Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

First Man

• 10-06-2018 4:35pm
    Registered Users Posts: 60,185 ✭✭✭✭

The first trailer for La La Land director Damien Chazelle’s upcoming biopic First Man has touched down. The film will follow the life of astronaut Neil Armstrong as he prepares to become the first human to step on the moon.

The film is based on Armstrong’s authorized biography, First Man: The Life of Neil A. Armstrong, written by James R. Hansen. While that book was a comprehensive look at the late astronaut’s life, the film will cover a smaller snippet: the years between 1961 and 1969, as the space race shifted in to full swing.

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

Looks like Chazelle will be up for another best picture award!

• Registered Users Posts: 864 ✭✭✭El Duda

Loved Whiplash. Admired La La Land.

Looking forward to his first departure from the world of Jazz. This should be good.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,728 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

If the trailer is anything to go by, looks like they're emphasising just how improvised and (relatively) cobbled together the NASA program was. Real 'wing and a prayer, and duct tape' stuff. That should certainly help the movie develop some tension in telling the story of a historical event.

Ryan Gosling though, oof; once more it looks like another one of his pensive, mumbling, dead-eyed performances. In his defence, NASA astronauts are not known for their excess of charisma, so maybe it'll be a good fit in spite of his talents.

No doubt the movie will be a rallying cry for all the conspiracy nuts who believe the moon landings (all 6 of them) never happened, look forward to that :D

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 18,123 Mod ✭✭✭✭CatFromHue

El Duda wrote: »

Looking forward to his first departure from the world of Jazz. This should be good.

It's a little known fact but once Armstrong stepped onto the Moon the first thing he did was the Jazz Hands dance move

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I liked that. I mean, yeah, Gosling is a charisma vacuum (No pun intended) but it's nice to see a serious take on the Apollo (And Gemini) programme as a whole.
    It's not going to change the world but it looks good. I'm looking forward to it. Obviously carefully timed.

I would recommend viewing HBO/Tom Hanks' From The Earth To The Moon. Similar to HBO/Hanks' Band of Brothers, it's a 10 part mini series with obsessive attention to detail (Right down to capsule communication being from transcripts apparently). It may be a bit dated (4/3 screen ratio, some alarmingly young actors who went on to big things). But it covers everything this film would: From Gemini right up to wind down of Apollo.

Maybe a bit too close to the movie if you want to go in unaware but, if you are interested, it's worth a watch

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 84,341 ✭✭✭✭JP Liz V1

Claire Foy is building an impressive CV after The Crown

• Registered Users Posts: 12,948 ✭✭✭✭bnt

From out there on the moon, international politics look so petty. You want to grab a politician by the scruff of the neck and drag him a quarter of a million miles out and say, ‘Look at that, you son of a bitch’.

— Edgar Mitchell, Apollo 14 Astronaut

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Now that's a well crafted trailer!

So much so that I starting wondering why I was starting to feel hypey about another moon landing film.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,728 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

It's very slick and emotive, seems to capture the gravity (hoho) and scale of the event - so far by the evidence of the trailer it looks a cut above the norm with hollywood biographies.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,739 ✭✭✭✭expectationlost

it looks extremely well made but also conventional, I mean the focus of the drama on Armstrong is interesting as the rest of the story is probably better told as documentary. But still we've seen the man going to space with worried family at home story in the Right stuff, Apollo 13 etc. (Armageddon :P)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,332 ✭✭✭✭siblers

****ing trailer gives away the ending

• Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

I haven't looked forward to a film so much since Interstellar

• Registered Users Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭valoren

Big uproar about how the flag isn't shown planted on the moon. Some people just look for anything to complain about. They conveniently forget that the flag is prominent on their spacesuits and on the Saturn V rocket of course. The flag is shown on the moon as well apparently. What the hell is it with people and flags?

https://www.space.com/41715-first-man-movie-buzz-aldrin-controversy.html

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

valoren wrote: »
    What the hell is it with people Americans and flags?

