Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

help uncover engine number

• 29-05-2018 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭

can anyone help me out here?

I am trying to read the engine number from under this crud ?

I believe Nital solution will make it come up, but I dont know where to get that

Any other solutions I could put on it to make it appear ?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,503 ✭✭✭TrailerBob

Try an engine degreaser first.. Jizer is very good, but any similar product from a motor factor will help remove oil deposits that are hiding in the recesses

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

thanks - I've been out with brake fluid and an old tooth brush.
    Tiz a bit better but its not fully legible yet.

I'll get some Jizer in halfords tomorrow and see how I get on.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭Type 17

Give it a clean with wire wool (PS: Wire wool breaks up as you use it, so don't let the fragments fall into any sensitive areas like oil or electrical - use a drop-cloth or a magnet if required).

Use a smartphone torch, held at a really shallow angle, to cast shadows in the digits.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,862 ✭✭✭RobAMerc

so - I went to halfords and picked up an engine degreaser but not the one recommended above

I went to the counter and asked sheepishly if they had Jizz!

She decided not to type it into the computer but proceeded to ask her colleague who asked me to repeat it loudly

turns out they have Jizer - pronounced JAI ZER, a quick look around confirmed my worst fears and everyone in earshot was chuckling away.

Anyway - it seems to be doing the trick but I am sorry I didnt just buy the Gunk I had in my hand!

Advertisement