Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Waterford GAA thread - mod warning post #1 and #51

• 30-05-2018 7:12pm
    Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭IanVW

New thread lads😊😊 Any update on injuries for this weekends game?

Mod edit: Given how the last thread descended into chaos, we are going to leave that closed and start afresh

Welcome to the Waterford GAA discussion thread.

This is consistently the most active thread don the GAA forum. As a result, discussion can get quite heated. But there are certain things posters must realise are simply not OK to post:

- Personal abuse of anyone be they other posters, players, managers, referees, pundits etc. Any personal abuse will result in an infraction or a ban.

- Rumours about players'/managers'/anyone's personal lives. This should be self explanatory. Apart from being a dickish thing to do, it can lead to legal trouble for Boards.

- Trolling. Again, self explanatory. Trolls will be banned for a long time.

- Accusations of trolling. Report a post if you suspect it to be trolling. Do not call a troll out on thread as this will be considered back seat modding.

- Speculation into the identity of another poster. This is a site-bannable offence.

This list is not exhaustive. Either myself or another mod may add to this as we see fit. Just because a certain behaviour isn't listed, doesn't mean you can't be banned for it. The general Boards.ie rule of Don't be a Dick always applies.

If you feel a post breaks the rules, simply click this underneath the post in question to report the post and a mod will deal with it as they see fit.

So be civil to each other and happy posting.

Given that the thread regularly descending into tit for tat insults between posters, From now on, it won't be a card but a ban straight away for anything like this. The mod warning is clear in the first post but yet people still ignore it.
    Also, I'd like to remind people of the ban on discussing players'/managers'/officials' private lives without any substance. You can be getting into libelous territory there. So a zero tolerance policy will be enforced as well.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 37,552 ✭✭✭✭PTH2009

IanVW wrote: »
    New thread lads😊😊 Any update on injuries for this weekends game?

http://www.wlrfm.com/2018/05/30/60349/

Going by WLR it sounds like Noel Connors, Aussie and Pauric won't make it sadly

Sunday is a mammoth task for us and a win would be one of the biggest in our hurling history. A win could be too much to expect and id be content with a good performance from whatever team lines out for us. I'm sick of travelling down from Limerick depressed

• Registered Users Posts: 969 ✭✭✭cul beag

Socky
    Kenny
    Shane Fives
    Noelie
    Conor Gleeson
    Aussie
    Phillip Mahoney
    Barron/Dunford
    Foran
    Devine
    Brick
    Kearney
    Stephen Bennett
    Curran

That’s about all we have left! Tommy Ryan, Maurice(if fit?)Hogan, McNulty, Dillon. Roche, Keating.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,810 ✭✭✭Cake Man

I'd be inclined to start Tommy Ryan, he's usually good for a goal and a few scores and we need a bit of an injection of pace in the forwards to run at the Tipp defence. I can't see us outpointing Tipp so to have any hope, we'd be needing a few goals.

Is there any positives that can be taken from last Sunday at all? Off the top of my head:
    1) 2-18 isn't actually too bad scoring, particularly given how the game went and having had to reshuffle/reorganise every 10mins with the injuries sustained. I wouldn't say we particularly played all that well either and missed a few frees/easy enough scoring chances (from what I can remember listening on WLR anyway). It's not as if they were late goals to put a bit of respect on the scoreboard either as they came at times where we were still in the game. Looking at all the other results from both Munster and Leinster so far, it would seem 2-18 is a decent enough total to put up anyway.
    It's just at the other end where we look to have struggled. 2-27 is a hefty total to ship especially given our defence was always thought to be one of our strengths. Only Offaly have conceded more in their losses to Galway and Wexford, which isn't much of a surprise.

2) Devine and Tommy Ryan goal threats - Devine broke the ball down well and got past two Clare defenders. He probably should have got it past Tuohy in the Clare goal but Maurice was on hand to finish but it at least continues to show Devine can create goal chances and is one of our best hopes of raising a green flag. Ryan took his goal well and again demonstrated his pace to trouble defences.

Other than that, there's not a whole lot else to be optimistic about. Even with a full deck and with momentum behind us, we couldn't beat Tipp in championship the last few years so it's difficult to see a win on Sunday.

