Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Meath team of 80s/90s would give Dubs a game now !

• 13-06-2018 11:59am
    Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭

The meath team of 86 to 1992 would give the present dublin football team a real proper match.meath won 5 leinsters ,2 all irelands ,2 national leagues in that time competing with a really good dublin team and cork too.meath should have beaten down in 91.think of the players they had,mcquillan,lyons,o malley,ferguson,harnan,o connell,mc'entee,hayes,cassells,o rourke,stafford,flynn, absolute legends.the present day dublin team v that meath team.what a game that would be !!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,569 ✭✭✭✭ProudDUB

What's your beef with Capitals ? :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 238 ✭✭horseofstone

ProudDUB wrote: »
    What's your beef with Capitals ? :eek:

I've no beef,I'm not even from meath and I admire the dubs greatly but if the present day dublin team played that meath team of old 10 times in a year would they win all 10 matches ?? They would not is my belief.it would be a close run thing.

• Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 14,599 Mod ✭✭✭✭CIARAN_BOYLE

I've no beef,I'm not even from meath and I admire the dubs greatly but if the present day dublin team played that meath team of old 10 times in a year would they win all 10 matches ?? They would not is my belief.it would be a close run thing.

I would think the standard of fitness has advanced enough in the last 27-32 years to make a significant difference in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,770 ✭✭✭Fann Linn

I would think the standard of fitness has advanced enough in the last 27-32 years to make a significant difference in this.

I was just thinking that myself last Sunday whilst watching the match. I don't think the great Jimmy Keaveney and his potbelly would get into this Dublin panel!

Fann Linn wrote: »
    I was just thinking that myself last Sunday whilst watching the match. I don't think the great Jimmy Keaveney and his potbelly would get into this Dublin panel!

Keaveney played in the 70s.I'm talking about a superfit meath team trained by sean boylan from the mid 80s to the early 90s..a great team of warriors.

• Advertisement

Sean boylan trained that meath team, they were super fit and very well prepared.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

Dubs would win 10/10,meath would have so many suspended they wouldn't be able to tog out 15 players after the 4th game

Stafford was as reliable on the frees back then as dean rock is today

Dubs would win 10/10,meath would have so many suspended they wouldn't be able to tog out 15 players after the 4th game

Flynn stafford and o rourke in the full forward line ! You wouldnt see philly getting forward to score so much,he'd be too busy trying to defend.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,880 ✭✭✭✭Rock Lesnar

meath would have so many suspended they wouldn't be able to tog out 15 players after the 4th game

This old chestnut getting thrown around again, i dont remember to many of those lads getting suspended to often.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,085 ✭✭✭Sonny678

Martin Breheny did an article on this a few weeks. The best leinster teams of the last 40 years v the current Dubs. He left out all the Dublin teams between that period also. So he picked the 3 best leinster teams of the last 40 years which are the only leinster All Ireland winning teams in that period. In third place he had the Offaly All Ireland winning team in 1982. The second best team in the period he had the two time All Ireland winning Meath team of Late 90s and the best team in leinster in 40 years outside the Dubs was Meath team of late 80s two in a row All Ireland champions.

He talked about Offaly team of 82 would have given current Dublin team a match. The Meath 90s team also would have. He said the team who would give Dublin the biggest game would be Meath 87 88. The two best leinster teams of the last 40 years would be Dublin 11 to present. That 87 88 team would be the only team in leinster to put back to back All Irelands in the last 90 years in leinster football outside Dubs and Offaly team 71 72.

The Meath team 90s I believe would give the current Dublin team a game and it would be fascinating battle. Yes current Dublin team are a greater team. But a Meath team with players like Fay McDermont Giles Geraghty and Murphy a Meath team which on top form played swashbuckling attacking football who defeated Dublin 4 times in 5 years in the championship and defeated Tyrone and Kerry in All Ireland semi finals by 9 and a record 15 point defeat of great kerry team of 00s. That Meath team would definitely not be beaten by double digits by the current Dublin team.

But yes the 80s Meath team would have given this current Dublin team the toughest test of any team in leinster in the last 50 years. That team in 5 years played Dublin 9 times and were only beaten once. They had the best full back of the 80s in lyons. In Robbie O Malley they had one of the great corner backs of the last 40 years, and Michael Muiritigh said he was best corner back he ever saw play. Martin O Connell is considered the greatest number 7 in the history of the game as he was voted the team of the Millenium. McEntee and Hayes were the best midfield partnership of it generation. And Flynn Stafford O Rourke is considered by many as the best full forward line of the last 40 years. And only Egan Liston and Sheedy would considered better in the history of the game. O Rourke is considered by many to be one of the best forwards of the last 40 years. Between 88 to 91 Flynn was the best corner forward in Ireland. And Stafford is considered one of the best freetakers ever in many peoples eyes.

So yes that team playing the current Dublin would be a great match. Dublin team are a better team because a 5 times Dublin team would be better greater team. In that some already consider them the greatest. And also this Dublin can win more. If they win 3 in row, they will be the second greatest ever and if they win 5 in a row they would be the greatest of all time. At the moment I would have this current Dublin team in the top 3 or 4 teams ever if they dont win anymore Sams . Nearly all lists I have seen in papers and internet polls and fan lists The Meath team 87 88 comes in the top 10 best teams ever, usually from 5 to 10.

So in many peoples eyes you are talking about the two of greatest teams ever. And in the last 40 years the only leinster teams to win back to back All Irelands ( which is requisite in all managers, players, former players, pundits, fans eyes the sign of greatness is placing two All Irelands back to back). The two best leinster teams of the last 40 years were current Dublin team and Meath team 87 88. The Dublin team wouldnt be beating that Meath team by double digits that's for sure.

Of course you will get people saying a different era, different tactics and fitness levels. Players like Flynn O Connell Hayes would shine easily in this era with their Atleticism. And that Meath was the first team to play with defenders in the forwards ( Coyle Caseells) and bring players back in defence ( Beggy Dowd Gillic). The blanket defence sweepers began with that Meath team.

It would be a fascinating match. But as a Meath man I have no problem saying the current Dublin team is a greater team , as 5 Sams are greater then 2 Sams. But it would be fascinating clash. Breheny in the Indo also believed that Meath team of 87 88 would have given the current Dublin the greatest test of all leinster teams since the 70s. Of course you will get ABM brigade who will never give Meath credit.But if anyone puts their biases against Meath to one side you would have to admit they are two great teams, two of the greatest ever.

Fitness has improved. Meath players of that era were known as an incredibly fit team look how they played 10 games in 91 season which was a record up to that. That Meath team could easily train like the current Dublin team if they had the same sport science. In other sports modern fitness isnt seen as the the sign of greatness. The best soccer team ever is the Brazil team of 1970. The best English soccer team ever is the team of 66. The best Real Madrid team ever is the the Real Madrid 5 European cups in a row in the 60s.
    Ask any Liverpool supporter they will tel u that liverpool team of 70s and 80s is better then the current liverpool.
    Ask any Celtic supporter and they will u the Cetlic team of 67 is better then the current Invincible team. Soccer fans dont discriminate greatness or only see greatness through the eyes of fitness.

That fitness was poorer in 60s 70s or 80s, so current teams are better. They dont believe that in soccer rugby criket Amercian football, every field sport in the world. I dont know why GAA fans would think different. If teams in the 60s 70s and 80s had the same sport science as today they would do the same training as todays players. It wouldnt stop them reaching the same level of fitness . Anyone can get fit. Its not a sign of greatness and football ability , to be very fit very fit. Anyone can do that. Character, leadership skills, football skills are something you have or not. Sean Purcell Sean O Neill Kevin Higgins would easily adapt if they were around today. Their football ability would shine and they would have no problem getting fit in a modern way. Anyone can become fit. Thats easy. Football ability well not everyone can become a football great.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,556 ✭✭✭DJIMI TRARORE

This old chestnut getting thrown around again, i dont remember to many of those lads getting suspended to often.

It would depend on whether it was reffed under 80s rules or todays

It would depend on whether it was reffed under 80s rules or todays

Still no mention of all those great Meath players. Defenders like O Malley and O Connell are considered two of the greatest defenders ever particularly O Connell. Michael O Muritigh said O Malley was the greatest corner back he ever saw play and Martin O Connell the greatest number 7 wing back/half back he ever saw play.That full forward line of O Rourke Stafford and Flynn was as good as ever played the game.

That Meath team had 4 footballers of the year. The only other teams in the history of gaelic football to have won 4 footballers of the year were kerry 75 to 86 (,Keefe O Se Spillane Sheedy) and the current Dublin team ( B Brogan Macauley McCaffrey A Brogan). The only other team to have 4 footballers of the year was that Meath team . No one has never had 5 footballers of the year on their team.

