Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Endurance Racing 2023+

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

• Registered Users Posts: 28,808 ✭✭✭✭Quazzie

Anyone excited for LM24hr at the weekend?

Surprised to not see a thread in here dedicated to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

don't think there has ever been a dedicated thread we tend to just use the endurance racing one, but yeah cant wait!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,252 ✭✭✭Sterling Archer

I can't wait.. although I won't get to see the full race this year sadly, missing 5pm-1am then missing everything after 10am :(

• Registered Users Posts: 721 ✭✭✭tigerboon

Quazzie wrote: »
    Anyone excited for LM24hr at the weekend?

Surprised to not see a thread in here dedicated to it.
    Hard to be excited at the moment. It's Toyota and then the rest. Hopefully a few gremlins will get them and close things up with the rest of LMP1. They don't have to race flat out however, so engines should last. I'm hoping for the Rebellion of Lotterer, Jani and Senna. Good team and Lotterer knows how to win at Le mans
     LMP2 will be a good battle

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,409 ✭✭✭Harika

tigerboon wrote: »
    Hard to be excited at the moment. It's Toyota and then the rest. Hopefully a few gremlins will get them and close things up with the rest of LMP1. They don't have to race flat out however, so engines should last. I'm hoping for the Rebellion of Lotterer, Jani and Senna. Good team and Lotterer knows how to win at Le mans

Toyota was set for a 100% win, several times already. Even two laps before the race ends you cannot be sure with them. And a race car is designed to run at 100% not 90%, what might even damage it, as seen some years ago when the unexpected stoppage in the pitlane killed the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,391 ✭✭✭Trampas

Le Mans I’ve no interest this year. Crazy rules I’ve been reading that non hybrid cars I.e. non Toyota can’t lap faster than them. Drive through penalty if they do. Hybrid have a minimum pit stop five seconds shorter.

Whatever happened to pure build fastest car instead of manufacturing racing

• Registered Users Posts: 4,409 ✭✭✭Harika

Trampas wrote: »
    Le Mans I’ve no interest this year. Crazy rules I’ve been reading that non hybrid cars I.e. non Toyota can’t lap faster than them. Drive through penalty if they do. Hybrid have a minimum pit stop five seconds shorter.

Whatever happened to pure build fastest car instead of manufacturing racing

The rules are there to level the playing field if the non hybrid cars were misleading the rule makers, Toyota is rewarded for sticking in and staying with the hybrid technologies. Overall they look faster, need less pit stops so should be an easy win, if they finish and don't run into technical gremlins.
    Always sticky when several technologies are competing in one class.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Trampas wrote: »
    Crazy rules I’ve been reading that non hybrid cars I.e. non Toyota can’t lap faster than them. Drive through penalty if they do.

This is only the case if the non-H cars were sandbagging in the test etc. They won't be punished for doing some laps faster than the H cars.

• Registered Users Posts: 155 ✭✭Deadwards.com

LIGHTNING wrote: »
    Our very own moderator here is racing in the Road to LeMans at the moment. Think he will be on track later tonight.

Would that be Dan by any chance? Did his qualifying in LMP3 earlier today

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭irishrover99

If Toyota don't win this year, i can see big problems for LMP1 in the future, with respect to big manufacturers been involved.
    Toyota spend up to 200 million or more per year and with no other big manufacturers 100% penciled in for the next few years i could see them pulling out altogether.
    I also think them not taking 3 cars to Le Mans to come back to haunt them.
    All things been equal, i think they'll cruise it but we know that the race isn't always like that.
    They are over 4 seconds ahead of the Rebellion but i expect those gaps to come down during the race.

tigerboon wrote: »

Lotterer seems to know how to lose it as well

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

Jaysus, imagine being the person to bin it into the first corner of a 24 hour race, bet that doesn't feel too good!

I have this recording. I think it'll be a case of coming back to it every couple of hours and a lot of watching at 30x speed
    The rain might shake it up a bit

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

This post has been deleted.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,023 ✭✭✭irishrover99

Do people think Alonso can win it? In relation to the Motorsport triple crown bit, I’m amazed Montoya didn’t go to Le Mans. Indy 500 & Monaco Grand Prix winner already.

Montoya is racing but not lmp1

• Registered Users Posts: 2,855 ✭✭✭Grim.

Arse clenching restart there

• Registered Users Posts: 6,467 ✭✭✭h3000

I’m loving the racing but I can’t fight the sleep any longer after being awake 18 hours. Bright eyed and bushy tailed for the morning.

0118 999 881 999 119 725 3

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,001 ✭✭✭ayux4rj6zql2ph

This post has been deleted.

I don’t understand this as much as F1 but have been doing a little reading, Alonso is running 2nd I believe, or rather car #8 is, do they have a chance of victory after the Shunt/puncture?

Yes, unlike F1 the cars are designed for and expected to have incidents. It's not unusual for cars to be involved in major incidents, driver rips off loose bodywork and limps back to the pits and emerge with a race fit car an hour or two later.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,368 ✭✭✭Arthur Daley

Forgot Fabian Barthez has LMP2 car racing here. With Olivier Panis. But neither is driving at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

For the first year since I can remember, I missed watching Le Mans, including the build up, but no Porsche? LMP1 seems like an anti climax??

• Registered Users Posts: 30,021 ✭✭✭✭Ghost Train

Haven't watched much, a little bit here and there

Good battle between ford gt 40 and the Porsche for a while, although some of the driving from the Porsche looked a bit questionable

• Registered Users Posts: 4,937 ✭✭✭Cool_CM

#7 Toyota in trouble

• Registered Users Posts: 14,614 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

Cool_CM wrote: »
    #7 Toyota in trouble

He forgot to pit, and had to manage his fuel. Terrible mistake

• Registered Users Posts: 2,598 ✭✭✭rizzodun

Haha interesting point mentioned by the commentary team, if that means he was then in the car longer than he should have been.

Did Quest have full coverage? Only put it on with an hour and a half to go.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,614 ✭✭✭✭skipper_G

Did Quest have full coverage? Only put it on with an hour and a half to go.

No the coverage was sporadic, an hour here or there. This stint started at 10am this morning

• Registered Users Posts: 13,499 ✭✭✭✭joujoujou
    Unregistered Users

skipper_G wrote: »
    He forgot to pit, and had to manage his fuel. Terrible mistake
    In addition to that, just got 10 second stop&go penalty for more than allowed laps done on one top-up. facepalm.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,861 ✭✭✭donspeekinglesh

Hasn't been a classic by any stretch, no good battles for the lead in any class.
    The privateer P1 teams all beat themselves. Some good fights in GT Pro though.

Advertisement