Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all,
Vanilla are planning an update to the site on April 24th (next Wednesday). It is a major PHP8 update which is expected to boost performance across the site. The site will be down from 7pm and it is expected to take about an hour to complete. We appreciate your patience during the update.
Thanks all.

Classic wooden speedboat build , sink, search for, recovery and rebuild.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,496 ✭✭✭irishgrover

this whole sage would hav made a great RTE documentary....
    continued best of luck....
    I remember the first time I read this tread, in one go, from the beginning and I was so impressed by your craftmanship... and then I turned to the page about you loosing it, and I was genuinely shocked and horrified, honestly upset for you. Don't give up!

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭SCOL

What's the plan on bring it up ? will you be using Airbags ?

• Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

SCOL wrote: »
    What's the plan on bring it up ? will you be using Airbags ?

More than likely airbags or if needed Lakeside Marina have a barge for lifting sunken boats.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭Bigus

Amazing amount of boats , sunk on a lake how many go down per year ?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,805 ✭✭✭Alkers

fergal.b wrote:
    More than likely airbags or if needed Lakeside Marina have a barge for lifting sunken boats.

Any idea of the cost? You've found enough to keep them busy for a good while anyway!

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Motoring & Transport Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 6,320 Mod ✭✭✭✭fergal.b

Bigus wrote: »
    Amazing amount of boats , sunk on a lake how many go down per year ?

Lough Ree RNLI is the busiest in Ireland https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/hundreds-rescued-by-busy-lifeboat-crews-as-rnli-warns-public-of-dangers-of-irish-waters-30943216.html so I'm not surprised with the amount of boats :eek: also years ago if a boat got too old for use it was just towed out and sunk.

Simona1986 wrote: »
    Any idea of the cost? You've found enough to keep them busy for a good while anyway!

The divers do it as part of their training free of charge just a little donation to the club :) as for the lifting beg steal and borrow and call in all favours :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,938 ✭✭✭Bigus

fergal.b wrote: »
    Lough Ree RNLI is the busiest in Ireland https://www.independent.ie/irish-news/news/hundreds-rescued-by-busy-lifeboat-crews-as-rnli-warns-public-of-dangers-of-irish-waters-30943216.html so I'm not surprised with the amount of boats :eek: also years ago if a boat got too old for use it was just towed out and sunk.

Complacency of being "only"on a lake rather the the open sea, is obviously a factor , I suppose lads will take a chance on any auld yoke on a lake that they wouldn't dream of going to sea on .

Good luck with the outcome of the search .

• Registered Users Posts: 6,734 ✭✭✭knucklehead6

The divers do it as part of their training free of charge just a little donation to the club :) as for the lifting beg steal and borrow and call in all favours :D

I’d say if you were to contact RTÉ they might do a segment on it on countryfiles or something like that. Tease the salvagers with exposure and stuff and it might be a case of goodwill paying their fee

A few more from this weekend, all in the same spot there is also a large mound where it goes from 12 meters to 3 maybe this could be the cause of the large waves or possibly something to hit in a troff when the lake is low, just a thought :)

2018-05-20%202_zps38kctzac.png

I like this one.

THE%20HUNT%20DAY%203_zpsu3hqphan.jpg

THE%20HUNT%20DAY%203-4_zpspg43o6tz.jpg

THE%20HUNT%20DAY%203-5_zpsjltbwmi4.jpg

THE%20HUNT%20DAY%203%20-%202_zpsfeuf1wpw.jpg

THE%20HUNT%20DAY%203-6_zpsg9n8zbgo.jpg

THE%20HUNT%20DAY%203%20-%203_zpso9jfdhd4.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,357 ✭✭✭Tow

I imagine it may be hard to workout the exact position over her, but dd you try dropping a camera down?

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

Tow wrote: »
    I imagine it may be hard to workout the exact position over her, but dd you try dropping a camera down?