Colm O Rourke was Footballer of the year .
    Brian Stafford was Footballer of the year.
    Robbie O Malley was voted Footballer of the year ( the only corner back ever to win the footballer of the year award along with Marc O Se ) .
    Martin O Connell was voted Footballer of the year ( the only number 7 the only left half back with Mccaffrey to ever win footballer of the year).
    A team with 4 footballers of the Year cannot be a bad team.

Sonny678 wrote: »
    Martin Breheny did an article on this a few weeks. The best leinster teams of the last 40 years v the current Dubs. He left out all the Dublin teams between that period also. So he picked the 3 best leinster teams of the last 40 years which are the only leinster All Ireland winning teams in that period. In third place he had the Offaly All Ireland winning team in 1982. The second best team in the period he had the two time All Ireland winning Meath team of Late 90s and the best team in leinster in 40 years outside the Dubs was Meath team of late 80s two in a row All Ireland champions.

He talked about Offaly team of 82 would have given current Dublin team a match. The Meath 90s team also would have. He said the team who would give Dublin the biggest game would be Meath 87 88. The two best leinster teams of the last 40 years would be Dublin 11 to present. That 87 88 team would be the only team in leinster to put back to back All Irelands in the last 90 years in leinster football outside Dubs and Offaly team 71 72.

The Meath team 90s I believe would give the current Dublin team a game and it would be fascinating battle. Yes current Dublin team are a greater team. But a Meath team with players like Fay McDermont Giles Geraghty and Murphy a Meath team which on top form played swashbuckling attacking football who defeated Dublin 4 times in 5 years in the championship and defeated Tyrone and Kerry in All Ireland semi finals by 9 and a record 15 point defeat of great kerry team of 00s. That Meath team would definitely not be beaten by double digits by the current Dublin team.

But yes the 80s Meath team would have given this current Dublin team the toughest test of any team in leinster in the last 50 years. That team in 5 years played Dublin 9 times and were only beaten once. They had the best full back of the 80s in lyons. In Robbie O Malley they had one of the great corner backs of the last 40 years, and Michael Muiritigh said he was best corner back he ever saw play. Martin O Connell is considered the greatest number 7 in the history of the game as he was voted the team of the Millenium. McEntee and Hayes were the best midfield partnership of it generation. And Flynn Stafford O Rourke is considered by many as the best full forward line of the last 40 years. And only Egan Liston and Sheedy would considered better in the history of the game. O Rourke is considered by many to be one of the best forwards of the last 40 years. Between 88 to 91 Flynn was the best corner forward in Ireland. And Stafford is considered one of the best freetakers ever in many peoples eyes.

So yes that team playing the current Dublin would be a great match. Dublin team are a better team because a 5 times Dublin team would be better greater team. In that some already consider them the greatest. And also this Dublin can win more. If they win 3 in row, they will be the second greatest ever and if they win 5 in a row they would be the greatest of all time. At the moment I would have this current Dublin team in the top 3 or 4 teams ever if they dont win anymore Sams . Nearly all lists I have seen in papers and internet polls and fan lists The Meath team 87 88 comes in the top 10 best teams ever, usually from 5 to 10.

So in many peoples eyes you are talking about the two of greatest teams ever. And in the last 40 years the only leinster teams to win back to back All Irelands ( which is requisite in all managers, players, former players, pundits, fans eyes the sign of greatness is placing two All Irelands back to back). The two best leinster teams of the last 40 years were current Dublin team and Meath team 87 88. The Dublin team wouldnt be beating that Meath team by double digits that's for sure.

Of course you will get people saying a different era, different tactics and fitness levels. Players like Flynn O Connell Hayes would shine easily in this era with their Atleticism. And that Meath was the first team to play with defenders in the forwards ( Coyle Caseells) and bring players back in defence ( Beggy Dowd Gillic). The blanket defence sweepers began with that Meath team.

It would be a fascinating match. But as a Meath man I have no problem saying the current Dublin team is a greater team , as 5 Sams are greater then 2 Sams. But it would be fascinating clash. Breheny in the Indo also believed that Meath team of 87 88 would have given the current Dublin the greatest test of all leinster teams since the 70s. Of course you will get ABM brigade who will never give Meath credit.But if anyone puts their biases against Meath to one side you would have to admit they are two great teams, two of the greatest ever.

Well said sonny

• Registered Users Posts: 11,278 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

If it was some sort of time travel thing the current Dubs would win, if we’re talking those lads around now with modern training and tactics then it would be different. Maybe not different outcome but certainly a matchup

• Registered Users Posts: 8,204 ✭✭✭partyguinness

I would suggest that the Dublin team now are too fast and too mobile.