Fixed ;)

The American Right have always had a knack for sniffing out apparent offences against Patriotism, so it's not all that surprising they've latched onto this film's supposed lack of desired jingoism. You go back a few decades and they were having conniptions when Superman stopped talking about 'truth justice and the American way', so you can't win. Of course ultimately it has only helped the media profile of the film, and doubtless the studio are already calculating the expected gains at the box office.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Big uproar about how the flag isn't shown planted on the moon. Some people just look for anything to complain about. They conveniently forget that the flag is prominent on their spacesuits and on the Saturn V rocket of course. The flag is shown on the moon as well apparently. What the hell is it with people and flags?

Buzz Armstong and Chuck Yeager have come out and criticized the movies portrayal of Armstong. I'd hardly consider them as just some people looking for something to complain about.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Venom wrote: »

Buzz Armstong and Chuck Yeager have come out and criticized the movies portrayal of Armstong. I'd hardly consider them as just some people looking for something to complain about.

"criticized the movies portrayal of Armstong" i.e. that it isn't a hagiography, his family are happy with it apparantly.

The achievement was GETTING to the moon, not sticking a flag into some dust, any idiot can do that!!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,453 ✭✭✭valoren

Some user tagged Yaeger on Twitter claiming the portrayal of Armstrong was as a "liberal progressive, anti-Trump (in spirit) non-flag waver.

Yaeger responded and said that's not the Armstrong he knew.

He suggested that Armstrong, who died aged 82 in 2012, had not regarded himself as an "American hero," and that the accomplishment of reaching the moon "transcended countries and borders"

That's par for the course though when it comes to biography: it wouldn't be the first time relatives, friends or whatnot complain about how accurate the subjects portrayal is - what's tiresome in this case are the right-wing rags such as Fox dog-piling on an unreleased film because it's not suitably jingoistic (ringing particularly hollow given how at the time it was emphasised as a human endeavour, not an American one).

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,810 ✭✭✭Hector Savage

F*ck off politics out of this one !! jesus

Fantastic film, the space and flight sequences are extremely visceral, the personal stuff done equally well. Gosling acquits himself well as does all the cast even those in minor roles. Doesn't feel like 2 hrs 20 either. 4.5/5.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Fantastic film, the space and flight sequences are extremely visceral, the personal stuff done equally well. Gosling acquits himself well as does all the cast even those in minor roles. Doesn't feel like 2 hrs 20 either. 4.5/5.

How was the stuff with Kubrick directing in the sound stage in Nevada?

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 2,492 ✭✭✭pleas advice

F*ck off politics out of this one !! jesus

I mean, it *was* the Space Race, like...

Surprised at the lack of interest in this on here, its a fantastic cinematic treat, reviews all positive too????

It ain't out here 'til the weekend, so I doubt many have seen it yet...

• Registered Users Posts: 5,915 ✭✭✭TheIrishGrover

I'm looking forward to this. Gosling is a bit of a personality vacuum (No pun intended). But, then again, Armstrong was quite a quiet man so it is good casting. I mean, as someone stated above, it looks pretty conventional but it's still great to see. At a time when science is being demonized by nervous hang-wringers or American partisan fearmongers or....or...... FLAT EARTHERS (in 2018!!!!!!) it's good to celebrate science and technology and man's spirit to explore. I know that's cliche as hell but it's also my genuine belief.

I would heartily recommend Tom Hanks and HBO's "From The Earth To The Moon". Similar to their later "Band Of Brothers" in that it was Hanks produced after he made related movie and similar attention to detail (Right down to capsule-capcom chatter being pretty much transcript apparently)

pixelburp wrote: »
    It ain't out here 'til the weekend, so I doubt many have seen it yet...

I know but in terms of anticipation, loads of film threads on here with hundreds of posts before they come out

• Registered Users Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I'm looking forward to this. Gosling is a bit of a personality vacuum (No pun intended). But, then again, Armstrong was quite a quiet man so it is good casting.

Well, as you say, Armstrong didn't appear to be one for shouting from the rooftops either. The film is probably more to do with the astronautical events he took part in and not necessarily him.

At least, I hope so.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 18,824 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

I know but in terms of anticipation, loads of film threads on here with hundreds of posts before they come out

Probably has a lot to do with the fact that most people will know or have a good idea of how this film (or much of it) will play out, already in their heads.

It'll probably barely touch upon his time in Korea, then as a test pilot and then onto the Gemini and Apollo programs.

Advertisement