Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Hereditary

Options
  • 30-01-2018 4:57pm
    Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭

There seems to be a good buzz about this (in that it's actually scary!)

Stars Toni Collette and Gabriel Byrne.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,051 ✭✭✭gazzer

Thats a very unnerving trailer :):) Looking forward to seeing this.

• Moderators, Arts Moderators, Regional Abroad Moderators Posts: 11,011 Mod ✭✭✭✭Fysh

Oooh, that has me interested :)

• Registered Users Posts: 13,619 ✭✭✭✭mrcheez

Some Ozzie guy posted the first review on YouTube. Sounds pretty amazing.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

*googles*

That's pretty high..

https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/hereditary/
    100%
    Average Rating: 9/10
    Reviews Counted: 30

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

Then you have incidents like this, which is publicity you just can't buy: a cinema in Australia accidentally played the trailer for Hereditary before 'Peter Rabbit', apparently traumatising the children (and probably some of the parents) in the cinema

I do feel a little sorry for the poor wee mites that were scared, but it's still kinda hilarious :D

https://mashable.com/2018/04/27/hereditary-trailer-peter-rabbit-screening/?europe=true&#Dazips1K7OqI

• Advertisement

Apparently it has an etsy shop:
    https://www.etsy.com/shop/CraftsByCharlieG

https://io9.gizmodo.com/the-scariest-movie-of-the-year-has-an-equally-creepy-et-1826427097
    The Scariest Movie of the Year Has an Equally Creepy Etsy Shop
    The site has 18 sculptures listed in total, all of which have already been sold. It promises new sculptures every week, but we don’t know if fans can actually buy them or if the film’s distributor is just posting them as a clever piece of online marketing.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,451 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

5 stars in the Guardian. Laughed at this quote:
    It was the first time I’ve heard someone in an audience of hardened critics yelp the word “Fu-uck” in two separate syllables; the first in fear, the second in a kind of immediate, incredulous self-reproach for having lost it in public.

Really excited to see this now, can't wait to see this. Genuine buzz about Toni Collette picking up awards for this too.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/jun/01/hereditary-review-horror-toni-collette-brilliant-fear

Mr E wrote: »
    5 stars in the Guardian. Laughed at this quote:

Really excited to see this now, can't wait to see this. Genuine buzz about Toni Collette picking up awards for this too.

https://www.theguardian.com/film/2018/jun/01/hereditary-review-horror-toni-collette-brilliant-fear

I've never seen a horror movie at the cinema, only tend to watch at home.

Is the scare factor is greater in the cinema, or is it lessened because you hear other people giggling etc?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

The problem with hyped up horror flicks is that scares are as subjective as any other emotional response; Hereditary looks like a dread infused nightmare, but if they weren't so successful, jump scares wouldn't account for so many box office horror films. I don't really have a point here, only that there'll be the inevitable hype backlash...

Impressive, an A. Looking forward to this one.

• Advertisement

They way he gives his impression of the film make it sound really tense and creepy!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

mrcheez wrote: »
    I've never seen a horror movie at the cinema, only tend to watch at home.

Is the scare factor is greater in the cinema, or is it lessened because you hear other people giggling etc?

any horror ive been to in the cinema the audience has been very good and there to immerse themselves in it.and it defintely adds to it.the big screen the darkness etc.
    like at the movie a quiet place i couldnt believe how quiet the audience were.there are parts in that movie when there is no sound on screen at all.you could hear a pin drop it was excellent in every sense.
    i cant wait to see this one in the cinema.

I do recall seeing the Sloth scene in Se7en at the cinema all those years ago, and the jump scare I got when he woke up is still in my mind to this day. It must have partly been because the audience screamed in fright, so yeah maybe the cinema will be worth it for this.

bob says it's scary..

When I watch horror films in the cinema I have to keep my legs tucked under me because I get scared something will grab at them down in the dark footwell :( This one is definitely on my list though. It's been ages since I had a good proper film fright.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭SK1979

Looking forward to seeing this in the cinema.

In response to whether it's scarier, it's all relative. I remember seeing IT in the cinema and while I didn't find it particularly scary, it was definitely one of the best experiences in the recent past due to the other people getting scared sh it less. :-)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,509 ✭✭✭SK1979

Looking forward to seeing this in the cinema.

In response to whether it's scarier, it's all relative. I remember seeing IT in the cinema and while I didn't find it particularly scary, it was definitely one of the best experiences in the recent past due to the other people getting scared sh it less. :-)

Slydice wrote: »
    bob says it's scary..

scariest part of that video is how the guy doesnt pause for breath :O

• Registered Users Posts: 2,815 ✭✭✭SimonTemplar

Hmm, I'm just back from it and I don't know. Toni Colette is outstanding. One of the best horror performances I've ever seen. The rest of the movie feels like familiar horror tropes done well. Yes, they are done well and some shots and lingering tension are quite good, but I did feel that there was a lack of originality.

