Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Vaping / E-smoking former Rothman Smokers

Options
  • 28-05-2018 9:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 351 ✭✭

Hi,

I'm asking on behalf of my father who has been smoking Rothmans since the late 70's. I think he smokes between 20 and 40 a day. Recently he was talking to a friend who was also a Rothmans smoker but is now vaping instead. He has been off the cigarettes for 3 months now and is very happy with it. As a result my father visited the local vape shop and is now on about buying a €45 vaporizer. The guy in the shop said that there are no liquids that are the equivalent of Rothmans, but my father was under the impression that there are such liquids.

He's really fussy when it comes to brands and wont even smoke packets of Rothmans brought back to him from abroad. As a result I am of the opinion that if he's going to give e-smoking / vaping a go he needs to do it right. I was wondering if any former Rothmans Smokers who can relate to what I've written about him can offer me/him some advice as to what he should be looking for / asking about before he purchases. I've never smoked myself but I know enough about it to know that he has to make his own decisions about it, but he has asked me to research a little for him in this case.

Thanks for your help!
    Barry

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,109 ✭✭✭TomOnBoard

BarraOG wrote: »
    Hi,

I'm asking on behalf of my father who has been smoking Rothmans since the late 70's. I think he smokes between 20 and 40 a day. Recently he was talking to a friend who was also a Rothmans smoker but is now vaping instead. He has been off the cigarettes for 3 months now and is very happy with it. As a result my father visited the local vape shop and is now on about buying a €45 vaporizer. The guy in the shop said that there are no liquids that are the equivalent of Rothmans, but my father was under the impression that there are such liquids.

He's really fussy when it comes to brands and wont even smoke packets of Rothmans brought back to him from abroad. As a result I am of the opinion that if he's going to give e-smoking / vaping a go he needs to do it right. I was wondering if any former Rothmans Smokers who can relate to what I've written about him can offer me/him some advice as to what he should be looking for / asking about before he purchases. I've never smoked myself but I know enough about it to know that he has to make his own decisions about it, but he has asked me to research a little for him in this case.

Thanks for your help!
    Barry

Is he reasonably handy with doing DIY things? If so, I'd recommend he stays away from the vape shop and mixes his own juice. A site like
    Ok Smokey in UK has all the gear. Look around for such sites with good user reviews.

• Registered Users Posts: 37 Rubberella

Some more experienced folk will point u in the right direction. Plenty of tobacco flavoured e-liquids but not tried any myself. Seem to have managed on more sweet juices so far. Don't know how closely they replicate the stinkies. I know Hangsen do plenty of tobacco liquids, even one advertised as being close to Rothmans. Brings back memories for me. Rothmans never caught on with me, even in my long cigarette phase where I went thru a few packs of Rothmans Royals 120s.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭youdipstick

You will never find a liquid that is close to any brand of ciggy,I have spent 100's trying to find that out.
    I love sweet vapes,especially with fruits,I also tend to love bakery/candy/menthol & maybe mix them all in a recipe.

The first thing you need is a set-up to vape the liquid,this set-up is well known among beginners & experienced vapors,I still use it,you vape it like you would with a ciggy.

https://vapewild.eu/aspire-zelos-50w-vape-kit/

If you decide to purchase,come back here first for more info on what to buy,like spare coils & liquid,your Dad will need 18mg strength of Nicotine in his liquids,this will take the cravings for a fag away.

Good luck with convincing him...:D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 509 ✭✭✭chipfox

i have to agree. you cannot replicate the taste of smoke so nothing is every really close.

my da was the exact same. said he wouldn't bother unless i could replicate "clan" pipe tobacco. now he won't vape anything that isn't sugar cookie or cheesecake

• Registered Users Posts: 1,846 ✭✭✭dball

Hi Barry,
    Ive been off the cigarettes a few years now and i've always watched this thread on boards as its what got me off them in the first place. Thanks you boardsies - great advice on here all the time

The only way your father is going to move to vape is to consider the taste and throat hit a new brand of cigarette. You said in your post that he is very fussy and wont even smoke a Rothmans brought in from another country - Its going to be a tough move for him

My father is (was) a Sweet Afton cigarette smoker and he is cursing the Players he has had to smoke for the past 3 or 4 years - since they stopped making Sweet Afton.
    Ive given up trying to get him to move to vapour.

My advice if get the strongest nicotene available & a tobacco flavour to go with it. My memory is that Rothmans delivered a very strong throat hit - So you have to look at a high VG or PG - Not sure which it is.

Maybe someone else can advise here.

If you are going to succeed in this he need to get satisfaction from his new vape (his new digital cigarette)
    Flavour is important - but possibly not as important as throat hit and nicotine content.

If this is to be successful - after a few weeks he can start looking at ice cream and creme bruleee flavours - lets get him off the stinkies first and deliver a high (ish) nicotine and tobacco flavour to get the ball rolling.

Perhaps someone else can add to this.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 322 ✭✭Brae100

Get him a decent RY4 for starters. If he is serious about quitting the cigs he will give vaping a chance and will forget about Rothmans and be vaping cherry cola or similar in a few weeks. If he's not serious, he will just use the lack of Rothman flavour as an excuse to continue smoking.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,555 ✭✭✭youdipstick

PG carries the flavour & throat hit...but can be a harsh vape if the ratio of PG/VG is not mixed right.

VG gives a smooth & cloudier vape.

70pg/30vg is great for MTL,other ratios will suit others better,like 60pg/40vg or 50pg/50vg.

I would not recommend going higher than 70pg or higher than 50vg if you are after a good throat hit & flavour.

This is overwhelming info for new vapors but you will learn it,I did & a whole lot of others did as well:D:D

A smoker must want to give up or it's just a waste of time.

I smoked for over 40 years & the first vape satisfied me with the same throat hit as I was getting from a ciggy without all those toxins.

Advertisement