Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Top Gun: Maverick

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 60,284 ✭✭✭✭Agent Coulson

Cruise say it will be called “Top Gun: Maverick.”

'Maverick' will open July 12, 2019.
    Maverick will fly again in summer 2019.

Paramount has set the release date for it's Top Gun sequel as July 12, 2019. Tom Cruise, who once again will play the lead, has said the film will be titled Top Gun: Maverick and that he expected to begin filming by the end of the year.

Oblivion director Joseph Kosinski is circling the sequel to the 1986 hit, which follows fighter pilots as they grapple with drone tech that is making their old style of flying obsolete. Jerry Bruckheimer is returning to produce the sequel, along with Skydance's David Ellison and Cruise.

The original film was directed by the late Tony Scott and also starred Anthony Edwards. It saw Cruise play a hot shot pilot who becomes a student at the most elite fighter pilot school in the world, with the ending suggesting he'd go on to teach there.

So far, the Top Gun sequel has the date to itself. A Spider-Man: Homecoming followup is set for a week earlier, while The Lion King opens a week later.

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/top-gun-maverick-release-date-set-2019-1018374

• Registered Users Posts: 40,291 ✭✭✭✭Gatling

Not holding out high hopes for this ,
    Im thinking stealth remake

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Sultan_of_Ping

• Registered Users Posts: 7,423 ✭✭✭Hande hoche!

Hope at least they throw in a cameo from Val Kilmer.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,167 ✭✭✭B-D-P--

Hollywood has officially ran out of ideas for movies

• Registered Users Posts: 24,149 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

There is now way I'll miss this at the cinema. The original is an awful, awful, film but I've loved it with all my heart since a 9 year old Sleepy first heard the afterburners roar on their F14s!

Sleepy wrote: »
    There is now way I'll miss this at the cinema. The original is an awful, awful, film but I've loved it with all my heart since a 9 year old Sleepy first heard the afterburners roar on their F14s!

It was glorious though ,

F18s will be the hero this time still not holding up for hight hopes but I'm expecting seriously amazing aerial cinematics

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,758 ✭✭✭Pelvis

Wouldn't be surprised if Cruise is flying them himself in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 10,501 ✭✭✭✭Slydice

This thread needs more Danger Zone! :)

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,640 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Gatling wrote: »
    It was glorious though ,

F18s will be the hero this time still not holding up for hight hopes but I'm expecting seriously amazing aerial cinematics

I think they've already said they'll go with the Navy version F-35 C's . Which imo is a shame, the Tomcats were incredibly beautiful planes.

I'd love the Horner but imo i think there's a risk of a PR machine being at play here and them just using the 35's

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Gatling wrote: »
    It was glorious though ,

I doubt you will get anything but ropey CGI :(

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

I rewatched the original a while ago and was surprised by how incomprehensible most of the aerial action was. All just fast cuts, as was Scott's style.

Is Kosinski still directing this?

• Registered Users Posts: 13,304 ✭✭✭✭dastardly00

Top Gun is one of my favourite films ever :o

The new film will probably be awful... but yet I can't help getting excited about it!

Gatling wrote:
    It was glorious though ,

The F14's were always the real stars of the movie!
    I rewatched the original a while ago and was surprised by how incomprehensible most of the aerial action was. All just fast cuts, as was Scott's style.

Is Kosinski still directing this?
    A lot of the aerial footage they had wasn't actually staged for the film, they were granted access to film the Navy pilots going about their normal business. Obviously they assisted with a few shots but IIRC, most of the aerial material wasn't purposely choreographed for the movie.

I'd hope that they'll use real aerial footage again, it'd be a shame to see it go down the CGI route.

So will I wonder will we get an updated Iron Eagle with Louis Gossett Jr returning as Chappy next summer as well.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭Falthyron

Tbf, I preferred the unofficial reboot which came out around five years later starring Charlie Sheen. Much better film, imo!

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 16,635 ✭✭✭✭dr.fuzzenstein

So will I wonder will we get an updated Iron Eagle with Louis Gossett Jr returning as Chappy next summer as well.

I always preferred Iron Eagle.
    The thinking man's Top Gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭Gamb!t

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,030 ✭✭✭thebull85

Hope at least they throw in a cameo from Val Kilmer.

Id go see it for this reason alone.. Iceman

• Advertisement

thebull85 wrote: »
    Id go see it for this reason alone.. Iceman

Can't see val appearing at all ,

After the first he made a lot of claims against cruise and said he would never work with him again.

We could get a son of iceman

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,891 ✭✭✭prinzeugen

I think they've already said they'll go with the Navy version F-35 C's . Which imo is a shame, the Tomcats were incredibly beautiful planes.

I'd love the Horner but imo i think there's a risk of a PR machine being at play here and them just using the 35's

I heard they planned to use F-35 also. Would be interesting as Maverick (Cruise) would not be able to fly them as instructor or otherwise in real life.

The F-18 he could however.

So as posted earlier they will be focusing on modern warfare and the 5th Generation combat jets aka the F35

Which currently isn't in service and isn't a dogfighter or intercepter like the iconic F14 .

I would loved if they used the Red Flag excercises for the aerial combat scenes ,it's the largest flight combat exercise in the world featuring several hundred aircraft flying daily covering everything from surveillance aircraft to heavy bombers

• Registered Users Posts: 1,961 ✭✭✭LionelNashe

Gamb!t wrote: »
    Youtube - Top Gun Anthem

That video is cringeworthy. I thought it was a parody.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,077 ✭✭✭Oasis1974

Wonder if Kelly McGillis will be the love interest from the first Top Gun she's looking seriously haggard now?

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,668 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Oasis1974 wrote: »
    Wonder if Kelly McGillis will be the love interest from the first Top Gun she's looking seriously haggard now?

She made a red carpet appearance last year in which she looked well for her age. Cruise is 5 years younger than her, and a vampire. Having her appear in the film would only draw attention to this.

• Registered Users Posts: 436 ✭✭Sultan_of_Ping

I wonder what odds you can get on a tower being buzzed in the opening scene!!

A truly terrible film, but very entertaining.......the flying, the air combat, the ejection aftermath, and even the way the Fighter Weapons School was presented were atrocious......but great fun.

I think to succeed it needs to be as cheesily quotable as the original.......

.....and as homo-erotic 😁

zgpK3.gif

Yeah, the worst thing they could do is to get too serious about it all. It needs to re-capture that cheesy quotability of the original ("I feel the need...", "your ego is writing checks your body can't cash", "She's lost that lovin' feelin' Goose...")

Sadly, I think that's exactly what Cruise is likely to do though: get too serious about it all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,909 ✭✭✭nix

Sleepy wrote: »
    Yeah, the worst thing they could do is to get too serious about it all. It needs to re-capture that cheesy quotability of the original ("I feel the need...", "your ego is writing checks your body can't cash", "She's lost that lovin' feelin' Goose...")

Sadly, I think that's exactly what Cruise is likely to do though: get too serious about it all.

I predict it will be mission impossible style action in planes, the only thing they will keep from the original will be the name of the movie and some actors for cameo..

• Advertisement

Bring back Tom "Viper"Skeritt I say

Advertisement