Cake Man wrote: »
    I'd be inclined to start Tommy Ryan, he's usually good for a goal and a few scores and we need a bit of an injection of pace in the forwards to run at the Tipp defence. I can't see us outpointing Tipp so to have any hope, we'd be needing a few goals.

Is there any positives that can be taken from last Sunday at all? Off the top of my head:
    1) 2-18 isn't actually too bad scoring, particularly given how the game went and having had to reshuffle/reorganise every 10mins with the injuries sustained. I wouldn't say we particularly played all that well either and missed a few frees/easy enough scoring chances (from what I can remember listening on WLR anyway). It's not as if they were late goals to put a bit of respect on the scoreboard either as they came at times where we were still in the game. Looking at all the other results from both Munster and Leinster so far, it would seem 2-18 is a decent enough total to put up anyway.
    It's just at the other end where we look to have struggled. 2-27 is a hefty total to ship especially given our defence was always thought to be one of our strengths. Only Offaly have conceded more in their losses to Galway and Wexford, which isn't much of a surprise.

2) Devine and Tommy Ryan goal threats - Devine broke the ball down well and got past two Clare defenders. He probably should have got it past Tuohy in the Clare goal but Maurice was on hand to finish but it at least continues to show Devine can create goal chances and is one of our best hopes of raising a green flag. Ryan took his goal well and again demonstrated his pace to trouble defences.

Other than that, there's not a whole lot else to be optimistic about. Even with a full deck and with momentum behind us, we couldn't beat Tipp in championship the last few years so it's difficult to see a win on Sunday.

Yes there is an argument to be made for Tommy Ryan starting that’s for sure. To be realistic anything gained at the weekend is a bonus. Hopefully Cork beat limerick thus qualifying them so optimistically if we were to beat limerick and Cork it would give us an outside chance but realistically it’s a huge ask.

• Registered Users Posts: 409 ✭✭enoughtaken

Would anyone be able to put here our panel of players

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭3ships

cul beag wrote: »
    Socky
    Kenny
    Shane Fives
    Noelie
    Conor Gleeson
    Aussie
    Phillip Mahoney
    Barron/Dunford
    Foran
    Devine
    Brick
    Kearney
    Stephen Bennett
    Curran

That’s about all we have left! Tommy Ryan, Maurice(if fit?)Hogan, McNulty, Dillon. Roche, Keating.
    ..plus
    Iggy,midget, MOB,BOH and darragh lyons. Just might have enough for the 26.
    U 21lads ye could call on billy nolan, henley,lyons, molumphy, jack prender. After that ye probably ask a couple of footballers to come up

3ships wrote: »
    ..plus
    Iggy,midget, MOB,BOH and darragh lyons. Just might have enough for the 26.
    U 21lads ye could call on billy nolan, henley,lyons, molumphy, jack prender. After that ye probably ask a couple of footballers to come up

Darragh Lyons is out injured aswell.

If all these guys are out, my team would be
    SOK
    CG
    SF
    IK
    S MC N
    PM
    SK
    JB
    CD
    JD
    SB
    BRICK
    PC
    TD
    TR

If all these guys are out, my team would be
    SOK
    CG
    SF
    IK
    S MC N
    PM
    SK
    JB
    CD
    JD
    SB
    BRICK
    PC
    TD
    TR

On paper it's a decent team

• Registered Users Posts: 578 ✭✭✭puzl

It's definitely a decent team.. the question is whether they can find form as a cohesive team in a couple of training sessions.

Stranger things have happened... I'll always be hopeful..

• Advertisement

Anyone any idea when team will be announced. It was Thursday last week but normally it’s friday night.

Anyone any idea when team will be announced. It was Thursday last week but normally it’s friday night.

Hopefully it will named tonight

• Registered Users Posts: 39,478 ✭✭✭✭KevIRL

Some of the walking wounded took full part in training tonight anyway so fingers crossed

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭IanVW

KevIRL wrote: »
    Some of the walking wounded took full part in training tonight anyway so fingers crossed

Any idea who?:)

Any team news ??

