Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Upgrade

• 04-04-2018 3:46pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

upgradeposterheader-1.jpg
    “UPGRADE is a thrilling and hyper violent vision of the future from the producers of GET OUT and THE PURGE, and the creator of SAW and INSIDIOUS.

After his wife is killed during a brutal mugging that also leaves him paralyzed, Grey Trace (Logan Marshall Green, SPIDER-MAN: HOMECOMING, PROMETHEUS) is approached by a billionaire inventor with an experimental cure that will “upgrade” his body. The cure – an Artificial Intelligence implant called STEM – gives Grey physical abilities beyond anything experienced and the ability to relentlessly claim vengeance against those who murdered his wife and left him for dead.”

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,431 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Looks like fun. :)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 3,246 ✭✭✭judeboy101

100% popcorn with a healthy dollop of nacho cheese. My kinda movie.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

Released in the USA this week. Seems to be a positive reaction...
    https://www.rottentomatoes.com/m/upgrade_2018/
    85%
    Average Rating: 7/10
    Reviews Counted: 73
    Fresh: 62
    Rotten: 11

AUDIENCE SCORE
    91% liked it
    Average Rating: 4.3/5
    User Ratings: 785

Any Irish release date?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,864 ✭✭✭EoinMcLovin

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Any Irish release date?

31st of August

• Advertisement

judeboy101 wrote: »
    Any Irish release date?

31st of August
    It'll be on TG4 by then!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 19,306 ✭✭✭✭Drumpot

I really enjoyed that. Knew nothing of it and was sort of Meh about watching it.... I sort of called one or two things early enough but I didn’t care.. it’s nice to still be surprised once in a while...

Very close to when I saw John wick, not so much in action but just enjoyment .... 8/10

Drumpot wrote: »
    I really enjoyed that. Knew nothing of it and was sort of Meh about watching it.... I sort of called one or two things early enough but I didn’t care.. it’s nice to still be surprised once in a while...

Very close to when I saw John wick, not so much in action but just enjoyment .... 8/10
    I'm assuming its not in cinema yet? ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 12,368 ✭✭✭✭Snake Plisken

Really enjoyed it a solid 8/10. I could see the twist from the ambush scene. Some great fight scenes. A well made movie. Ending leave room for a sequel!
    btw I am embarrassed to say that I thought the Lead was Tom Hardy for a lot of the film as yet man is the spit of him :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,295 ✭✭✭p to the e

Not only does the lead look like Tom Hardy but, is it just me or does the plot of Venom seem similar aswell?

• This is the best sci-fi movie I can remember in a long time. The best one before it I can think of is The Matrix. While you think you have figured out the plot quite early you haven't, that is purposely done I believe. Its smooth, without todays painful juvenile humor, engaging, funny without forcing jokes, directed with brilliance, acted with style by the lead. The story is relevant and potentially a real one of the future which gives it the kind of seriousness that something like Terminator delivered, because you can actually picture it happening.
    The only flaw I can find is the secondary characters weren't fleshed out enough, this should have been 30-40 minutes longer if not more to really make it a classic on the level of Blade Runner or Aliens. It should have had another $50m in it to have more consistent props and surroundings. There could easily have been a much bigger world created around this to make it incredibly memorable.

But overall I am impressed and wish I had 'scene' it in an empty cinema!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 965 ✭✭✭verycool

Ruined this for myself by watching the redband trailer which
    shows the only gore in the whole thing.

If I could give it a fitting title I'd call it 2001: A RoboWick Odyssey.

First twenty / thirty minutes seem to crawl by.

Solid 6/10.

• Registered Users Posts: 19,790 ✭✭✭✭2smiggy

8/10 for me, good story, some decent action, and kept me enterained through out. A plesent surprise as I'd heard nothing at all about it !!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,494 ✭✭✭JackieChang

Excellent film. One of those films where you just say WOW when the credits start to roll.

• Registered Users Posts: 43,756 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Yep, really enjoyed this. Some nice little injections of humour (
    I'm not a ninja
    ) into some genuinely excellent action sequences. Whannell is a solid writer when he's not throwing out generic horror movie sequels.

Logan Marshall Green was very good, but could only see "Tom Hardy v2" for most of it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭reni10

Enjoyed this too and thought the ending was very well done which brought it up a notch for me

I had pretty high expectations for this film before all these replies! :)

Any confirmed release date for Ireland? Really wanna see this in cinema

• Advertisement

Basq wrote: »

Logan Marshall Green was very good, but could only see "Tom Hardy v2" for most of it.

He's known as "budget Tom Hardy"

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Logan Marshall Green is indeed very good in it, the cinematography is superb, probably the best I have scene since the John Wick films, good sense of humour too and the ending is very well done. Found it a bit slow at times but overall it's well worth a watch.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,984 ✭✭✭Venom

Best movie I've seen in a long time. Great acting and interesting take on a society that's closer to ours than most other sci-fi fare. Absolutely loved the ending which works so well and looking back on the plot, you can see all the little breadcrumbs leading up to it along with the final music score which fits it so perfectly.

8/10

Something I didn't get.

If Stem was the one pulling all the strings through the movie, why where the hitmen trying to kill our main character ? I mean wasn't that really risky, having our main character in all sorts of dangerous situations where he might die. Even losing all ability to move, just outside the house of the hacker. . I presume Stem was always in control, but it seemed like a massive risk all so the main character would lose his marbles and Stem could take over. .

• Registered Users Posts: 55,431 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

^^ I think one of the bad guys said
    that he was under instructions to incapacitate him, not kill him. Outside the apartment, it was outside of Stem's control - Keen was trying to shut him down remotely.

Mr E wrote: »
    ^^ I think one of the bad guys said
    that he was under instructions to incapacitate him, not kill him. Outside the apartment, it was outside of Stem's control - Keen was trying to shut him down remotely.

Ah, thanks I think that has helped me get the answer to my own question. .

Didn't the hacker "Set stem free" on some level ? Perhaps Keen had done everything stem said but had protection systems in place to keep some sort of control over Stem . . So before the hacker stem needed the host to give him permission to do things, stem could be shut down remotely and Keen could monitor where he went.

siblers wrote: »
    probably the best I have scene since the John Wick films, good sense of humour too .

Which bits had humour in it? You're the second person I've heard saying this, can't figure it out! Is it that one ninja line?

• Registered Users Posts: 43,756 ✭✭✭✭Basq

Is it that one ninja line?
    That's the one I remember.. but there was a few witty moments.. not LOL but just little injections of humour during some action scenes.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,330 ✭✭✭✭siblers

Which bits had humour in it? You're the second person I've heard saying this, can't figure it out! Is it that one ninja line?

The ninja line was the main LOL moment but I found a lot of the inner dialogue during the action scenes to be quite humorous.

• Advertisement

Basq wrote: »

He's known as "budget Tom Hardy"
    At this stage, tom hardy is the budget tom hardy

Advertisement