Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Walkinstown, any advice?

Options
  • 18-06-2018 2:30pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 28

My sister is looking to buy in Walkinstown, she has four young kids, and is currently living in Firhouse and not familiar with the area. Can anyone recommend particular areas in Walkinstown, she is currently looking at houses in Cherryfield, and Download Road/walkinstown avenue? Any advice.
    Thanks
    Post edited by L1011 on

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭dk1982

TK1 wrote: »
    My sister is looking to buy in Walkinstown, she has four young kids, and is currently living in Firhouse and not familiar with the area. Can anyone recommend particular areas in Walkinstown, she is currently looking at houses in Cherryfield, and Download Road/walkinstown avenue? Any advice.
    Thanks

Walkinstown a great area to live. I was there for 7 years until recently and loved it. Safe and a friendly with great access to town, m50 etc. Cherryfield very nice, walkinstown avenue wouldnt be my favourite in the area. anywhere from thomas moore road up towards the streets around the library (john mccormack Ave, balfe ave, esposito road etc) is bang on. Very quiet and near Bunting park. Couldnt recommend Walkinstown enough.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Catlady76

TK1 wrote: »
    Thanks

Walkinstown in general is a nice area, Dowland Road & Cherryfield are good roads. I would however stay clear of Walkinstown Ave, its a very busy road & for me it to near D.10. The houses are really well built, you have good sized gardens, alot of the house need work but you are very close to town with good bus routes and plenty of options to get into town. You cant go wrong buying in Walkinstown really, good schools, the pubs are okay if you are into that and you have Supervalu for shopping or Lidl & Aldi very nearby.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

Ah the old manor, I'd move back in a heartbeat but MrsTeal doesn't fancy it - possibly because the mother would have her driven demented. As above, the Avenue end is a bit rougher but I'd know plenty of good people around there, as always it's just let down by the minority.

It's location is excellent. Close to town (I've walked it back in the pre-dereg taxi days), close to the M50 with a choice of entry points and at the start of the Naas Road for getting down the sticks. There must be close to 10 bus routes too. A good choice of pubs; the Halfway being my preference. Lots of soccer and GAA clubs around, the full range of supermarkets (lidl, aldi, dunnes, superquinn). It's walking distance to Richmond Park for some Friday night soccer.

Anything South/East of Walkinstown Road would be my preferred choice.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 TK1

Thanks everyone for the advice, ill pass it on :)

• Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭scarlet_mandy

Grew up just off Peter's Road and it's a great area. Loads of schools and shops around. You have the Ashleaf Shopping Centre and as everyone said there's great links to city. Tymon Park isn't that far away and there's some nice small parks around (Cherryfield and also beside Greenhills College). Have friends living in Cromwellsfort Road and Conleths Road, both very nice areas. Cromwellsfort is a bit too main road for me but that's about the only downside, houses are big and roomy there. As others said the areas around the library are very quiet and settled, used to walk through there every day for work. Would have stayed there but couldn't afford it at the time!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9 ngoc

Hi sorry to bring this topic up again. We are looking to buy a house on Walkinstown Green, facing the green behind the church. Would love to here all the opinions about the place. Would the green attract a lots of kids/teenagers/gangs around and messing?
    It’s also semi-d and next to the side lane (number 8a to be specific). I talked SA and he said at the end of the side lane (back of out house 10 mins away) there are few social houses. Is it something we should be worrying?
    Thanks for any input!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,881 ✭✭✭terrydel

John's chipper is great.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,711 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

ngoc wrote: »
    Hi sorry to bring this topic up again. We are looking to buy a house on Walkinstown Green, facing the green behind the church. Would love to here all the opinions about the place. Would the green attract a lots of kids/teenagers/gangs around and messing?
    It’s also semi-d and next to the side lane (number 8a to be specific). I talked SA and he said at the end of the side lane (back of out house 10 mins away) there are few social houses. Is it something we should be worrying?
    Thanks for any input!

I was looking in Walkinstown... Would have loved to find a place that was within budget and criterea... My dad grew up there and my grandparents lived there until they passed away. I've always liked the place, it seems very mature now and has lots of good amenities... Don't know about gangs or roughness, but it certainly more mature and refined than some of the surrounding areas. As desirable as it is now, I'd bet that it'll only get more desirable in the future.

I had signed contracts on a place in Perrystown just down the road, was very excited, but eventually it wasn't to be... I was very dissapointed, still am.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,593 ✭✭✭theteal

ngoc wrote: »
    Thanks for any input!

I've been gone a decade but some of my close friends still live around the Drive and the Parade and I would have been quite familiar with the that area back then. That green has been tidied up a lot since back then. The halloween bonfire used to be right where the playground is now so it was never really the best vista in those days. As far as I'm aware, it's all fine now, one or two dodgy households around surrounding roads but nothing I'd be concerned about tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 16 Captain cabbage

If you dont mind dog poo every second step. Locals have no issue leaving it. Everywhere.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 67,650 Mod ✭✭✭✭L1011

Don't bounce old threads for pointless comments.

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement