Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Meningitis

• 01-02-2015 2:09pm
    Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭

Have bullock lost lot of weight last few days, now staggery and has eye sore.

not circling but orientation not great. Got vet. No temp and lungs fine. Like meningitis and treating him for it. Bit better already. Early stages i reckon.

another lad starting to show same symptoms. I treated him too.

anyway question i have is;
    i feeding ok silage and bit of meal on top.
    birds going ape in mornings on it and there some bird **** on the silage as a result.
    would ye think this is the cause.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,362 ✭✭✭✭Reggie.

TUBBY wrote: »
    Have bullock lost lot of weight last few days, now staggery and has eye sore.

not circling but orientation not great. Got vet. No temp and lungs fine. Like meningitis and treating him for it. Bit better already. Early stages i reckon.

another lad starting to show same symptoms. I treated him too.

anyway question i have is;
    i feeding ok silage and bit of meal on top.
    birds going ape in mornings on it and there some bird **** on the silage as a result.
    would ye think this is the cause.

I hope not, as there does be bird droppings in the trough most mornings and I don't wipe it out

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

No need to blame birds for this one, there is no evidence that birds spread it. Silage, on the other hand........

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭TUBBY

greysides wrote: »
    No need to blame birds for this one, there is no evidence that birds spread it. Silage, on the other hand........

ya can get fungal meningitis from bird droppings. Was just wondering has anyone here had experience of it. Was hoping it this rather than silage cause ya can do something about the birds....
    i thought it was listeriosis cattle got from silage especially if there was soil in the bales. This defo not listeriosis.

even since the original post, he has improved hugely. Was going for me in pen at 8am. Quiet as a mouse again now and mowing into meal and silage. Shot into vein a great job.

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭dh1985

ya can get fungal meningitis from bird droppings. Was just wondering has anyone here had experience of it. Was hoping it this rather than silage cause ya can do something about the birds....
    i thought it was listeriosis cattle got from silage especially if there was soil in the bales. This defo not listeriosis.

even since the original post, he has improved hugely. Was going for me in pen at 8am. Quiet as a mouse again now and mowing into meal and silage. Shot into vein a great job.

I didn't think you would see an improvement that quickly with meningitis. Thought it was a very prolonged process

• Registered Users Posts: 828 ✭✭✭TUBBY

dh1985 wrote: »
    I didn't think you would see an improvement that quickly with meningitis. Thought it was a very prolonged process

still long way to go though dh. He shook enough but great improvement in coordination.
    hopefully all good from here :)

• Advertisement

still long way to go though dh. He shook enough but great improvement in coordination.
    hopefully all good from here :)

Hope he makes full recovery. It's a real dose

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 8,971 Mod ✭✭✭✭greysides

Never heard of a fungal meningitis in this country. There are no readilly available drugs to treat a fungal meningitis. Your vet is likely to have given antibiotics. If there is an improvement from them then the cause isn't fungal.

While other bacteria can cause meningitis in cattle, particularly in calves, in more adult cattle the most likely cause with be Listeria monocytogenes, which causes Listerial Meningitis (usually just called Meningitis, or Listeriosis) and Infectious Uveitis (Silage Eye)...... you did mention he had sore eyes.

The aim of argument, or of discussion, should not be victory, but progress. Joseph Joubert

The ultimate purpose of debate is not to produce consensus. It's to promote critical thinking.

Adam Grant

• Registered Users Posts: 29,052 ✭✭✭✭whelan2

had 2 with meningitis last year, one made a full recovery and the other one never improved. Had a weanling with it last week and ended up getting her shot as she couldnt eat properly

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

ya can get fungal meningitis from bird droppings.

Maybe if "ya" live in a pigeon loft "ya" might.

Cattle don't.

LC

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭warfie35

cattle get bacterial meningitis from eating mouldy silage, infection goes in through nerves in their teeth & spreads to brain

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 20 MonFarmer15

Anyone on here have experience with Listeriosis in cattle at grass this year?

• Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭valtra2

Anyone on here have experience with Listeriosis in cattle at grass this year?

Yes lost a cow about a month ago to it. No silage in field and was out about a month or two at the time. Treated her but she died next day.

