Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

The 'women aren't funny' myth

• 03-06-2018 7:34am
    Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭

Saw this come up on a guardian article recently. The first thing I thought was this is complete crap. Anyway, I got thinking about it a bit and actually couldn't think of one female comedian I genuinely find funny.
    Perhaps its just me. However I'd love to hear others opinions, because from a deep societal and psychological perspective this interests me.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 18,464 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Rachel Paris is very funny.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

With brains a quarter the size of ours, it's tough for them..

• Registered Users Posts: 3,507 ✭✭✭lufties

tedpan wrote: »
    With brains a quarter the size of ours, it's tough for them..
    Ok less of this please.

_Brian wrote: »
    Rachel Paris is very funny.
    Yes, I didn't start this thread to pick who's funny and who's not from either gender. There are certainly less female comedians that male, and I'm sure it plays a factor.

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 4,627 Mod ✭✭✭✭tedpan

lufties wrote:
    Ok less of this please.

Haven't you seen anchorman?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

lufties wrote: »
    Ok less of this please.

I took that to be a pertinent joke.

I think this is an interesting question. It might not be possible to explore once the Una Mullahy bots arrive.

I know funny women, but do agree that on average men seem to make better comedians than women. If I go full doubter on it I sometimes wonder do I think that because I'm a man or that men generally have set the narrative in almost all aspects of life for centuries in a way that's hard to step back from. Then I listen to some terrrible women-only comedy special, cringe think that they're just not funny.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,273 ✭✭✭✭salmocab

Sarah pascoe is funny on some panel shows I’ve seen her on, not sure if she even does stand up but there is a massive difference between the two.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,188 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

tedpan wrote: »
    Haven't you seen anchorman?

giphy.gif

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

boombang wrote: »
    Ok less of this please.

I took that to be a pertinent joke.

I think this is an interesting question. It might not be possible to explore once the Una Mullahy bots arrive.

I know funny women, but do agree that on average men seem to make better comedians than women. If I go full doubter on it I sometimes wonder do I think that because I'm a man or that men generally have set the narrative in almost all aspects of life for centuries in a way that's hard to step back from. Then I listen to some terrrible women-only comedy special, cringe think that they're just not funny.
    I was just getting in there before the thought police came along :)
    Yes I agree, if I'm honest with myself, I don't know any women I find funny, and find myself fake laughing. Its also one of the reasons I dread going on dates sometimes, as I hate being fake.
    On the other hand, women find women hilarious generally. I don't often see groups of ladies sitting in grim silence.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,257 ✭✭✭✭lawred2

Ok less of this please.

Are you sure you're capable of detecting humour?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,188 ✭✭✭✭TheValeyard

Women can be funny in roles on stage, films, tv, shows, etc. But im struggling to think on mainstream popular stand ups. Ive seen two in the laughter lounge that bombed. Suppose, like all things, comedy is selective.

Fcuk Putin. Glory to Ukraine!

lawred2 wrote: »
    Ok less of this please.

Are you sure you're capable of detecting humour?
    I was just pandering to moderaters so they don't detect that deep down I'm really a chauvinist pig :-D

Women can be funny in roles on stage, films, tv, shows, etc. But im struggling to think on mainstream popular stand ups. Ive seen two in the laughter lounge that bombed. Suppose, like all things, comedy is selective.
    Forget about stand up for a while, and think of your social circle.

Why should that make any difference?

JayZeus wrote: »

Because there are funny male and female comedians out there. If you look at your social circle, who are funnier in a general sense? In my experience, it has never been the ladies. I'm just interested really. Actually I did find my ex GF's 2 year old niece hilarious. she used do things that would make you laugh out loud.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,108 ✭✭✭boombang

JayZeus wrote: »

Also, and this might be unpopular to say, but the humour on screen in most cases will be written by the writers, who might not be women. I know there's a skill to commedic acting, but funny women on screen might be the result of male writers.

• Registered Users Posts: 18,464 ✭✭✭✭_Brian

Yes, I didn't start this thread to pick who's funny and who's not from either gender. There are certainly less female comedians that male, and I'm sure it plays a factor.

Wel why did you start it then ?

