Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Anyone moving to Oz?

• 11-06-2018 1:19am
    Registered Users Posts: 4

For a long time iv been thinking of moving to Australia. All of my friends are home birds or are settled. I'm 27 and I need a new adventure! I feel really uncomfortable about moving out there on my own and so that's putting me off. Would be great to do it with someone. Anyone else interested in moving to oz?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 35 joeyanne

Hey I'm in the exact same boat
    I'm 24, employed and everyone I talk to wonders why I'd bother leaving a 'stable' job! I'm hoping to move out this time next year. What are you thinking?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,435 ✭✭✭mandrake04

moving on your own sometimes the better option, although landing in a strange country and city can be daunting it can make it more exciting and yourself more confident. Sometimes different people have different levels of independence, if you are on your own then less likely to be influenced by someone who is less comfortable about being away from home. Paddle your own canoe rather than dragging dead weight.

I spent 3 months in Asia on my own before arriving in Australia, I had phone numbers and email addresses of people I had met but didn’t really need them in the end. When you are forced to network for survival it is extremely easy to build up contacts, easier to find work and is more of a life lesson than settling for comfort in numbers.

As for people saying you be mad leaving a job, sounds more like they are justifying not having the minerals to take the plunge. A job is a job not the lottery, if you are capable of finding employment first time then it can only be easier the second and third time.

Yea that makes so much sense. I'd hate to go over with someone and one of us to end up holding the other back. Although it would be nice to know someone heading over in the same boat as myself.
    I'd love to get the skilled visa, but I'm not sure where I'd like to go. Melbourne sounds lovely but it seems like half the country is there now..

Are you there long?

• Registered Users Posts: 4 cattttt

Hi joeyanne. It is a big move to make. Every time I think of it my heart flutters! Im not sure when to go either. I thought after Xmas or around this time next year. Would be handy to save a bit before it. Impossible to do when you have a car and like to enjoy the craic! I would have to become a hermit! :p i know moving out on your own would motivate you more to find work and meet new people but I'm not great at throwing myself in the deep end either.

Yea the saving bit is a struggle. The car's an awful money drainer!
    I reckon I'd be similar but I think once you get a job it shouldn't be too difficult, sorta like being back at college. Is it definitely something you want to do? I'd love to know someone going through the same process when I'm doing it, just to talk about the struggles and what to take/set up.

• Advertisement

its something I definitely want to do. Iv been finding saving hard so that was putting me back a bit. And then the uncertainity of everything. Its also hard to know what part to go to. The first thing I would do is the regional work. I think that would actually be great Craic. Lol.

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭ozbackineire

I have done this move, I was away for 5 years, 4.5 years of them in Melbourne. It was the best thing I ever did. I went over with a friend of mine however we parted ways after 4 months and I was by myself.

It is easy to make friends and contacts if you stay in a hostel when you first go over, you will meet lots of people who are doing the same things as you, you can look for places to live together, they may have contacts that you can use to find jobs. The lifestyle is incredible, the weather is amazing. Melbourne and Sydney do get proper winters though so its not all sunshine and beaches just be warned! Melbourne is an incredible city, there is so much do so and see, all of the sport is held there-Australian Open, Melbourne Cup, AFL, Cricket. The food scene and nightlife is amazing too. I went to all of the city Ausralian cities during my time and for me Melbourne will always be my favorite.

As i say it was the best thing i ever did, the independence it gives you is incredible. Its very liberating to get off a plane with a suitcase knowing nobody and make a life for yourself. I say give it a shot, you can always come back if you don't like it! it wont be easy at the start but you will love it.
    I'm happy to give you any help you need if you do decide to go for it.

Well After hearing all that how could I not go! Thank you for all that info and advice. So helpful. I might have to take you up on that offer :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Shivs123

cattttt wrote: »
    For a long time iv been thinking of moving to Australia. All of my friends are home birds or are settled. I'm 27 and I need a new adventure! I feel really uncomfortable about moving out there on my own and so that's putting me off. Would be great to do it with someone. Anyone else interested in moving to oz?

Hey! I’m heading out the end of August!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,986 ✭✭✭Noo

Also get a hobby, not matter what you love you can guarantee there'll be a club of some sort to cater for it. It'll do wonders for your social life.

• Advertisement

That's so reassuring! I've started looking in to the Skilled Visa but there just seems to be so much to it, I'll get there eventually and if it didn't work out I'd just aim for the WHV and hope to get sponsored :)

Shivs123, you'll have to keep us updated on how you get on! Are you going alone? :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Shivs123

joeyanne wrote: »
    That's so reassuring! I've started looking in to the Skilled Visa but there just seems to be so much to it, I'll get there eventually and if it didn't work out I'd just aim for the WHV and hope to get sponsored :)

Shivs123, you'll have to keep us updated on how you get on! Are you going alone? :)

Yeah heading over alone, I’m hoping to meet people over there to travel around with!

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Marcus1234

Hi guys, I'll be moving to Melbourne in two weeks any advice?

On a working holiday visa, booked into an airbnb for the first week in brunswick but have absolutely nothing planned after that!! Never lived by myself before so it will be a big change, any advice will be much appreciated!!

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭CosmicFool

Marcus1234 wrote: »
    Hi guys, I'll be moving to Melbourne in two weeks any advice?

On a working holiday visa, booked into an airbnb for the first week in brunswick but have absolutely nothing planned after that!! Never lived by myself before so it will be a big change, any advice will be much appreciated!!

If you plan on staying the 2/3 years I'd recommend doing the 3 months regional work straight away. Get it out of the way. You'll also meet people that way too. Get your driving licence( you will have to surrender your Irish licence I think to get a Aussie one if I remember correctly) ,bank acc and your tax file Number sorted straight away too. Join a GAA group if you play. Great way of meet people and contacts for jobs etc.

When I was there I used gumtree.com.au to look for regional work. Just be careful though. Check out the area and the company/farmer etc before committing to it and never ever pay anyone in advance of getting a job.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,589 ✭✭✭shakencat

I'd recommend staying in a hostel, you'll make friends easier :)

Im home 6 years now!
    Went with two friends but went my own way after 6months ( didn't fall out, I just didn't want to stay in one city for my whole time!)
    If I were to go back and do it again, I'd go alone.

Traveling was the best thing I ever did, and going alone was even better.
    Oh, also, Working in a bar means making friends fast too!

• Registered Users Posts: 95 ✭✭ozbackineire

Melbourne is amazing, I spent 4.5 of my 5 years there.
    St Kilda is where most of the Irish hang around, I stayed in a hotel called Base St Kilda when I got there first, was fantastic to meet people and get jobs. Melbourne is so big that you dont have to stick in St Kilda, its nice to not hang around with the Irish all the time!
    Check hostel notice boards for work, you never know what you might pick up. Register with Recruitment agencies such as Hays when you get there if you don't do your farm work straight away. Seek is also the site to look at for all jobs, its a big search engine like Monster or Jobs.ie here.
    Happy to answer any questions you have :)

Advertisement