• Registered Users Posts: 285 ✭✭waterfordgirl

I saw on twitter that it would be tomorrow night - I think it was Club Deise that tweeted it

• Registered Users Posts: 1,095 ✭✭✭Gardner

Gleeson and Connors trained

• Registered Users Posts: 2,662 ✭✭✭thesultan

Team O'Keefe
    C Gleeson Fives Connors
    Brick Austin mahoney
    Roche Barron
    Foran mahoney Kearney
    Bennett Devine Curran

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭Deiseen

thesultan wrote: »
    Team O'Keefe
    C Gleeson Fives Connors
    Brick Austin mahoney
    Roche Barron
    Foran mahoney Kearney
    Bennett Devine Curran
    Confirmed?

Team O'Keefe
    C Gleeson Fives Connors
    Brick Austin mahoney
    Roche Barron
    Foran mahoney Kearney
    Bennett Devine Curran

If that is the team, I approve

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭Deiseen

Team O'Keefe
    C Gleeson Fives Connors
    Brick Austin mahoney
    Roche Barron
    Foran mahoney Kearney
    Bennett Devine Curran

If that is the team, I approve
    Hard to believe we can come out with a team that strong after all our injuries.

Does Brick have the legs for defence ??? Good team but I'll wait til the offical announcement

It's all about how we line up, do we go defensive or attack

We have nothing to lose, Go all out attack

• Registered Users Posts: 854 ✭✭✭carq

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Does Brick have the legs for defence ??? Good team but I'll wait til the offical announcement

It's all about how we line up, do we go defensive or attack

We have nothing to lose, Go all out attack

Cant be lumping high ball down onto that forward line like we did in ennis - when foran did come on he was playing corner forward

Would be worried also about brick in defencr and aussies fitness.

Whats the bench looking like? Shanahan make it ?

Jayus a win sunday would prob one of the biggest wins in our Hurling history. If that teamed named earlier is the starting team than (on paper at least) is a pretty good team. Lots of factors though this its Do or die for this Tipp team, they want to prove a point, We hate playing in Limerick and were down TDB who is a very important player for us (i knw he was gone for the AI semi last year and we still one but the rest of the team was on fire that day).

looking forward to Sunday, starting to feel like the Championship now

PTH2009 wrote: »
    Jayus a win sunday would prob one of the biggest wins in our Hurling history. If that teamed named earlier is the starting team than (on paper at least) is a pretty good team. Lots of factors though this its Do or die for this Tipp team, they want to prove a point, We hate playing in Limerick and were down TDB who is a very important player for us (i knw he was gone for the AI semi last year and we still one but the rest of the team was on fire that day).

looking forward to Sunday, starting to feel like the Championship now

Haha you are some man. We play offaly last year in the qualifiers and you predict we'll get beat. This year the whole country has us written off v tipp and you think we might win.

Don't ever change pth2009

Haha you are some man. We play offaly last year in the qualifiers and you predict we'll get beat. This year the whole country has us written off v tipp and you think we might win.

Don't ever change pth2009

Only a bit of banter pth2009. U have us down for a 11 pt defeat on the pools board. I have us down for 9 based on initial reports of injuries. I hope that the 2 of us are way of the mark. I think we’ll rattle Tipp Sunday. Bring it on

• Registered Users Posts: 419 ✭✭JesusRef

still no Mikey Kearney

?? Kearney is named on the team I saw

• Registered Users Posts: 17 Whitenblue93

Any team news yet?

• Registered Users Posts: 582 ✭✭✭IanVW

S O Keeffe
    S Fives
    C Gleeson
    N Connors
    A Gleeson
    P Mahony
    J Barron
    M Walsh
    M Kearney
    S Roche
    DJ Foran
    S Bennett
    T Devine
    P Curran
    P Mahony

Happy enough with that:)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Jjjjjjjbarry

I'm excited after seeing that team!! No sweeper team and we have fire power for points and goals with a mix of height and speed and wrists. If everyone is fit, I'd be confident we'll give Tipp one hell of a battle!! Can't wait now. Wish it was tomorrow!!

This discussion has been closed.
Advertisement