You said you can’t think of one female comedian that’s funny. There are plenty, I was just pointing out one.

Maybe you just wanted to start a rabble, rabble, rabble women are the lesser sex thread that AH seems intent on continuing ?

• Registered Users Posts: 16,066 ✭✭✭✭iamwhoiam

Victoria Wood was one of the funniest comedians for me .RIP Victoria

• Registered Users Posts: 2,172 ✭✭✭EPAndlee

357kspf.jpg

EPAndlee wrote: »
    357kspf.jpg
    That is quite true. Especially questionable American 'comedians'

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,351 ✭✭✭Littlehorny

I think Joan Rivers is the only female comedian who's stand up routine can go against most of her male peers. Apart from her there is no one else that stands out.

_Brian wrote: »

Wel why did you start it then ?

You said you can’t think of one female comedian that’s funny. There are plenty, I was just pointing out one.

Maybe you just wanted to start a rabble, rabble, rabble women are the lesser sex thread that AH seems intent on continuing ?
    To question why men are funnier than women by and large (Read OP). No amount of mental gymnastics or virtue signaling will change that fact. Of course, people like you will shout me down and criticize me as you have nothing else to contribute.

• Registered Users Posts: 26,283 ✭✭✭✭Eric Cartman

I cant think of any good standup female comics , my biggest issue with ever seeing female comdey is how seperatist it is, a lot of female standup comics go right for the low hanging fruit and make jokes about experiences only women understand or spend their set mocking men , they target laughs only from otger women and wonder why a room goes silent

I cant think of any good standup female comics , my biggest issue with ever seeing female comdey is how seperatist it is, a lot of female standup comics go right for the low hanging fruit and make jokes about experiences only women understand or spend their set mocking men , they target laughs only from otger women and wonder why a room goes silent
    The same could be said for the likes of Bill Burr though, appealing mainly to a male audience

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

If I think about comedic actors then there a lot of women I find funny. Any of the women that have come from SNL in recent years have been funny (arguably more funny than the men on that show) I know SNL isn't that funny but it has had a few great sketches in the last few years and they have involved the women. Kristen Wigg, Mia Rudolf, Amy Phoeler, Tina Fey, Aidy Bryant, Cecily Strong, Kate McKinnon, Vanessa Bryer. All very funny actors and writers both in and out of SNL.

There is a also a lot of funny female stand ups. I might see a female stand up routine that is absolutely hilarious but then see another one by them that is not funny at all. I think that is the same for all comedians though. Its just when you have the expectation that women are not funny you will hone in on the not so funny more. Michell Wolf's recent white house roast was hilarious. Cecily Strong did one a few years before which was also very funny. Katherine Ryan has done great stand up. Sarah Millican, Nina Conti, Sara Pascoe all have done good (as well as bad) stand up routines. Dina Hasham is a comedian I discovered very recently. Not very well know but very funny. Saw a video roast battle video recently where she went up against a guy. While he was just mean she was genuinely funny.

I also happen to like Maeve Higgins so that might undermine everything I just said :pac: I just don't think people get her subtle awkward story telling comedy :cool:

And sure there is a lot of vagina jokes in female comedy but I think that is more the industry. When one woman makes some jokes like that and the industry find it works then similar comedian will get more work because they will see it as a safe bet. But I think its changing. I think we will start to see a lot more funny female comedians coming up over the next few years with different styles of comedy.

If I think about comedic actors then there a lot of women I find funny. Any of the women that have come from SNL in recent years have been funny (arguably more funny than the men on that show) I know SNL isn't that funny but it has had a few great sketches in the last few years and they have involved the women. Kristen Wigg, Mia Rudolf, Amy Phoeler, Tina Fey, Aidy Bryant, Cecily Strong, Kate McKinnon, Vanessa Bryer. All very funny actors and writers both in and out of SNL.

There is a also a lot of funny female stand ups. I might see a female stand up routine that is absolutely hilarious but then see another one by them that is not funny at all. I think that is the same for all comedians though. Its just when you have the expectation that women are not funny you will hone in on the not so funny more. Michell Wolf's recent white house roast was hilarious. Cecily Strong did one a few years before which was also very funny. Katherine Ryan has done great stand up. Sarah Millican, Nina Conti, Sara Pascoe all have done good (as well as bad) stand up routines. Dina Hasham is a comedian I discovered very recently. Not very well know but very funny. Saw a video roast battle video recently where she went up against a guy. While he was just mean she was genuinely funny.