• Registered Users Posts: 20 MonFarmer15

Had to put down a Bullock yesterday with it. Bought 18 about 7 weeks ago and straight out onto grass. First noticed something was wrong last Thursday evening when he had clumps of grass sticking out of his mouth, initially thought he may of had something stuck in his mouth. Ran him into the crush and pulled it out. He started to pull grass straight away and again it stuck in his mouth as he couldn't swallow. On antibiotics since Friday morning, vet pumped with water and electrolytes on Sunday, still unable to swallow. Pumped with water again on Monday, but he couldn't get up on Monday, more movement in his mouth on Tuesday and was swallowing a bit on his own. But yesterday he was stretched out and we put him down. My question is could he have contracted it before I bought him about 6 weeks ago? Could this of been a relapse? He was never circling or showing signs of paralysis, both ears were pert and normal, I don’t know how we could have noticed anything was up any sooner. Vet was at a conference about it last weekend and apparently very common this year with the wet spring and hot temperatures lately!

I don't think they can get a relapse. The only chance of curing them is to get them early

• Registered Users Posts: 3,862 ✭✭✭Dickie10

hi all had a heiefer yesterday circling around presumed meneningitis vet out within half an hour and got drugs into vein, she was very staggery last night though and not getting up today, have loads of oxytertacycline and colvosone to give each day, trying to get up and drinking water

any prognosis?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,201 ✭✭✭tanko

Not good usually, is she blind?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,039 ✭✭✭morphy87

Dickie10 wrote: »
    hi all had a heiefer yesterday circling around presumed meneningitis vet out within half an hour and got drugs into vein, she was very staggery last night though and not getting up today, have loads of oxytertacycline and colvosone to give each day, trying to get up and drinking water

Had a couple down through the years,I had a few that were circling around in rings and they made a full recovery after a few weeks,had another that was down when the vet came, she was down for 3 months, was eating and drinking but eventually made a full recovery

• Registered Users Posts: 3,167 ✭✭✭Good loser

Got something in 2 x 350 kg FR stores in last month.

Both had head held high and somewhat twisted.

First not blind and vet thought early stage meningitis. LA antibiotics fixed him.

Second had some blindness. Again L A Antibiotics + 2 vit B injections saw him right

• Registered Users Posts: 2,414 ✭✭✭Jb1989

If you believe In the cure, it can be got in dundalk.
    Ive used it on a cow that couldn't swallow, along with veterinary medicine, all worked out good.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 726 ✭✭✭valtra2

Jb1989 wrote: »
    If you believe In the cure, it can be got in dundalk.
    Ive used it on a cow that couldn't swallow, along with veterinary medicine, all worked out good.

Really.... Is it the same for Santa.

valtra2 wrote: »
    Really.... Is it the same for Santa.

That's up to you.

If you get them early they are easier cured

i thought i got this one early she was staggering around and got drugs in vein within half hour but went down later on sundy still down now but will drink water. shes lively enough trying to get up up , im giving oxytetracycline twice a day and antibiotics pencillin. i had ccn on a heifer this time last year she died could it be linked?

Dickie10 wrote: »
    i thought i got this one early she was staggering around and got drugs in vein within half hour but went down later on sundy still down now but will drink water. shes lively enough trying to get up up , im giving oxytetracycline twice a day and antibiotics pencillin. i had ccn on a heifer this time last year she died could it be linked?

I had something similar a few years back. Got a first calver very early on Saturday morning circling. Vet called, diagnosed meningitis and he said she will get worse before she gets better. Went out Sunday morning she was stretched out and I thought she was dead. Long story short we kept her in water and grass and hay and she made a full recovery after a month or 5 weeks lying whilst continuing to rear a calf.
    Keep her comfortable and dont stress her lifting her.and hopefully all will.work out

will her appetitie come back only water is all shes getting

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭rs8

Sorry to dig up an old thread but does anyone here have/ know of someone that has the cure .. cheers

Dundalk was where I got mine alright, I've no number though at all now. Should be easy enough to track down. What area are you in anyway?

• Registered Users Posts: 445 ✭✭rs8

I'm on the meath/westmeath boarder not to far away!! You hardly remember a name?

• Advertisement

Honestly I don't, it was a cousin got it for me, and I'm not really talking to her anymore to ask her for info. You could try a priest or some old religious person in dundalk or your own area for info of one. Even someone with the cure of something else may point you in right direction. 'whelan' on here is from County Louth, you could pm her, and her or her father might know about the dundalk cure.

Advertisement