Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Garda Recruitment 2018

• 22-05-2018 1:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3

Hi

I have applied for the Garda Recruitment 2018 but I have a question regarding the training in Templemore for those that are successful.

Does every trainee have to reside at the college in Templemore or is there any exemption for example someone that's married or who has kids? Can they travel home every evening?

Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,311 ✭✭✭mrDerek

Colmd88 wrote: »
    Hi

I have applied for the Garda Recruitment 2018 but I have a question regarding the training in Templemore for those that are successful.

Does every trainee have to reside at the college in Templemore or is there any exemption for example someone that's married or who has kids? Can they travel home every evening?

Thanks

You have to stay in the college though if you reside nearby after 3 months they will probably let you live at home.
    Though if this is an issue for you. You should be aware 90+% of new guards get sent to Dublin

• Registered Users Posts: 6 Matk

Did anybody have difficulty downloading online PDF application

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭valc

Yep, unable to download. Any advice anyone?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,120 ✭✭✭justshane

I managed it but with a lot of messing and help form a computer expert. Completed it and sent it back, but not fully sure they will be able to read it in the format I sent. Any advice on who I could contact just to confirm that they have a PDF they can read on their side?

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭stiimpreza1984

Once you have the latest version of a PDF reader. Then go into downloads folder separately and then try opening the file.

I had Chrome as my browser and did find once downloaded at bottom by taskbar I couldn't open the file from there even with the latest version of PDF reader installed.

I had to go into download folder and from there it would open.

• Advertisement

Mind you I applied in September 2016 but it's the same process since.

justshane wrote: »
    I managed it but with a lot of messing and help form a computer expert. Completed it and sent it back, but not fully sure they will be able to read it in the format I sent. Any advice on who I could contact just to confirm that they have a PDF they can read on their side?

You should email: info@publicjobs.ie and they would be able to tell you. Quoting your candidate ID, etc

Thank you just did.

• Registered Users Posts: 3 Colmd88

Does anyone know the correct Garda pay scale for new recruits when they leave templemore? Everything i search has different figures

• Registered Users Posts: 5,115 ✭✭✭job seeker

Can anyone tell me what I have to up load into the "Application Attachment"? I have the completed application form to upload to the Upload Detailed Application..

• Advertisement

The completed PDF.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,714 ✭✭✭CZ 453

The bizarre thing about this recruitment campaign is the fact that if you pass all the exams etc you won't be called to Templemore until September 2020 at the earliest.

They are still working on the 2013 panel.

• Registered Users Posts: 206 ✭✭FIVE.0

CZ 453 wrote: »
    The bizarre thing about this recruitment campaign is the fact that if you pass all the exams etc you won't be called to Templemore until September 2020 at the earliest.

Where did you hear this?
    I know people who applied in June 17 and entered the college April 18 so I don't think your information is entirely correct.

FIVE.0 wrote: »
    Where did you hear this?
    I know people who applied in June 17 and entered the college April 18 so I don't think your information is entirely correct.

The horses mouth. The social welfare set up trainee info sessions where it was said by a Sgt from Phoenix park and a public jobs rep. This is what was said there.

The horses mouth. The social welfare set up trainee info sessions where it was said by a Sgt from Phoenix park and a public jobs rep. This is what was said there.

Jesus that's mad! Imagine getting in after 10 months and others waiting 5 years. What did they say the hold up was for the people waiting from 2013?

Jesus that's mad! Imagine getting in after 10 months and others waiting 5 years. What did they say the hold up was for the people waiting from 2013?

I asked could someone who scored better than the remainder of the 2013 panel get priority over them and was told no. They'd work through them first. However they said some people get delayed on earlier panels due to vetting and this is where people 'jump the queue'. I'm a bit surprised your buddy got in within a year yet others are still waiting since 2013. Surely 4 years is plenty enough time to sort out those vetting issues.

I asked could someone who scored better than the remainder of the 2013 panel get priority over them and was told no. They'd work through them first. However they said some people get delayed on earlier panels due to vetting and this is where people 'jump the queue'. I'm a bit surprised your buddy got in within a year yet others are still waiting since 2013. Surely 4 years is plenty enough time to sort out those vetting issues.

There was more than just him that got in to last Aprils intake from the 2017 competition.
    Yea you would think that there vetting would be well cleared by then. Makes ya wonder.

There was more than just him that got in to last Aprils intake from the 2017 competition.
    Yea you would think that there vetting would be well cleared by then. Makes ya wonder.

No joke-a chap asked did he have to put down everywhere he lived. The public jobs girl looked at him wondering was he joking. He then listed all the countries he lived in and said he didn't know who his father was.

• Registered Users Posts: 24 Catepillar1994

Would it have been worth while to apply for the garda reserves then if your waiting that long?

Living in different countries require contacting another countries police and hoping they are efficient. Some time they will take there sweet time getting back to the Gardaí.

Operation Shovel the Spanish attempted to take the Kinahan down in Spain flopped because it took to five years to respond to requests for information from Brazil. UK didn't send any info because they were waiting for it to be translate to English.
    so it doesn't surprise me that the vetting can take 4 years for some people living abroad at a stage.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,596 ✭✭✭adam88

Left it till last minute and now this stupid pdf file won’t open. Any ideas what to do. Tried it on a Mac and a windows laptop

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭kerryman85

adam88 wrote: »
    Left it till last minute and now this stupid pdf file won’t open. Any ideas what to do. Tried it on a Mac and a windows laptop

Download the file direct to your laptop, don’t open from the email

The public jobs website has crashed for applications.

• Registered Users Posts: 151 ✭✭Leeroyjenkins

I'm from September 2016 and I'm still waiting on an offer but loads from 2016 got offers back in November, some this year and some 2017 candidates this year as well.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 pedrigo

Anybody have any idea of the sort of numbers that applied? Must be high if the PAS website crashed today.

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Smallboy

pedrigo wrote: »
    Anybody have any idea of the sort of numbers that applied? Must be high if the PAS website crashed today.

I’d imagine it’s acfually kinda low since they extended the date till today, I think they were expecting higher numbers than what they actually achieved.

i heard last week it was roughly 2000 applicants. it was extended due to the a last minute submissions that crashed site

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

I notice that the upper age limit is 35, if someone was around that age applying I wonder would it weigh very heavily against them?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,341 ✭✭✭D Trent

I notice that the upper age limit is 35, if someone was around that age applying I wonder would it weigh very heavily against them?

Have a watch of this

• Registered Users Posts: 51 ✭✭mrmanor

i heard last week it was roughly 2000 applicants. it was extended due to the a last minute submissions that crashed site
    Where did you hear that from? I really hope that it's true, hopefully they can process people faster then!

• Advertisement

heard from some at the career service day. i was thinking it was low as well but sure we dont know 100% until they say,

Advertisement