Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Halloween (2018)

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Why is this called Halloween if its a direct sequel to the original and not a remake/reboot?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,995 ✭✭✭Ipso

Maybe call it All Saints day.
    I'm cautiously optimistic about this.
    Is it true that Halloween was originally meant to be an anthology where each film was a separate story set on Halloween?

• Registered Users Posts: 12,832 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

Ipso wrote: »
    Is it true that Halloween was originally meant to be an anthology where each film was a separate story set on Halloween?

Yeah the third movie is unrelated to the rest.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,531 ✭✭✭Padraig Mor

Didn't they remake this once already (or is that my imagination)? I'll leave out the obligatory comments re classic, no need, etc.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 37,107 CMod ✭✭✭✭ancapailldorcha

Didn't they remake this once already (or is that my imagination)? I'll leave out the obligatory comments re classic, no need, etc.

They did. Rob Zombie directed it. I don't know how good it was or wasn't.

We sat again for an hour and a half discussing maps and figures and always getting back to that most damnable creation of the perverted ingenuity of man - the County of Tyrone.

H. H. Asquith

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

They did. Rob Zombie directed it. I don't know how good it was or wasn't.

If i recall, the first one was decent and the second one was an absolute mess, i cant really remember them though to be honest. I just remember feeling overall let down :(

Aul Danny Mcbride is heavily involved with the screen play on this, while i love Danny, i just fear this movie will be more like a Scream movie instead of an actual Halloween flick :pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,114 ✭✭✭✭DvB

The original Halloween & the direct sequel Halloween II are the only ones worth watching, III at a push is decent, but as a stand alone movie with nothing at all to do with the others. All the remakes after that have been so poor I forget which ones I've watched. I doubt I'll even bother with this, would rather take out my DVD's of the original 2 & give them a watch.
    "I will honour Christmas in my heart, and try to keep it all the year" - Charles Dickens

• Registered Users Posts: 55,450 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

This looks great! That music... jesus, still fantastic. :)

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 35,941 CMod ✭✭✭✭pixelburp

That actually looks pretty OK; when I heard Blumhouse were going to make it I was cautiously optimistic, figuring they had a better chance than others to craft a decent Halloween sequel.

• Registered Users Posts: 465 ✭✭Fox Hound

I like Rob Zombies Take on the Halloween series, it was messy at times, But I like the tone of all his movies, something oddly crazy about them,

I like the fact they are starting fresh with this one and ignoring all the other sequels, thats a plus in my book,

This will probably be a soft reboot of the first one, as it will hit the same beats as the first movie and definitly have some call backs,

Ill defo watch it and hope for the best

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,790 ✭✭✭Bret Hart

What running time are we looking at for this, 100+? Anybody know when it'll be released over here ?

I'll avoid going too see it for it's opening weeks. I'm a huge Halloween fan,so want too watch this in a somewhat peaceful setting.

• Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭CastorTroy

pixelburp wrote: »
    That actually looks pretty OK; when I heard Blumhouse were going to make it I was cautiously optimistic, figuring they had a better chance than others to craft a decent Halloween sequel.

It's only recently that I've started hearing Blumhouse mentioned in advertising material for films. Think it was Truth or Dare.

I liked Halloween 4.
    It is strange that they just decided to do a sequel after the remake series.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭Mrcaramelchoc

good god talk about milking the ****e out of something.lay the thing to rest ffs.even if they made the same movie with different name it might be better.its purely a money making excercise at this stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,343 ✭✭✭esposito

Bret Hart wrote: »
    What running time are we looking at for this, 100+? Anybody know when it'll be released over here ?

Not sure about the running time. I’m hoping it’s more than the standard 90 mins for most horrors. 100-120 mins would be good.

October 19 it will be released.

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 24,720 Mod ✭✭✭✭Loughc

This actually looks really good. One of the best trailers I’ve seen in a while. I can’t wait for this now.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,168 ✭✭✭oneilla

Ipso wrote: »

The first one was originally going to be called The Babysitter Murders. Horror film titles in the 70s had titles which were quite blunt.

