Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

How to get out of retail

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Crunchymomma

lizzie92 wrote: »
    This post has been deleted.

I wanted out if retail so badly once I hit my mid-20s, I went for a civil service admin job and it was a really good move for me. Flexi time, money is OK and no weekends

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

This is my advice.

Do one of these courses: https://www.istqb.org

It's basically software testing training.

Apply for a very junior software testing job.

You're female, they will want to hire you.

You may not like software testing, but it's easy, relaxed, and the money can be very good.

Use it as a stepping stone to get into the software industry, and to save money.

You can then study part-time doing whatever it is you really want to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Can you get involved with some of the back-room jobs at your store? Accounting, purchasing, merchandising etc? If your current store is small you’d then have the option to move to a larger branch doing back- room all the time with no customer facing role. And your experience in retail would be a huge advantage when applying for those roles. I’m probably using the term “back room” in the wrong manner but you’ll understand what I mean!

• Registered Users Posts: 44 lizzie92

• Advertisement

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Crunchymomma

Nope no real admin experience, mostly retail with some bar and restaurant too. The clerical officer campaign I think will be opening again soon and the executive officer at the end of the year

• Registered Users Posts: 3,733 ✭✭✭OMM 0000

Aim higher than data entry. :)

I'm sure you're capable of more.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,519 ✭✭✭GalwayGrrrrrl

Unfortunately not, it's a small family run business, they have their own office staff and accountants who think retail staff are not capable of doing their jobs...I'm good with technology and would certainly enjoy an office based, data entry sort of job, but no opportunities where I currently work I'm afraid.[/quote]
    Could you move to a large store with a chain of branches? I used to work for Bo*ts the chemist and they had lots of non-customer jobs. To progress you need to move sideways and put up with retail a little while longer before moving to those types of roles but could be worth it!

• Registered Users Posts: 507 ✭✭✭Sinus pain

I wanted out if retail so badly once I hit my mid-20s, I went for a civil service admin job and it was a really good move for me. Flexi time, money is OK and no weekends

I did the same! You can also do course in the civil service that you pay for but they refund you in completion

• Advertisement

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

What do you actually want to do? Data entry is all well and good but at some stage you're gonna hate that too.

My advice is to think long and hard about what you want to do long term, and then start taking steps to achieve it. Don't rule out college, there are part time options available.

Advertisement