I also happen to like Maeve Higgins so that might undermine everything I just said :pac: I just don't think people get her subtle awkward story telling comedy :cool:

And sure there is a lot of vagina jokes in female comedy but I think that is more the industry. When one woman makes some jokes like that and the industry find it works then similar comedian will get more work because they will see it as a safe bet. But I think its changing. I think we will start to see a lot more funny female comedians coming up over the next few years with different styles of comedy.

I hope we see more female comedians too. However, I guess the point of this thread was regarding the general public. In everday life I never meet funny or comical women, or very rarely do. Why is that? Yes I'm sure I have my shortcomings, but all the introspection in the world doesn't change my observations.

I agree that its a tough topic, because its uncomfortable for some, perhaps like an unspoken truth.

• Registered Users Posts: 847 ✭✭✭WoolyJumper

I hope we see more female comedians too. However, I guess the point of this thread was regarding the general public. In everday life I never meet funny or comical women, or very rarely do. Why is that? Yes I'm sure I have my shortcomings, but all the introspection in the world doesn't change my observations.

I agree that its a tough topic, because its uncomfortable for some, perhaps like an unspoken truth.

Wow, really? Most of my friends are female and most of them are really funny (at least I think so) Granted I'm a gay man so maybe the dynamics are different. But I find a lot of women (and men) in my every day life very funny Even just in work where there is big mix of people and we tend to get through the day cracking jokes (not me, i'm not funny :o). There is probably more women than men in the office but I don't notice the straight guys laughing any less. Probably the funniest person in the office is a women in her early 60s...and not funny in the patronising way we tend to find older women funny. But just a genuinely funny person who you know loves it when she has the whole room laughing.

• Registered Users Posts: 877 ✭✭✭Arbie

OP, what's the list of male comedians you find funny? I bet you'll find a fair bit of disagreement over it as comedy is so subjective.

Regardless of gender there are surely very few comedians/comedic actors who are consistently funny.

I agree with WoolyJumper, some of the funniest people I know are women of all ages. My niece comes out with some really dry one liners. My aunt has brilliant stories. A very quiet friend can tell jokes that will have you in tears laughing and not a swear word or mention of vaginas. Maybe the men you know appear funnier because you share similar experiences, so you're biased from the start.

Anyway, give us 10 male comedians you like.

Wow, really?  Most of my friends are female and most of them are really funny (at least I think so)  Granted I'm a gay man so maybe the dynamics are different.  But I find a lot of women (and men) in my every day life very funny  Even just in work where there is big mix of people and we tend to get through the day cracking jokes (not me, i'm not funny :o).  There is probably more women than men in the office but I don't notice the straight guys laughing any less.  Probably the funniest person in the office is a women in her early 60s...and not funny in the patronising way we tend to find older women funny.  But just a genuinely funny person who you know loves it when she has the whole room laughing.
    Perhaps its just me then. I'd be interested to get a vox pop.

• Advertisement

Arbie wrote: »
    OP, what's the list of male comedians you find funny? I bet you'll find a fair bit of disagreement over it as comedy is so subjective.

Regardless of gender there are surely very few comedians/comedic actors who are consistently funny.

I agree with WoolyJumper, some of the funniest people I know are women of all ages. My niece comes out with some really dry one liners. My aunt has brilliant stories. A very quiet friend can tell jokes that will have you in tears laughing and not a swear word or mention of vaginas. Maybe the men you know appear funnier because you share similar experiences, so you're biased from the start.

Anyway, give us 10 male comedians you like.
    I think comparing comedians sort of dissuades from the topic a bit, as ironically I'm not into stand up bar a few like Richard proyer, George carlin, Bill Burr, even our own Tommy T. I also think Pat short is a comic genius.
     Think comedy shows, all the greats, Ted, Blackadder, Only fools, Fawlty etc have been predominantly male. Perhaps its a Patriarchy thing, but women in these role probably wouldn't capture the same audience.

Advertisement