As stated above the third one is unrelated to Michael Myers. The original financier of Halloween was a Syrian named Moustapha Akkad who predictably only cared about making money.

Trailer is decent

On one hand I absolutely hate this **** and wonder where everyone gets the energy to work on something that has been done before, and then I start think, but what if they actually pull it off, what if it’s actually good

I always give them the benefit of the doubt, and they never fail to disappoint

They literally have mastered the art of making steaming piles of **** at this stage

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

No.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

Looks good to me , that prison yard scene builds the tension really well given it's daylight.
    The rest just looks like carnage on an epic scale.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,977 ✭✭✭HandsomeBob

Fox Hound wrote: »
    I like Rob Zombies Take on the Halloween series, it was messy at times, But I like the tone of all his movies, something oddly crazy about them,

I like the fact they are starting fresh with this one and ignoring all the other sequels, thats a plus in my book,

This will probably be a soft reboot of the first one, as it will hit the same beats as the first movie and definitly have some call backs,

Ill defo watch it and hope for the best

I liked what Zombie did upon first viewings but I found as I watched more of his library, I became more irritated by his style and use of the samey characters.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,198 ✭✭✭artvanderlay

It looks pretty good, I must say. I don't think they will take the Scream route....John Carpenter gave David Gordon Green/Danny McBride this advice

https://screenrant.com/john-carpenter-halloween-2018-advice-relentless/

which they seem to have taken.

Ok, so at the end of Halloween, Michael had been shot 6 times by Dr. Loomis, fell off the balcony and then disappeared. If this is a direct sequel, then when did they capture him? Soon after or was he on the run for a while (possibly killing more)? I wonder will they address this. Also, Michael is now 60, so will he be fit enough to do all this killing, given that he has been chained up/catatonic for 40 years? I hope they do address all these issues, because I can't get with it otherwise if I'm thinking about them :P

Hopefully there is proper ending to this series where either Michael or Laurie's character dies and thats it, the winner skips off into the sunset, job done.

If it's left open for a sequel with Jason Voorhees or Kruger or or those tornado sharks i might be interested, i hope the annoying teenagers get killed off quickly and its left with Laurie and Michael to battle it out to the finish.

But seriously lets have an ending to this long running saga because it deserves it.

Michael will leave the franchise in the hands of his apprentice by the end of the film. :pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 14,846 ✭✭✭✭Liam McPoyle

Hopefully there is proper ending to this series where either Michael or Laurie's character dies and thats it, the winner skips off into the sunset, job done.

If it's left open for a sequel with Jason Voorhees or Kruger or or those tornado sharks i might be interested, i hope the annoying teenagers get killed off quickly and its left with Laurie and Michael to battle it out to the finish.

But seriously lets have an ending to this long running saga because it deserves it.

Didn't he get decapitated at the end of H20?

Its been so long since i saw it i can't even remember, sure isn't he always been decapitated or shot or chopped up, he keeps coming back!!!:p

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

They should have called this Halloween Part II. Something to make it clear that it's ignoring all the sequels. Otherwise I can see a lot of people dismissing it as another reboot or being very confused.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,899 ✭✭✭✭Tony EH

This is just weird.

I really dislike this idea of scrunching up an entire film series - as bad as most of it was, let's be honest - and just chucking it in the bin and going off in another direction.

But, this seems to be...ok, strangely enough.

Problem for me is that I have a particular soft spot for 'Halloween II', as it's one of my childhood horrors. And I have a guilty love for 'Halloween III', a film so ridiculous in concept and execution, but also one that's ridiculously entertaining. I love that dumb movie.

I'll probably end up watching this, out of curiosity, but I feel oddly uncomfortable about it all.

The machine has made this kind of thing ok unfortunately in recent years....."the soft reboot" where films can be retconned with one line of contempt such as in this trailer.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,300 ✭✭✭✭razorblunt

I think I read before he was supposed to have swapped places with a police office or medic before that.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭thebull85

Thats what we all thought, but the sequel to H20 told the story that it was actually a paramedic wearing the mask that got decapitated, while the crafty Michael made his escape.

Advertisement