And like comedy, I know horror can be subjective. I found it creepy and even uncomfortable but never really frightening or scary. Again, the ending feels like a hodge-podge of a few other horrors. I never thought it reached the scary heights of modern horror classes like REC, The Orphanage or It Follows.

Anyway, I found it to be a well crafted movie with a superb central performance but ultimately unoriginal and never really impresses. I already see it in "Best Horror Movie Ever" and billed as a most-see horror. It is good, but I just don't see it as THAT good.

Given the buzz around it, I may find myself in the minority though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,106 ✭✭✭saintsaltynuts

Yeah definitely agree with Simon above just back from it myself.Thought was a really good horror movie one of the best from the last few years.Toni Colette was great and there was a few genuine scary enough eerie moments bordering on disturbing one in particular scene. My advice is go see in the cinema in the dark a top popcorn horror movie it is but doesn't push into the great realms of The Exorcist Or Rosemary's Baby like it was going for.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14 LGadd14

Saw it this afternoon and I'm still reeling from it. However, I'm a bit irritated by the label it's receiving of 'scariest movie ever' because it creates all sorts of ridiculous expectations that it is never going to live up to for people. There are some who consider something to be 'scary' if it makes them jump and this film does not rely on those types of scares like other horror flicks like the Paranormal Activity series or the James Wan films. So just a word of warning to keep expectations in check in that regard.
    For a directorial debut this is a really impressive achievement, containing so many chilling sequences and a very high level of tension throughout. Excellent performances from the cast too. I was a little bit uncertain of the territory it entered during the second half but upon reflection it had been foreshadowed superbly during the early stages that I'm much more accepting of it. It's also the kind of film that will be even more rewarding upon repeat viewings, as there are quite a few very creepy moments that a lot of people might miss the first time round due to how subtle they are and certain character interactions carry a lot more emotional weight.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

An outstanding slice of horror filmmaking (with a few dashes of black comedy). You will legitimately struggle to find a better made film in the genre outside some of the obvious classics and a few exemplary contemporary efforts (It Follows stands out as another example where the horror was in the filmmaking itself as much as the literal creepy happenings). In terms of actual craft, this is one in a thousand.

From that ominous, slow-moving pan and zoom that opens proceedings, it's immediately clear Ari Aster is a gifted director, aided in no small part by Pawel Pogorzelski behind the camera. It is a film full of witty, impactful visual ideas: the central diorama motif; the extraordinary use of all sorts of lighting and shadows to craft deep, ominous and dynamic compositions; little jolts of perspective or unusual camera tilts to add to the unease; the elegant smash and match cuts that casually leap through time without losing any momentum. It's made with real purpose and intelligence, but of course all towards crafting a memorably haunting mood.

Important note: see this in a cinema with proper projection - haphazard or dim projection will mean you'll lose quite a bit of the visual nuance here.

Special shout out to Colin Stetson and his spectacular scoring work. I've been a fan of his expressive, mysterious music for a few years now, and his work here is top tier. While it brilliantly amplifies the most horrific moments without cheap soaring strings, I particularly love how it lingers, pulsating aggressively, during moments of quiet and downtime - really helps maintain the mood and sense of dread between the big moments. Indeed, the film excels more generally when it comes to giving things a chance to breathe. Scenes and shots last longer than they would in other similar films, allowing the atmosphere to really seep in. And when the camera moves, it often takes its time to get to where its going... one late film sequence in particular sees the camera casually lingering past dark walls as something terrifying lurks in the shadows.

It is, it goes without saying, a pretty creepy experience. Certainly much of what's here is familiar, and certainly moments where it goes full supernatural to mixed effect. But mostly this is a carefully paced thriller, the moments of shock & awe (
    the dinner table blow-up, the party gone wrong, the school meltdowns
    ) capably matched by stretches of building towards the inevitable explosions. Especially towards the end, there's a definite argument to be made that it over-explains (
    boasts a killer final shot and a few delightfully grizzly moments in the lead-up, mind you
    ). Mostly, though, this is a well designed horror machine - and, crucially, the ****ed-up familial dynamics at the centre of it all are realised with gusto and without much superfluous explanation. And, while there's one notable
    and slightly awkward exposition dump in the final minutes
    , Aster also allows much more subtle links and ideas to emerge naturally and without overt explanation over the course of the film.

