Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

2018 IRC Postgraduate Funding

124»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24 RainbowUnicorn

The cut off was 88.5 in stem category 1

• Registered Users Posts: 37 BlowInYank

dco_1987 wrote: »
    Zoinks wrote: »
    You can request your score broken down by category.

As for appeals, I don't believe it would go anywhere unless you could evidence irregularities of some sort in the process--a simple recheck cannot be requested afaik.

Here is the appeals process document for anyone looking.

http://research.ie/assets/uploads/2017/05/declined_funding_appeals_policy_and_prodecures-1.pdf

I wrote a polite email this morning asking for the ‘Explanation by the IRC Programme Manager‘ that I am entitled to, according to the appeals document.

Apparently, being on the reserve list means I do not deserve a word of feedback until 1 October.

I emailed asking for a breakdown of score and received it. Is it really the 1st of October before word of reserve is received??

• Registered Users Posts: 90 ✭✭Zoinks

BlowInYank wrote: »
    dco_1987 wrote: »
    Zoinks wrote: »
    You can request your score broken down by category.

As for appeals, I don't believe it would go anywhere unless you could evidence irregularities of some sort in the process--a simple recheck cannot be requested afaik.

Here is the appeals process document for anyone looking.

http://research.ie/assets/uploads/2017/05/declined_funding_appeals_policy_and_prodecures-1.pdf

I wrote a polite email this morning asking for the ‘Explanation by the IRC Programme Manager‘ that I am entitled to, according to the appeals document.

Apparently, being on the reserve list means I do not deserve a word of feedback until 1 October.

They wouldn't even give you a point break-down? I don't understand the rationale if not--I mean they have already given you your overall score. You need that well before October 1 if you want to submit another application.

‘...We have no control over when awardees decide to inform us of a decision to decline their award, which can happen at any point up to 1 October 2018, so unfortunately I cannot give you any further information at this time.

Finally, as detailed in the Guide for Applicants, feedback will consist of the score assigned by the Inner International Assessment Board. Additional qualitative feedback will not be provided.’

So, nope.

• Advertisement

Between FoI laws and the GDPR I think there may be a possibility of wrenching this information from them.

Not sure it’s worth it to stick my neck out, particularly with being non-EU.

I can understand that worry, I would be the same. I wish they had better justifications (or any?) for the lack of transparency--especially at this juncture. The knowledge of your points breakdown would surely confer no unfair advantage in the competition, and I can't imagine it would take unreasonable effort on their part to tabulate it.

It's been 24 hours now so they can't email back saying that they've made a mistake (right??) - I GOT OFF THE RESERVE LIST.

I GOT THE SCHOLARSHIP!!!!

:eek::eek::eek::eek::eek:

Thank you so much all for keeping me sane through this process. Well, relatively. :cool:

It's been 24 hours now so they can't email back saying that they've made a mistake (right??) - I GOT OFF THE RESERVE LIST.

Thank you so much all for keeping me sane through this process. Well, relatively. :cool:

Well done, what exciting news! :D

You were probably at the the top of the reserve list as you had a very high score! This might be worth noting for any other hopefuls on the reserve list--it may be that it has only just started moving.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 460 ✭✭Smegging hell

Delighted for you!

Well done blowinyank! Delighted for you! I'm still at reserve status but I was 2.5 under award score so doubt I have any hope!

Well done blowinyank! Delighted for you! I'm still at reserve status but I was 2.5 under award score so doubt I have any hope!
    Thanks! I was 1.5, I’m still hoping for you!

• Registered Users Posts: 8 MyPHDJourney

Guys,
    It is 2020 and here we are. Cut off was 92. I got 91.5! I feel sick and defeated. Please tell me that I will be okay because I am losing my mind as I do not have any other source of funding.

Advertisement