Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Distance tracking, but for football

• 09-06-2018 6:47pm
    Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭

Not sure if this is the right area for this but figured here would have the best variety of users of trackers.

After having a few Samsung watches (and losing my gear s3 frontier :( ) I picked up a xiaomi AMAZFIT 2 a couple of weeks back . I've used it for a couple of games of 5 a side now and not sure how accurate the stats are it's giving me. Its got GPS so I get a nice little compact heat map :) but it's way out of kilter with what one of the other lads is getting with his Apple watch (not sure which one, possible an early one) , though I'm fairly sure it's his that out of whack more than mine.

Today its showing I covered 4.10km, whereas his is saying 11,which I just can't see being anyway accurate. Premier league players cover something like 9-11 in 90mins on a full pitch. I've heard him talking before and it seems his watch generally gives him figures of 10km and above. He'd do similar amounts of running in a game to me.

So, long story slightly longer, is anyone else using devices to measure 5 a side games or similar stuff and what sort of figures do you get, what devices do you find the most accurate.

I'm tempted to pick up another device and Wear both to see how they compare.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭Wottle

Not sure if this is the right area for this but figured here would have the best variety of users of trackers.

After having a few Samsung watches (and losing my gear s3 frontier :( ) I picked up a xiaomi AMAZFIT 2 a couple of weeks back . I've used it for a couple of games of 5 a side now and not sure how accurate the stats are it's giving me. Its got GPS so I get a nice little compact heat map :) but it's way out of kilter with what one of the other lads is getting with his Apple watch (not sure which one, possible an early one) , though I'm fairly sure it's his that out of whack more than mine.

Today its showing I covered 4.10km, whereas his is saying 11,which I just can't see being anyway accurate. Premier league players cover something like 9-11 in 90mins on a full pitch. I've heard him talking before and it seems his watch generally gives him figures of 10km and above. He'd do similar amounts of running in a game to me.

So, long story slightly longer, is anyone else using devices to measure 5 a side games or similar stuff and what sort of figures do you get, what devices do you find the most accurate.

I'm tempted to pick up another device and Wear both to see how they compare.

I've used my Garmin and get between 3 and 4k. 11k no way.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,414 ✭✭✭✭Murph_D

Wottle wrote: »
    I've used my Garmin and get between 3 and 4k. 11k no way.

Consumer grade GPS devices are almost guaranteed to give wildly inaccurate results in something like a football game. If they give poor results to someone running consistently in a loop around a 400m track, they’d give terrible results for someone doing little runs in every direction around a full size pitch, never mind a 5-a-side pitch.

• Registered Users Posts: 38,247 ✭✭✭✭Guy:Incognito

Tbh I was quite happy with the measure it's given and very impressed with the watch overall.

The 4.10km was for a game that lasted 1hr 11mons. Got 3.63km for a 55 min game last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,221 ✭✭✭Wottle

Murph_D wrote: »
    Consumer grade GPS devices are almost guaranteed to give wildly inaccurate results in something like a football game. If they give poor results to someone running consistently in a loop around a 400m track, they’d give terrible results for someone doing little runs in every direction around a full size pitch, never mind a 5-a-side pitch.

Agreed regarding accuracy, think somewhere between 3 and 4k is fair though, not 11k!

Side note, raced a mile on the indoor track in blanch and turned off my GPS, the watch must have used my cadence or sth, came in at 0.99.

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭OttoPilot

Tbh I was quite happy with the measure it's given and very impressed with the watch overall.

The 4.10km was for a game that lasted 1hr 11mons. Got 3.63km for a 55 min game last week.

Sounds about right for a 5 a side. There are better, more accurate trackers for ball sports, just Google "football GPS". One of the ones I came across was €169 all in for the gadget and app. But I would stick with one method/gadget consistently to allow comparability.

• Advertisement
Advertisement