Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New game workshopping and brainstorming

• 15-06-2018 10:58am
    Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Please use this thread to brainstorm any new games for the forum.

Please feel free to contribute to others suggested games.

Once a game is launched, we will create a dedicated thread to that game instead of discussing it here.

BLOCKBUSTERS

Hey guys so it came up in a codenames game that blockbusters would be fun to do, so I reckon we give it a shot?

Setup should be simple enough...I'll generate an Excel sheet later to represent the board, and then we can have teams of 2 to guess each word?

We can do solo teams as well....?

Something for discussion, could we have teams of 2 and it would work as below;

Guesser from Team A pick 'o'

Picker from Team B creates an 'o' clue and asks the opposite team that question.

Guesser from Team A tries to answer the question.

If they get it right they pick another word, if they get it wrong Team B gets to pick a letter and roles are reversed (Team A gives clue).

Thoughts?

Comments

• Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,757 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Sign me up! Will be travelling to work from 12.30 or so but sitting down to PC from 2pm

• Registered Users Posts: 10,485 ✭✭✭✭Banjo

Thought about doing this in the D&D 1e game, even built a room. But how do you stop people googling the answers?
    That's not to say it can't be done but it's going to be very difficult to come up with questions that are both fair and hard to google.

Also, it's 1 team of 2, 1 solo player depending on whether you're going the short or long way across the board, and everyone has to have a Gonk.

(Edit : you can just extend the board in one direction and have 2 teams of two, but Bob Holness will return from the grave and eat your soul. Unless he's still alive.
    One way to make it more difficult would be to go with Goldrun style questions, where there are several letters on each square so while you can google the answer to the question, it's not necessarily in the format you're required to give it.
    I'd recommend you have a Quizmaster for the game who sets out the board, questions and answers in advance so it's fair. It's a lot of work the first time, but you can reuse unused squares for future boards. )

• Registered Users Posts: 3,941 ✭✭✭osh

You could just not allow the internet to be used in finding the answer and rely on players to honour that.

The fun will be in playing the game anyway, not cheating your way to victory, so I'd imagine it would work okay.

I mean with codenames you could easily pm the words to your team mate either.

• Registered Users Posts: 35,024 ✭✭✭✭Baggly

Banjo wrote:
    Thought about doing this in the D&D 1e game, even built a room. But how do you stop people googling the answers? That's not to say it can't be done but it's going to be very difficult to come up with questions that are both fair and hard to google.

Has to be honour system I guess.

I think it's only a bit of fun so stakes won't be so high that people will wanna win that much? Maybe that's optimistic of me.

I don't see a way of doing it that cuts out Google altogether unfortunately

• Registered Users Posts: 13,350 ✭✭✭✭Kolido

Sounds good, Im game.

• Advertisement

Very good ideas.

You could play a few variations of the game with anything from 2 players to 7 players I think....

1v1
    1v1 with a board master (3) to do the goldrun version
    2v2
    2v2 with a board master (5)to do the goldrun version
    2v2v2
    2v2v2 with a board master (7) to do the goldrun version

Ok so taking on board some of the feedback, we should probably stick to a semi traditional format if we are trying this out.

Ill act as board master if everyone is happy enough with that for the first game?

Form your teams there between ye please. Are there 4 of you?

We can do 2v2 to start with and do a random number generator to pick who goes first?

If a team gets a question wrong, it will be offered to the other team to steal the block.

Ill generate the questions as best i can i guess? Would that be ok for a trial?

453427.JPG

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,404 ✭✭✭✭sKeith

is blockbusters not a buzzer game and you can buzz in b4 the question is completed and try to steal, but if wrong, the other player gets the advantage of the full question.

sKeith wrote: »
    is blockbusters not a buzzer game and you can buzz in b4 the question is completed and try to steal, but if wrong, the other player gets the advantage of the full question.

Tis but i dont know how we would replicate that here. I think it has to be turns?

Announce a time for the question.
    At that time, post the first word of the question.
    Count to 10
    Refresh. If no buzz - Edit the post, add the 2nd word
    Count to 10
    Refresh. If no buzz - add the 3rd etc etc
    First person in below the question post with "Buzz" gets to answer?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 50,757 Mod ✭✭✭✭Necro

Buzz!

What 'L' is a type of.....

we could just post the question and first to respond gets the square, but thats going to make it a little time intensive (everyone has to be present for the entirety of the game). Id rather it like Codenames where you can pop in and out whenever its your turn.

I dont mind though! Majority rules.

I’ll have a E please, Bob ;p

I’ll have a E please, Bob ;p

Flashback to your rave days.

Pter wrote: »
    Flashback to your rave days.

Been there, done that even bought my mum the t-shirt. Here I am at 3:24 :D

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 16,287 Mod ✭✭✭✭quickbeam

I'll play too, next game.

Has a game already started? I thought we were still planning how it works?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

It works best if questinnis asked by quizmaster and the first to answer wins as above
    Needs a third neutral quizmaster
    Once one team has answered if wrong the other team get to have a think and discuss
    No googling

Game would only take 5-7 minutes maybe 20 if digi and ufc are playing

Ah is more fun if they have to post “buzz” first.

• Advertisement

Buzz!

It's good, but it's not right....

Wait, that's catchphrase

Ooooh we should also play catchphrase :)
    (Using MS Paint, there's no googling that)

I call dibs on the team name buzzbusters

Banjo wrote: »

Wait, that's catchphrase

I nominate sKeith to do the drawings for the first catchphrase game :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,707 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

This is the blockbuster thread

I'll make it a general workshopping and brainstorming thread for new games when I get home. When we get our first of each game up and running, we can do dedicated threads. I probably jumped the gun when we haven't agreed the format of the game yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

Banjo wrote: »

Wait, that's catchphrase

Following on from this, in the early days of my online career I remember a website that had a live pictionary game going. It was ****ing hilarious. You get a word/phrase and start drawing it live while people guess in real time. I can't even remember the name of the website but it was so much fun. I guess we could have a version of that here using MSpaint and uploading the drawings? Not sure how you could police how much detail went into the drawing though.

Drawer is issued with a topic by someone and has 3 minutes to draw and upload the image....?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,544 ✭✭✭Mollyb60

If they miss their 3 minute window they lose points?

(although maybe 5 minutes - sometimes it can take me a bit of time to upload an image and I flat out cannot figure out how to do it on mobile)

• Advertisement

For these quiz games and even pictionary, players would need to be online for the duration of the game for it to flow consistantly. I feel this could be an issue?

Advertisement