Let's be honest, most of the championship games from late 80s and early 90s look no better than a bad Junior A game played today.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,360 ✭✭✭MfMan

The Galway team 98-01 would also give a good rattle to that Dublin team. They'd have no better forwards than Fallon, Donnellan, Joyce, Savage or defenders much better than Mannion, De Paor. This is a very fine Dublin *team* currently, but how many of their forwards would ever be classed as among the top echelon to play that game?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,487 ✭✭✭Mutant z

Comparing teams from different eras is like comparing chalk and chesse utterly pointless.

• Registered Users Posts: 27,153 ✭✭✭✭blanch152

MfMan wrote: »
    The Galway team 98-01 would also give a good rattle to that Dublin team. They'd have no better forwards than Fallon, Donnellan, Joyce, Savage or defenders much better than Mannion, De Paor. This is a very fine Dublin *team* currently, but how many of their forwards would ever be classed as among the top echelon to play that game?

The current team has probably more forwards that any other team that consistently score points off either foot - Brogan, Connolly, Kilkenny, Andrews, O'Callaghan and Rock are well capable of it, Mannion less so, but that shows the high level they have reached.

Many forwards back in the day only kicked off one foot and would be bottled up by any half-decent defence nowadays.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,665 ✭✭✭Bonniedog

Meath full forward line of Stafford, O'Rourke and Flynn was one of greatest of all time.

They were possibly unfortunate in that it took so long for them to finally overcome Dublin in the late 80s. By that stage a lot of them were getting close to retirement.

Of course teams of the past were not as fit as current teams. Same applies in all team sports but if they had the same sort of training then they would certainly have the skill levels and tenacity to compete with the best now,

People see one game on TNAG of All Ireland finals in 70s 80s and 90s and take that as example of football for the whole era. There was great finalS then eg 1991 and great finals now eg 2017. There was bad finals then eg 1983 and bad finals now eg 2013. Every match is recorded pretty much in the championship now, you have so many live matchs. In the 70s 80s early 90s the only games live on tv where All Ireland finals and semi finals and Railway cup final. The 4th game Meath v Dublin in 91 was the first game ever televised live that was not All Ireland finals and semi finals and Railway cup final.

There were many great games back that . I remeber Kerry v Monaghan in 1985, Kerry v Tyrone in 86, Meath v Down 91, Down v Derry 94, Meath v kildare 97. They were as good games as todays. In every sport teams from the past are celebrated not belittled. Tell an English soccer fan the current English team is better then the team of 1966. They would laugh in your face. If you ever watch the game between Brazil v England in 1970 World Cup which the BBC shows allot in full. That game is in very hot condtions but was slower then today. Yet Bobby Moore is considered the greatest English defender and Bobby Charlton is considered the greatest soocer player in England ever. If you said Rio Ferdinard or John Stone was better then Moore or Deli Ali or even Harry Kane was better the Chartlon soccer fans would find that insulting almost, they would laugh in your face. The greatest soccer players ever are mostly from the past only for Ronaldo and Messi. Pele is considered the best soccer player. Just a few weeks there was poll and Pele came first. The best soccer players were in 60s 70s 80s 90s eg Pele Charlton Di Stefano Best Cruyff Beckenabaur Maradona . Only Messi and Ronaldo are considered all time greats in this era.

Who is the greatest heavyweight boxer ever , Ali is. His last fight was in early 80s. Joe Lewis is considered in the top 4 or 5 heavywieghts ever, and he last fought in 1940s. Sugar Ray Robinson is considered pound for pound the greatest boxer ever, he last fought in the 1950s. Babe Ruth is considered the greatest baseball player ever and yet in todays society he would be considered obese. Christy Ring is still considered the best hurler ever. Even in 2010 when RTE had a nationwide vote who was greatest Irish sportsperson ever, only Christy Ring was in the top ten, only GAA figure in top ten and this was the year Henry Shefflin won 4 in a row with the Cats. Yet Ring who last hurled in the 60s was the only GAA figure in top best Irish sportsperson..

Bonniedog wrote: »
    Meath full forward line of Stafford, O'Rourke and Flynn was one of greatest of all time.

They were possibly unfortunate in that it took so long for them to finally overcome Dublin in the late 80s. By that stage a lot of them were getting close to retirement.

Of course teams of the past were not as fit as current teams. Same applies in all team sports but if they had the same sort of training then they would certainly have the skill levels and tenacity to compete with the best now,

100% agree with Bonniedog, he summed it up perfectly.

