Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Gaa suspension

• 30-05-2018 4:25pm
    Registered Users Posts: 9

Wondering if anyone can anyone give me information on how to find out if a player suspension is over in the gaa the person gor a large match ban and now the club want this person to be manager of our adult team. I am afraid if they are still suspended the club could get into trouble

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Exiled1

If your club secretary contacts the body who imposed the suspension, eg. Provincial Council, Co. Board etc the should be able to clarify the relevant dates.
    You must go through your club sec.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Tomc21

Exiled1 wrote: »
    If your club secretary contacts the body who imposed the suspension, eg. Provincial Council, Co. Board etc the should be able to clarify the relevant dates.
    You must go through your club sec.

As a club member I asked at a meeting and was told that the club would take their chance and would not be checking into it

• Registered Users Posts: 4,119 ✭✭✭Gravelly

Tomc21 wrote: »
    As a club member I asked at a meeting and was told that the club would take their chance and would not be checking into it

God I really don't miss this kind of shïte in the GAA. I can picture that being said, and the tone used.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭clint_silver

All enquiries to council or county has to go through club secretary. Same for all codes, cant have anyone ringing up.

It may have been just a flippant comment, if the guy is suspended and he's registered as a mentor, which he has to be, it will come up.

I think the comprehensive suspension is something like “all functions, privileges and competitions under the association’s control”.

If he was just suspended from playing then thats a different thing and shouldnt be a problem to be a manager or no more so then be the club accountant.

• Registered Users Posts: 9 Tomc21

All enquiries to council or county has to go through club secretary. Same for all codes, cant have anyone ringing up.

It may have been just a flippant comment, if the guy is suspended and he's registered as a mentor, which he has to be, it will come up.

I think the comprehensive suspension is something like “all functions, privileges and competitions under the association’s control”.

If he was just suspended from playing then thats a different thing and shouldnt be a problem to be a manager or no more so then be the club accountant.

It was not a flippant remark as 3 people brought up the issue and both the secretary and chairman siad it was a done deal no more discussion so does this mean club members have no recourse to find out information if the club secretary has full control ps this was all done at an executive meeting

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 332 ✭✭Exiled1

Yes. All communications must go through the secretary.
    It can be very frustrating at times, as in your situation, but if an executive committee agrees on something, then the only place to change is at an agm!
    It looks as if the officers are telling the executive to behave like sheep and simply accede to the Chairman/Secretary's decisions.
    Not the best way to run an executive committee if you want harmony and everybody pointing in the same direction.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,889 ✭✭✭clint_silver

Tomc21 wrote: »
    It was not a flippant remark as 3 people brought up the issue and both the secretary and chairman siad it was a done deal no more discussion so does this mean club members have no recourse to find out information if the club secretary has full control ps this was all done at an executive meeting

Well I was only suggesting it may have been flippant.

If the sec and chair have said its ok, then you kind of have to trust them. That's what they're there for. Just make sure it was noted in the minutes that it was asked and they said that it was ok. A club member should be able to ask a what and why but you might not get the answer youre looking for. The stock answer is if you want a say in anything on the exec, then go and sit on the exec. Can send in correspondence and look for a written answer back as they have to record all correspondence. The AGM is another place to get specific answers, make sure its submitted in writing before hand though to be discussed.

As for finding out from county what story is, it depends on your county secretary and what mood theyre in or how rigid they stick to the rules.
    Get their number, should be on county website, and call them and ask them out straight. As Id said earlier, it depends what the suspension is for.

Id tread carefully there, maybe Im wrong, but I get the feeling there's a bit more to it then just the suspension.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭howiya

Well I was only suggesting it may have been flippant.

If the sec and chair have said its ok, then you kind of have to trust them. That's what they're there for. Just make sure it was noted in the minutes that it was asked and they said that it was ok. A club member should be able to ask a what and why but you might not get the answer youre looking for. The stock answer is if you want a say in anything on the exec, then go and sit on the exec. Can send in correspondence and look for a written answer back as they have to record all correspondence. The AGM is another place to get specific answers, make sure its submitted in writing before hand though to be discussed.

As for finding out from county what story is, it depends on your county secretary and what mood theyre in or how rigid they stick to the rules.
    Get their number, should be on county website, and call them and ask them out straight. As Id said earlier, it depends what the suspension is for.

Id tread carefully there, maybe Im wrong, but I get the feeling there's a bit more to it then just the suspension.

I'd agree with the tread carefully remark. If you do contact the county board and the person is suspended you are effectively telling the county board that the person is breaking their suspension. Might not go down too well within your club.

• Registered Users, Moderators, Education Moderators, Sports Moderators, Regional South Moderators Posts: 15,247 Mod ✭✭✭✭rebel girl 15

howiya wrote: »
    I'd agree with the tread carefully remark. If you do contact the county board and the person is suspended you are effectively telling the county board that the person is breaking their suspension. Might not go down too well within your club.

On the other hand, county boards have many ways of finding out and then the club could be in serious trouble. It depends on what category of offense he was suspended for and whether it was in a playing capacity.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,212 ✭✭✭howiya

On the other hand, county boards have many ways of finding out and then the club could be in serious trouble. It depends on what category of offense he was suspended for and whether it was in a playing capacity.

Regardless of how they find out the club could be in serious trouble. All I'm saying is I think its best not to bring it on yourself by making the call and then club members attributing blame to you. As you say the county board will most likely find out for themselves.

• Advertisement
Advertisement