but for me he's more an impact player coming off the bench. I don't rate him as a top class hooker but hopefully he has a good game.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,553 ✭✭✭clsmooth

errlloyd wrote: »
    Ringrose completes his undefeated season.

Did Leavy go undefeated too?

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 25,207 Mod ✭✭✭✭Podge_irl

Don't really understand the backrow selections - would have thought moving CJ to the bench and starting Murphy at 7 would make more sense.

Ringrose by far the biggest loss I feel. Massively less confident without him in the side.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 21,605 ✭✭✭✭Squidgy Black

Podge_irl wrote: »
    Don't really understand the backrow selections - would have thought moving CJ to the bench and starting Murphy at 7 would make more sense.

Ringrose by far the biggest loss I feel. Massively less confident without him in the side.

POM had an absolute stormer last week in terms of turnovers, and Stander does the hard dirty carries that Joe loves. Conan brings the ball playing element that we've been missing from the backrow.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,647 ✭✭✭elefant

clsmooth wrote: »
    Did Leavy go undefeated too?

I see he played in a loss to Glasgow in November. Disappointing season.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,598 ✭✭✭✭errlloyd

Podge_irl wrote: »

The backrow lacks balance alright. Would have started Beirne in the row to try and help in that regard. Still once you've broken 3 opensides I guess it's always gonna be tough.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,745 ✭✭✭✭molloyjh

Our current injury list going into this Test:

Best, Henderson, SOB, VDF, Leavy, Ringrose, Farrell, Conway.

We’re also missing Luke McGrath, Rhys Ruddock and Ferg McFaddden due to injuries and/or lack of fitness.

Every one of those 11 players could feasibly be in a match day 23 for us. And yet we’re still able to field that squad. We’re not quite there yet in a few positions, but there’s no question that our depth has improved substantially since 2015. I wouldn’t be too confident about our chances for Saturday, but we shouldn’t be far off by any means.

• Subscribers Posts: 40,953 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Australia still available at +4 after the team announcements and I expect that to drop by 2 points by kick off.

Im surprised Coleman is still there, the cheek injury mustn't have been a bad as they thought. Oz are really going to target our line out this time, with tui in the back row as third jumper and hanigan on the bench. A 6/2 split for the third week by cheiks. If we can get phipps under pressure he will crack.... And cheika will be very slow to bring powell off the bench.

That Ireland midfield are getting a chance to redeem itself are the first test, hopefully they are up for it, and they get that extra bit of marshaling from Sexton inside. they will target Sexton of course, knowing we have a greenhorn replacement on the bench.

I think aus might just sneak this.
    But I expect a cracking tough game.

Reckon the flood gates are going to open on Saturday and we'll properly click. Ireland by 10 or more.

Venjur wrote: »
    Reckon the flood gates are going to open on Saturday and we'll properly click. Ireland by 10 or more.

Bit early to be drinking isn't it?

• Registered Users Posts: 17,073 ✭✭✭✭vienne86

Surprising back row there - I'm astonished Murphy isn't starting. Pity about the injuries, but still a very good team. This could go either way on Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,174 ✭✭✭✭Buer

Happy with the team given the injuries. I'm not nearly as concerned as others by the back row. It is as balanced as other weeks. We've just come to overlook the fact that Stander is more of a 6. For me, he's playing where he's most effective now. We'll possibly lose a little bit of impact at the breakdown given Conan isn't prominent there but he's a far more dynamic carrier in the loose. No issue with POM at 7. He has played there in the past including in green.

With Ringrose out, I think we might see Aki double up as a flanker at times and really focus on rucks in defence too.

Interesting bench calls. Ryan is ahead of Porter at this point, for me. Beirne on the bench again which confirms in my mind that he's not threatening a starting place, any time soon. Murphy is a loser here. He's has enjoyed plenty of game time on tour but certainly would have fancied a spot with Leavy ruled out. It underlines just how important Stander is to the plan, I reckon.

Most intriguing is Ross Byrne, probably. I definitely thought he'd be going home without a spot in the 23. This is a big game to introduce him into. He'll probably get 5-10 minutes at most but if Sexton is injured, it's going to make things very interesting.

• Advertisement

Bit early to be drinking isn't it?

You can't spell coffee without whiskey!

Advertisement