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

The meath team of 86 to 1992 would give the present dublin football team a real go

Tbh.

I don't agree. Firstly they meath team came at the end of that great Kerry team.

When they did play Kerry they lost.

They only ever AIs when someone else beat Kerry.

A Dublin team that were not a patch on this team kept them out in 1989

The Dubs also had a right go at them over 4 games in 91.

In 92 Dublin started a run of 4 provincial Championships.

That was a great Meath team, they had great battles with Cork. They were also stuck in-between two different AI winning Dublin teams that both packed it in after they won one AI.
    They came good when the great Kerry team was full of lads in their mid thirties

Also plenty of that team (1986) Mick Lyons, O'Rourke were playing in the 1970's and didn't get a look in versus the Kerry and Dublin team of that era

I'm pretty sure Kerry popped in a few goals on Mick Lyons in 1986, at that stage he was playing intercounty football for around for 6 or 7 years.

It was a great team full of character but I couldn't see them beating this Dublin team

They were an old enough team many of them were around well before 86.

Lost against Dublin in 85 (last of Dubs run of 3)
    Lost against Kerry in 86
    Beat Cork in 87
    Beat Cork in 88 by a point
    Lost against Dublin in 89
    Lost against Cork in 90
    Lost againat Down in 91
    Lost against Dublin in 92 (start Dubs run of 4)

If you look at it 4 different teams knocked them out during that period

They won 3 provincial and 2 AIs back to back, a fine record

For the "should have won against Down" I offer, fellover the line against Cork in 88

I loved that team, hated losing to them, apart from Down in 91 I was up for them after they beat Dublin.

But this Dublin team is no pushover.
    They would run that back side off them too, as would Mayo IMO.

That 88 team vs the 00's Tyrone team would be great

Stoner wrote: »
    Tbh.

I don't agree. Firstly they meath team came at the end of that great Kerry team.

When they did play Kerry they lost.

They only ever AIs when someone else beat Kerry.

A Dublin team that were not a patch on this team kept them out in 1989

The Dubs also had a right go at them over 4 games in 91.

In 92 Dublin started a run of 4 provincial Championships.

That was a great Meath team, they had great battles with Cork. They were also stuck in-between two different AI winning Dublin teams that both packed it in after they won one AI.
    They came good when the great Kerry team was full of lads in their mid thirties

Also plenty of that team (1986) Mick Lyons, O'Rourke were playing in the 1970's and didn't get a look in versus the Kerry and Dublin team of that era

I'm pretty sure Kerry popped in a few goals on Mick Lyons in 1986, at that stage he was playing intercounty football for around for 6 or 7 years.

It was a great team full of character but I couldn't see them beating this Dublin team

They were an old enough team many of them were around well before 86.

Lost against Dublin in 85 (last of Dubs run of 3)
    Lost against Kerry in 86
    Beat Cork in 87
    Beat Cork in 88 by a point
    Lost against Dublin in 89
    Lost against Cork in 90
    Lost againat Down in 91
    Lost against Dublin in 92 (start Dubs run of 4)

If you look at it 4 different teams knocked them out during that period

They won 3 provincial and 2 AIs back to back, a fine record

For the "should have won against Down" I offer, fellover the line against Cork in 88

I loved that team, hated losing to them, apart from Down in 91 I was up for them after they beat Dublin.

But this Dublin team is no pushover.
    They would run that back side off them too, as would Mayo IMO.

That 88 team vs the 00's Tyrone team would be great

That meath team were extra tough,hard as nails and well drilled under boylan.There's no way Dublin would be dominating leinster today if that meath team were around today.they had a never say die attitude, which is something for example mayo teams down through the years lacked .

That meath team were extra tough,hard as nails and well drilled under boylan.There's no way Dublin would be dominating leinster today if that meath team were around today.they had a never say die attitude, which is something for example mayo teams down through the years lacked .

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,723 ✭✭✭nice_guy80

15 black cards
    Game over

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 10,952 Mod ✭✭✭✭Stoner

They were a great team, and I like that brand of football. I agree there'd be some give and take. Meath had real leaders back then. Lads like McCarty on the Dublin have it now. No doubt it would be a different competition if a meath team with as many characters was around now.

nice_guy80 wrote: »
    15 black cards
    Game over

Why do u say that ?? Meath were tough but fair.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 720 ✭✭✭MattressRick

Waste of time this. No way of knowing. Would Colm o Rourke even have been the same player if they trained as much as nowadays with his dodgy knee? He mightn't have played half as much as he did or been the same player.

Advertisement