My camera only has 20 foot of cable so I can only go down about 15 foot also with all the water from the peat bogs turning the lake brown you can only see a foot or two. Just heard the one above is an old wooden cruiser, on we go :)

I'll leave these with you to see what you think. :)

2018-05-28_zpswecy4khg.png

2018-05-28%2029_zps2nfm1ljt.png

2018-05-28%2026_zps72yj4w2f.png

2018-05-28%2021_zpsk3k9powk.png

2018-05-28%2023_zps8kygossz.png

2018-05-28%2016_zpsu5cq1i0m.png

2018-05-28%2015_zpswzett6gb.png

2018-05-28%2019_zpsc6cwbocp.png

2018-05-28%2013_zpsskdowyvr.png

2018-05-28%2020_zpsyqr8kldm.png

2018-05-28%209_zpslmmroba3.png

2018-05-28%2012_zps0v2ouoo3.png

2018-05-28%207_zpspmso31tc.png

2018-05-28%2010_zpsuhub8fl2.png

2018-05-28%2011_zps1rldl2uk.png

2018-05-28%206_zpscmfxf3cr.png

2018-05-28%203_zpsv9uotcqq.png

2018-05-28%201_zpsxw0jffrs.png

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,687 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tabnabs

Looks suspiciously sailboat like

• Registered Users Posts: 6,357 ✭✭✭Tow

The shadow/shape above the bow looks like a yachts pulpit. I thought it could be an artifact of the sonar image, but it is on all the images.

4167000s.gif

When is the money (including lost growth) Michael Noonan took in the Pension Levy going to be paid back?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,820 ✭✭✭FanadMan

Aliens.........it's always aliens :D

Seriously though, it does look promising to my untrained eye. Gonna get divers down to it?

The dark areas are holes or shadows the lighter the colour the harder the surface like metal would show up white.

Yep the divers will have a look when they get a chance.

Tow wrote: »
    The shadow/shape above the bow looks like a yachts pulpit. I thought it could be an artifact of the sonar image, but it is on all the images.

4167000s.gif

It could also be my bow rope with 3 years of growth :) in-fact 3 years last Saturday.

• Registered Users Posts: 446 ✭✭SCOL

I'm just asking the question, what would happen if some one else lifted the boat could they clame ownership ? I know it's unlikely.

• Advertisement

I'm just asking the question, what would happen if some one else lifted the boat could they clame ownership ? I know it's unlikely.

There'd be a mob of Boardsies chasing them :D

No there is a law called steeling by finding where you can't just take something you find and keep it. I'm having the same problem with a boat I have my eye on but can't find the owner :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭ezra_

Any update on this?

I think I'm checking in on this thread more than I check courier sites when waiting for a delivery!

ezra_ wrote: »
    Any update on this?

I think I'm checking in on this thread more than I check courier sites when waiting for a delivery!

:) No nothing yet, it's very busy on the Ree at this time of year with all sorts of stuff going on sailing, fishing,swiming and a raft race that the guy's do support for besides the search and rescue, don't worry as soon as I know something the world and it's mother will know :)

:) No nothing yet, it's very busy on the Ree at this time of year with all sorts of stuff going on sailing, fishing,swiming and a raft race that the guy's do support for besides the search and rescue, don't worry as soon as I know something the world and it's mother will know :)

The screams of delight will be heard in the four corners of Ireland if she's found and floated :)

I'm at it day and night bloody hard work :D

20180604_104435_zpsw74fddcm.jpg

20180603_235927_zpst52eonjt.jpg

Look at what just popped up on facebook, might just put in an offer could save myself a few quid. :D.

Screen%20Shot%202018-06-14%20at%2015.41.04_zpsifkr4t7c.png

Another one found this weekend.

SEPT%2028_zpshb5emtyx.jpg

SEPT%2027_zpstoagicj4.jpg

SEPT%2026_zpsr41e3enk.jpg

SEPT%2025_zpsb6pyxnh7.jpg

SEPT%2024_zpsro3xn78h.jpg

SEPT%2020_zpsfeppvkbt.jpg

Not mine :( on we go.

40381351_10216976558917090_4866902132025982976_n_zpspbs8nsox.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,373 ✭✭✭ezra_

Sorry dude.

What happens with the boat they raised? Back to the bottom?

Advertisement