While Toni Collette obviously does great things with the most demanding role, definite praise for the two younger co-stars is needed too - Milly Shapiro portrays a deeply disturbed predominantly through crazed expressions, while Alex Wolff handles his character's more prolonged descent into madness with great effect.

It is, at its foundation, a horror movie that delivers a satisfying mix of the expected and the surprising - its tropes matched by other moments that go beyond what the audience is likely expecting. On its own, that would make for a pleasingly creepy night out at the cinema... but the magnificently accomplished direction, visuals and sound design are what really sell this impressively chilling and pleasingly unhinged film.

Cineworld on Parnell St have good projection?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

Saw it last night and I'd never seen as little movement and noise at the end of a movie before, the whole screen remained still and quite for a good minute after the end. A real feeling of 'what the hell did I just watch' seemed to wash over everyone. I felt it was absolutely incredible, one of the most disturbing and creepy films I've ever seen. A can see a lot of people going in expecting Conjuring ghosts jumping into frame scares and being disappointed but I'd be shocked if a better horror film was released this year (or next year tbh).

Also, another shout for the acting. Toni Collette has to be a shoe in for an Oscar nomination, even at this early stage I can't imagine 5 plus better performances than she put in here occurring. The kids were excellent also, the daughter so creepy it really set the tone I felt and you can see the son is nailed on to be a star, he has the looks and now I can see has the acting chops. Even our own Gabriel Byrne was perfect in his almost 'audience member in the movie' role.

All in all just a real thinker with so many subtleties that you'll have to be thinking about it and even see it a second time (though I'll probably wait for home release). A real look at the destruction of a family through mental illness
    (or at least we think for a while)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,094 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

mrcheez wrote: »
    Cineworld on Parnell St have good projection?

I personally find it very hit and miss, and even the hits are just ‘grand’. Making your way down to the Lighthouse is a much safer bet.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

Didn't know any hype about it until I was walking in the cinema and noticed the poster had loads of 5 star reviews

I tend to be very skeptical of Horror films with high reviews- I got stung before with Babadook which had great reviews but I found it very dull

But this was such a welcome surprise, was so good, great at building the suspense and there was a few jump scares that really got me.

Someone mentioned Gabriel Byrne earlier, and he was probably the only minor flaw for me - dunno if he was the right casting, should have got someone younger to play the husband.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,134 ✭✭✭correction

wp_rathead wrote: »
    Someone mentioned Gabriel Byrne earlier, and he was probably the only minor flaw for me - dunno if he was the right casting, should have got someone younger to play the husband.
    I actually thought it fit well that considering her upbringing with her mother that she'd have been taken in by an older man who could have looked after her at the time. I may have been over thinking it though

• Registered Users Posts: 10,067 ✭✭✭✭wp_rathead

correction wrote: »
    I actually thought it fit well that considering her upbringing with her mother that she'd have been taken in by an older man who could have looked after her at the time. I may have been over thinking it though

That's a very fair take on it
    I just assumed it was Hollywood being Hollywood and ignoring the glaring age gap

I tend to be very skeptical of Horror films with high reviews- I got stung before with Babadook which had great reviews but I found it very dull

Ditto, and the kid was so freaking annoying I wanted to strangle him. :eek:
    But this was such a welcome surprise, was so good, great at building the suspense and there was a few jump scares that really got me.

Nice

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 617 ✭✭✭Space Dog

correction wrote: »
    Saw it last night and I'd never seen as little movement and noise at the end of a movie before, the whole screen remained still and quite for a good minute after the end. A real feeling of 'what the hell did I just watch' seemed to wash over everyone. I felt it was absolutely incredible, one of the most disturbing and creepy films I've ever seen. A can see a lot of people going in expecting Conjuring ghosts jumping into frame scares and being disappointed but I'd be shocked if a better horror film was released this year (or next year tbh).

Also, another shout for the acting. Toni Collette has to be a shoe in for an Oscar nomination, even at this early stage I can't imagine 5 plus better performances than she put in here occurring.

It's funny you mention people remaining quiet, in my screening quite a few people laughed or giggled at the end. I have to say I had to laugh as well,
    the last 10 minutes were quite bonkers tbf
    That's not to say I didn't like the film, I actually loved it, it was tense, disturbing and had some nicely absurd and comic streaks. The cinematography was terrific, wonderful colour palette and framing. I have to say a few images have stayed with me (
    like the daughter's head covered with ants
    ). It's gonna divide audiences for sure, my OH hated it.
    Toni Collette really is amazing in this, well she always is. Hopefully she can secure an Oscar nom now that genre movies are not that frowned upon anymore. She won't win though obviously...

Advertisement